Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-23-2021, 09:41 AM   #1

2016 RAM CC CTD DRW Tow Vehicle

I have a 2017 Eagle 355 MBQS and I tow it with a 2016 RAM CC DRW CTD. The truck is fairly level hooked up truck handles weight well. However I have been thinking about firestone ride right air bags. At highway speed the truck has a lot of bounce if there is a transition in road or a expansion joint. Will airbags get rid of the bounce?

Fully loaded here are the truck & trailer numbers:

Steer axle: 5580
Drive axle: 7360
Trailer Axle: 10,580

Total axle: 23,520

16 Ram CC, DRW, CTD, 4WD fully loaded with fuel, me - wife - 2 kids. 17 355 MBQS everything for a week including full fridge and 3 bikes on rear.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:38 AM   #2

The best I can offer you is from having the factory airbags on what sounds like an identical truck towing a 377RLBH. When I raise the front jacks, my truck drops about 3 inches with just the pin weight. My pump kicks in and raises it right back up to where it was before the weight was added. Going down the road feels like a dream as the extra weight keeps the suspension from feeling like it’s made of concrete.

I’ve hit some nasty road bumps, and maybe because I’ve not bottomed out the suspension, have never really had anything come loose inside the camper.

The added benefit of the factory bags is the button allowing me to shut off the airbag if needed. My guess is that’d be useful for lighter trailers, where you might not want or need the extra suspension.

$.02...
JetTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 05:28 PM   #3

Have you replaced the OE shocks with good high quality? Factory shocks are garbage and they don't last long. Should be your first step.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 05:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetTech View Post
The best I can offer you is from having the factory airbags on what sounds like an identical truck towing a 377RLBH. When I raise the front jacks, my truck drops about 3 inches with just the pin weight. My pump kicks in and raises it right back up to where it was before the weight was added. Going down the road feels like a dream as the extra weight keeps the suspension from feeling like it’s made of concrete.

I’ve hit some nasty road bumps, and maybe because I’ve not bottomed out the suspension, have never really had anything come loose inside the camper.

The added benefit of the factory bags is the button allowing me to shut off the airbag if needed. My guess is that’d be useful for lighter trailers, where you might not want or need the extra suspension.

$.02...
I'm in the same boat as Jet...I've got a '16 Ram 3500 dually with the factory air bags. I hitch up and the bags fill up to compensate for the weight. Then I hit the hitch height button and the truck lowers to level out the ride. I really don't have a problem with how it rides...although I don't expect it to ride like a Cadillac! We've towed from Dallas to FL and up to Yellowstone without issue...and I travel with 3 women in the truck! They don't love the ride, but also don't complain.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:40 PM   #5
Site Team

What are you running for your rear tire air pressure? Too much pressure will definitely create some unnecessary bounce over expansion joints etc. I'm not sure what tire you are running, but I've attached an inflation table from Michelin. According to their table, 45 psi would be enough to handle your 7360 lb drive axle weight.

If you are running 80 psi in your rears currently, it may not be a bad idea to look up the inflation table for the tires that you are running and adjust your rear pressure accordingly. You never know, reducing that pressure may just smooth things out for you without having to add any additional equipment.

https://www.michelintruck.com/refere...tion-tables/#/
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2021-01-23 at 7.29.56 PM.jpg  
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
What are you running for your rear tire air pressure? Too much pressure will definitely create some unnecessary bounce over expansion joints etc. I'm not sure what tire you are running, but I've attached an inflation table from Michelin. According to their table, 45 psi would be enough to handle your 7360 lb drive axle weight.

If you are running 80 psi in your rears currently, it may not be a bad idea to look up the inflation table for the tires that you are running and adjust your rear pressure accordingly. You never know, reducing that pressure may just smooth things out for you without having to add any additional equipment.

https://www.michelintruck.com/refere...tion-tables/#/
I am running Bridgestone Duallers 55 in the rear & 80 in front