Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2022, 11:13 AM   #1

2017 28.5 RSTS water selector issue

Today while sitting outside the camper I noticed water dripping out the flat black overflow snorkel in the back of the 5th wheel. I am just coming out of being winterized so I know there wasnt supposed to be water in the holding tank.

I checked my hookup and everything is where it should be. I am now draining the water tank (been a hour and still coming out so it was full and overflowing was working appropriately) and have the water shut off at the pedestal to eliminate the source now. Once the main drain stops leaking I am going to turn the water back on at the pedestal with the main drain open and in the city selection on the panel to see if water starts coming out again on the main drain.

If it does I would then assume I have a leaky selector valve where in the city selection its actually leaking into the "Fill" holding tank selection and filling it up when it shouldnt be.

Has anyone else had this happen to them and if so what was the fix? I assume a new behind the panel selector valve?

TIA, Jim
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 03:30 PM   #2

If you have your dry camping valves not fully engaged off, you will overfill your water tanks while hooked up to city water.. I learned this the hard way..
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 03:37 PM   #3

Could also be a piece of debris in the pump check valve allowing water to flow back to the tank. Turn off the city water and switch to the tank. Then run the pump for a few minutes to see if that clears it up.
Old 02-25-2022, 04:02 PM   #4

Grumpy, I think you are correct. I do have a whole house filter in line but hey ya never know. After 1+ hours the tank is finally drained and the water has finally stopped coming out of the drain while in the City position.

kirkelli, I am not sure what dry docking valves are but my panel is pretty basic. If this acts up again I will remove and replace the whole valve assembly.

Thanks for the reply guys.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote