Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-20-2017, 09:40 AM   #1

2017 325BHQS frequent dead battery

Hi all,

It appears that each time I park our 325 for more than about a week or so (with everything turned off), when I come back the battery is completely dead. I admit that this last time I did not disconnect the battery when I left it. But I'm curious, what could be draining a full battery in the span of a week if everything is shut off?

As a follow on, has anyone added a Go Power 160w Weekender kit to their trailer to continuously trickle charge the battery?
sean.harp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:54 AM   #2

I'm guessing you can keep it plugged into power where you park it?
All the electronic items pull power even when off. The battery disconnect doesn't kill power to everything. Some items still get power. Either to keep memories alive or is required by code like the LP detector.
You can disconnect the batteries but depending on the item, you could loose memories. Like the auto leveling system will eventually forget its level setting. Clocks, radio settings and such.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:56 AM   #3

Nope, unfortunately there's no way to keep it powered where I must park it.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean.harp View Post
Nope, unfortunately there's no way to keep it powered where I must park it.
Then you'll have to physically disconnect the battery.

All the wires from one side (safest: negative). Will have to be disconnected.

Otherwise the CO detector, radio, fridge controller, USB charger, etc. will treat your battery to the Death of a million flea bites.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:02 AM   #5

Just last weekend I installed a battery cut off switch in the lid of my battery box. As mentioned there are things that always draw battery power even with everything off unless the battery is disconnected. I don't remember what I spent exactly but $20 or so for the switch, some additional battery wire. I had a step bits for drilling the hole, pop rivet gun, RTV gasket maker. I still want to make a lanyard for my "key" so it stays with the camper.

I didn't use this exact switch but my install is very similar to what was done on here.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:03 AM   #6

the biggest culprits are usually the radio and the gas detector, on mine they take about 2 watts, so 2 amps per day, a 10 or 20 watt solar panel would be enough to maintain the battery.... I installed a 100watt panel on mine and never looked back.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:04 AM   #7

It isn't possible to provide shore power where I must park the 325. I'm mostly concerned about the reduced life of the battery from repeatedly draining it completely.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:07 AM   #8

Sean, You say "everything off", are you using a battery disconnect or just making sure everything is in the "odd" position? I believe even a battery disconnect (factory installed) will still power the brake break-away switch and the CO/Propane detectors so there will always be parasitic drain. With the batt connected there will be even more (thermostat, radio, Television come to mind). I've started bringing the battery home when the 5th is in storage. I like to charge it and install it the day before we leave for a trip and start the fridge on propane.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:12 AM   #9

By "everything off" I mean everything switched off and typically also the factory battery disconnect also removed. I know for fact that the auto-level control panel is still powered even with the factory disconnect removed, so it's definitely all the stuff still plugged in that is draining it. I'm not super concerned about the memory in any of the appliances, so I may just disconnect the neg battery terminal when I store it.

I'm contemplating a small solar panel as the 325 is prepped for it, as well as another battery in addition to this one.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:20 AM   #10

Your smoke detector, propane detector/CO detectors are all drawing current from the battery. You either need to keep the trailer plugged in or disconnect the battery to prevent the dead battery syndrome.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:23 AM   #11

If the battery has been completely dead twice, the battery is already damaged and will provide less life and less reserve.

If you did go with solar, be sure it's output will cover the parasitic draws and plus some to keep the ahead and be able to keep the battery charged.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:45 PM   #12

I purchased a "smart" battery charger
and now I pull the battery out of the trailer when I drop it, take it home and hook it to the smart charger. Good news is that the battery is not a lost cause. It's healthy and holding a 100% charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk