Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-10-2020, 05:08 PM   #1

2016 - Rubbing

Wife posted on Facebook under the Pinnacle group. However, she is in the process of cleaning up her Facebook, downloading files and will be deleting her account.

In early October we noticed tire rubbing on the driver side slide. We were told that the left springs were flat on that side and yes they were. They have been replaced, we had to have new tires and we thought we were good to go. NO

On our way to Missouri, I noticed the slide was rubbing the new tires, same side. And we also noticed the floor inside the trailer, between the oven & sink was slanting down, towards the slide. We made it as far as Eureka, Missouri & turned around. Our service guys contacted both Jayco & Lippert. It is not the new leaf springs and we are not overloaded. And we noticed when bringing in the slide that it now literally sits on the floor once it is all the way in. Never use to do that. It appears we still have an issue...broken outrigger? Attached are two photos.
Attached Thumbnails
12.jpg   13.jpg  
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 02:34 PM   #2

Mine all bent down, this was a major problem and they came out with a heavier outrigger. I straightened mine and bolted angle iron channel to then. At Jayco service center they replaced them with the heavier ones. There weld job last for a year. Had a mobile welder add steel plates and re do all welds. U have another one that I bet is bent way down. If u get a flashlight look up by the center Jack at frame. The stupid repair place missed that one but my repair I did is better than there’s. I had to remove the end panel by the front of tire to even get to it. It took a full day to Jack it back straight and bolt angle iron to both sides. Every 2016 FBTS had bent outriggers. Fingerlakes clued me in about that hidden one. It is just in front of the schwintec slide Assy and it is a longer outrigger and bent down at least an inch. The Pinnacles had a bigger problem since we are 8.6 feet wide and floor extends way past the frame. Search the threads on outriggers
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 07:45 PM   #3

You know what Rock... I don’t have one behind the panel. Whatever the support beam is that sits on top of the steel supports (I hear it is wood) cantilevers off my last visible support into the panel area.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 09:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
... U have another one that I bet is bent way down. If u get a flashlight look up by the center Jack at frame....
Rock
We winterized the unit and while there checked. Sure enough there is one & it is bent down. Will make sure our service guys are aware as well.

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 11-15-2020, 10:22 AM   #5

Like I said it is hidden and u would not have a clue it is there. So u know that big heavy slide is putting a bunch of weight on that floor. Think about it, that hidden outrigger is before the slide out and bent down. To repair unscrew that plastic panel in front of the tire. I used a bottle Jack and either a 2x4 or 4x4 to Jack it back straight. Than bolted a piece of three sided channel the length of the outrigger to both sides. Three years and still straight.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:26 AM   #6

Klassic,
This outrigger might be an FBTS or A Pinnacle add on since we are 8.6 wide. Did u get your busted gib replaced and pads installed.
Rock
Old 11-15-2020, 10:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Klassic,
This outrigger might be an FBTS or A Pinnacle add on since we are 8.6 wide. Did u get your busted gib replaced and pads installed.
Rock
A new rack and $2800 paid by extended warranty.
Best warranty I ever bought. I’m up to $8000 in extended warranty repairs now.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:44 AM   #8

I am about 4K on my warranty.
Old 11-17-2020, 05:16 PM   #9

Rock, Donna here so please be patient as I am trying to help Dennis research and I want to make sure I understand what we need to do. You mention jacking it back straight. What were you jacking straight? The slide? The frame? Did you have to elevate the bottle jack so it would extend far enough to raise whatever? How many bottle jacks did you have to use? Our floor is sloping down - did you have that issue & if so, how did you fix it? Or by fixing the outriggers that will also straighten the floor? I am just trying to understand. I did search the threads for "outriggers" and found the two pictures provided. Thanks in advance.

Klassic & Rock, which extended warranty company do you have?
Old 11-17-2020, 08:33 PM   #10

Marine 71-76. Rock here USCG 1972-1998. This is what u need to do to straighten out ur outrigger. Place something solid on the ground. Use a good sized bottle Jack and use a 2x4 and put the top of the 2x4 against the very end of the bent outrigger. Pump the Jack until the outrigger is pushed back up to straight. Now u can have a welder come in and weld plates to the side of the outrigger and frame. I straightened three bent outriggers and than bolted three sided steel channel to each side. I cut them on an angle so the one side was flushed matching up to the frame since the outrigger flange is on an angle. Jayco service center cut two of my repaired outriggers off and welded on the new heavier ones. They missed the hidden one and there two replacements welds failed. I had a welder add steel plates and fix the failed welds. My hidden outrigger I repaired is still straight.
Attached Thumbnails
7DDB7B31-477F-4724-A7CA-978679264BCC.jpg   4E82819D-C66F-442F-A613-50E97DD57CC8.jpg  
Old 11-17-2020, 08:41 PM   #11

My warranty company is XtraRide. My last repair place which I am not happy with and is a multi chain dealer said it is the best they have ever worked with to authorize work.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:26 PM   #12

My warranty is in Canada.
It was 7 years and $2000. Which translates to $20 USD. Lol
https://www.rvcare.ca/sal-finance.shtml

Pull your outside weather strip back on the side/bottom and see if the little white “V” roller can turn freely. If it can’t and looks like there is weight on it, then that’s not good.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:25 AM   #13

Thank you gentlemen...the information is extremely helpful.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:05 AM   #14

Klassic,
Top and bottom v rollers on kitchen and bedroom do not turn freely.
Old 11-18-2020, 05:21 PM   #15

Just got some not so good news from our repair facility. First Jayco has NOT returned their calls nor has Jayco replied to our customer service submission from last Thursday. So disappointed in Jayco right now.

Rock, we shared your repair information. When they got under the unit to compare with the repairs you made, they found another issue - the material under the slide is being torn. If they make the adjustments they are concerned it will cause further damage to the unit, in particular the slide. They are recommending it go back to Jayco for review/repair.

My wife had mentioned on her Facebook post that we have had metal shavings and now wood bits since we had the unit. Someone told her that it was coming from the air ducts. Yes we reported it to the dealership & they said it was because it was a new unit. Now we are wondering if it was a sign of other issues, such as what we are seeing now. And we should have "forced" the issue with the dealership. Oh well.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Klassic,
Top and bottom v rollers on kitchen and bedroom do not turn freely.
Mine do now and I watched a YouTube vid (that RV mechanic guy) of a broken slide fix.. he pointed out the v rollers don’t take any weight.

When my slide was broken, the v roller was messed up from the slide loading on it, bent down.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:46 PM   #17

Marine 71-76
The factory added big Teflon type material to the bottom of my slide where the rollers were wearing into that material. Every roller has a pad the full width of slide held to the bottom with flush screws. The pads are wider than the rollers. Ur dealer should know about that. I have seen many other manufactures doing that on new units along with the three track schwintec. The problem with our units the slide itself side walls are not reinforced to add the third track with new side mechanisms.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:51 PM   #18

Klassic,
So how can u possible raise the slide to relieve the pressure on the v roller without moving the slide racks up. That would requiring removing the slide. I wonder if I were to double up on that thick pads they put on the bottom at each roller would raise slide to relieve the v roller weight.
Rocl
Old 11-18-2020, 07:08 PM   #19

Check your bedroom slide Rock. See if they roll free. Mine still do, never had a issue with the bedroom slide. My bedroom slide is bigger than most and takes a piece of the bathroom with it. Still though, way lighter than the kitchen slide.

I really want to see a slide rack without the slide in the way, so I can see all the moving parts. I still don’t understand how they raised you enough to get the Teflon pads on top of the bottom rollers. Every thing I see, I see no adjustment for height on the rack. And the rack is solid screwed to the outside through that black flange with all those screws. Can’t see them making new screw holes.
I don’t even know what they did to make mine operate again. All screwed back into the same holes.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:09 PM   #20

My bedroom slide is just my queen bed but under the bed is full of stuff. Top and bottom v rollers u cannot turn. So as u know last year comming back from camp my kitchen slide back started moving out. The shaft dropped down from the motor. It came out about 6 inches and being cocked that was all it could move. Repair place talked with Jayco and they installed a plate at bottom of shaft. With my slide closed and looking up from the bottom at the rack I can see a metal el bracket screwed to the side holding it up against the bottom of the drive rack shaft. So it seems that shaft can move and float up and down a bit. The gib and spur gear must have space to move up and down on the two slide tracks. The only way to adjust is to move the slide up or down. I will bet in a year ur v rollers will be tight. The slide weight is pulling down on ur new rack assy which must wear on the gib bushing dropping the slide just slightly.
If I put a 2x4 under my slide I can Jack it up some. I bet if I did that my v rollers would move by hand. The factory told me the slide had to be adjusted just perfect to hit the sweet spot. When I asked how u adjusted that he said when they install the rack. So that means there is no way to adjust except adding those Teflon pads where the rollers are.
I am putting up a fence right now ( more hurricane Michael repairs) but when done I will Jack up my slide to see how much it takes to be able to move v rollers by hand.
Rock

Tags
outrigger