Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-20-2017, 02:19 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisenvy View Post
Well, I don't have any interest in trading, but if I got a lemon and they won't do anything about it I sure don't want to get stuck with this thing for years to come. If they would offer me a good deal on a trade in, I'd consider it. The reason I started this thread is to see if I got a lemon, if the newer ones were of better build quality, or if I traded would I end up in the same situation.
I cant see any reason why the newer ones would be of better quality. The industry cant crank them out fast enough to keep up with demand. My 2010 was a solid unit for 7 years until I sold it. Built in 2009 during the recession and when Jayco was still a family owned company.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:44 AM   #22

In my opinion there's no reason to expect better quality. So I inspect the roof every 6 months. But a leak happens when it happens. Leaks aren't on a schedule. So if I check at 6 months and it needs nothing then it leaks at 10 month I'm screwed? Somebody should build a quality unit. Amish my ass. This is the way the American auto makers were until the the Japanese invasion. Lazy ass people
robertopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:28 AM   #23

FWIW, my stick house roof needed to be inspected about every 6 months where there were roof penetrations. Most of the time I needed to recaulk at least one or two. Don't see any reason not to inspect the RV that often.

Our last trailer (Skyline Nomad) had a rubber roof. Inspected it when I first got it and sealed up a few places. TV ant was a 'weak' spot. After that was done I never had a seal problem or roof tear. That was 8 years of being outside east of Albuquerque. 6700ft elevation meant a lot of UV. Winters with over a foot of snow on the roof on a regular basis. Winter temps below zero. Summers over 100F. Small hail during summer. No damage. But, I still inspected it.

Inspect your roof. It can be torn in any number of ways.

Yes, there can be damage at the factory and there can be damage during delivery and on the dealer's loot. Inspect it before you buy it. And, yes, I added a little extra sealant at one joint when new.

And, yes, as long as my warranty is active I will dab some sealant somewhere every time I inspect it just to prove I did it.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:26 AM   #24

My roof does not have a leak. My roof hasn't leaked at all. My running lights on the tail of the rv are/were leaking and my warranty was denied because Jayco didn't see any new sealant on the roof. This had nothing to do with the roof, but my lights were leaking and has destroyed the rear of my camper.

Come on, it's a 2016 that I purchased in 2017 and this is already happening with no help at all from Jayco. The dealer said it looked like two of the rear lights had been broken off and toe nailed back in with screws. That wasn't me, but how do I prove I got a crap deal from the get go.
davisenvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:51 AM   #25

On top of all this, when I took my camper in for warranty work over the winter they replaced the awning. Not sure why, it looked fine to me. While looking for leaks on my roof I saw that several of the screws holding the awning to the camper were not in all of the way. I showed this to the owner of the dealership and he said to just tighten them down. Well, I tried to tighten them down today. 8 screws on each side. One side had 6 of the 8 stripped out and the other side had 5 of the 8 screws stripped. I could turn them with my fingers. I'm thinking this could be a problem. I'm also thinking the roof leaking may have been caused by the dealership while they were working on my camper over the winter, but how to prove it?
Old 07-24-2017, 04:17 AM   #26

Send a message via AIM to JeremiahM Send a message via MSN to JeremiahM
This is why I'm scared to take mine to dealer, seems this happens all too often, they go in for one thing, then all the sudden need a lot of other things done

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 07-24-2017, 10:17 AM   #27

Well I have good news and new news. I called bypassed my dealer and called Jayco myself. Jayco has approved a warranty claim to have the rear of my camper replaced. The new news is, over the winter the dealer replaced my awning under warranty. I didn't ask for it nor do I think I needed it. Jayco didn't have any record of this claim being approved. I found that most of the screws holding the awning frame to the camper were stripped out and only half way screwed in. Jayco told me that the stripped screws are a big issue and the dealer should have used some kind of silicon caulk around the screw holes (which there wasn't). The side of the camper is showing water damage around the screw holes. Jayco said the rear replacement isn't that big of a deal, buy replacing a side is a really big deal and it will be on the dealer to replace.

Good grief. Maybe I should take up golf.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:48 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisenvy View Post
Well I have good news and new news. I called bypassed my dealer and called Jayco myself. Jayco has approved a warranty claim to have the rear of my camper replaced. The new news is, over the winter the dealer replaced my awning under warranty. I didn't ask for it nor do I think I needed it. Jayco didn't have any record of this claim being approved. I found that most of the screws holding the awning frame to the camper were stripped out and only half way screwed in. Jayco told me that the stripped screws are a big issue and the dealer should have used some kind of silicon caulk around the screw holes (which there wasn't). The side of the camper is showing water damage around the screw holes. Jayco said the rear replacement isn't that big of a deal, buy replacing a side is a really big deal and it will be on the dealer to replace.

Good grief. Maybe I should take up golf.

I don't know. Between green fees, and "I need a new driver"-itis you'll probably spend more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:12 AM   #29

It's CYA from the stand point of the manufacturer doing everything in their power to throw up reasons to not honor the warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
With our Forest River its every 90 days. There is a sticker right on the trailer saying so. Who gets up on their roof and inspects seals every 3 months? Its all just a CYA thing.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:48 AM   #30

Picked up our 2017 317RLOK in April and so far I'm not real happy with Jayco or my dealer Dunlap RV. We thankfully haven't experienced any major component problems but a laundry list of minor issues that the dealer is having trouble fixing or getting parts for. So far they have to replace the couch because the stitching is coming out in a few places, a dinette chair, 2 window shades, we have a leak in the dump station, shower drain and sink drain. Of course the dealer claimed all of the leaks were fixed during our last visit but no, leaking like a sieve again this weekend.

So far I'm not impressed with my first Jayco.
bender88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:58 AM   #31

How big of a guy can go up inspect the roof I'm 6'2" and 250 lbs. Afraid I may cause more problems then help going on the roof
Cdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:31 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender88 View Post
Picked up our 2017 317RLOK in April and so far I'm not real happy with Jayco or my dealer Dunlap RV. We thankfully haven't experienced any major component problems but a laundry list of minor issues that the dealer is having trouble fixing or getting parts for. So far they have to replace the couch because the stitching is coming out in a few places, a dinette chair, 2 window shades, we have a leak in the dump station, shower drain and sink drain. Of course the dealer claimed all of the leaks were fixed during our last visit but no, leaking like a sieve again this weekend.

So far I'm not impressed with my first Jayco.
Was the dinette chair one of the folding chairs? Mine broke the first weekend I used it, and the only person to use it was my 35 pound granddaughter. Not a very robust piece of furniture.
dmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:02 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdaddy View Post
How big of a guy can go up inspect the roof I'm 6'2" and 250 lbs. Afraid I may cause more problems then help going on the roof
https://youtu.be/Sgmts9CVzGw

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:48 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
Was the dinette chair one of the folding chairs? Mine broke the first weekend I used it, and the only person to use it was my 35 pound granddaughter. Not a very robust piece of furniture.
No, one of the regular ones. The back cushion fell off and wont stay on.
bender88 is offline   Reply With Quote