Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2017, 08:14 AM   #1

2017 Ford and 27.5RKDS

New guy here, first post.

Looking hard on the above 5er, but worried about clearance issues. The truck is a short bed F-350 4x4 with I hope an Anderson hitch. I have read a few problems of nose high travels with the new Fords that can be costly to fix, is this a true statement? I understand the option of 16" wheels can help some but cant confirm this. I don't really don't want to dump a whole lot of money into a brand new rig just to get it to ride well going down the road. I hope someone with this set-up could offer real world experience. Thank-you.
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:42 AM   #2

I'm wondering the same thing
dksmith17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:50 AM   #3

Can you physically go measure the 27.5 RKDS overhang? That way you's know if your truck will work. I would measure the truck bed at the axle center line.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:11 AM   #4

Our truck wont be here until the middle of Aug. (Ordered May 8). It's just that we really like the 27.5 rear kitchen. After looking at many, many 5ers this is the one we want.
What has me worried a little is a couple of comments in different forums about bed clearance and nose high towing when using the new Ford truck. We may have to wait until we get the truck and Anderson hitch to measure. If I find any TRUE answers, I'll report back.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:29 AM   #5

Is your truck a SRW if so what size tires.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:35 AM   #6

Ooops... SRW. 18" wheels, LT265/65 tires.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK49er View Post
Ooops... SRW. 18" wheels, LT265/65 tires.
That will help. If your set on the HT Definitely get the 16's. You can have them adjust the trailer up. A lot just depends on how many miles you are going to put on it and how long you think you will keep it. For me things like heavy duty wet bolts and shackles and extra bracing are things I'm going to have. If they have a good service department you can get it all done at one time. In the long run not that much more and a lot better for the camper.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2naEagle View Post
That will help. If your set on the HT Definitely get the 16's. You can have them adjust the trailer up. A lot just depends on how many miles you are going to put on it and how long you think you will keep it. For me things like heavy duty wet bolts and shackles and extra bracing are things I'm going to have. If they have a good service department you can get it all done at one time. In the long run not that much more and a lot better for the camper.
Could you take a moment and tell me what truck and 5er you have? I just want the 5er to tow level and have enough clearance to be comfortable with the bed rails. Thank-you.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:55 PM   #9

AK49er,

Although I do not have a Ford and I do not have a 350/3500, I do have a HT 27.5 pulling with a 2015 Silverado 2500. The TV has 20" tires from the factory. The FW has the 15" Goodyear Endurance tires and the axle is on the bottom of the springs from the factory. I have 5" clearance from the top of the tailgate and 6" clearance at top of the forward most bed rails. The FW tows about 4" nose high with my Reese Titan 16K/Slider hitch on it's lowest position.

The FW has not been raised at the shackles which might give me another inch. The real problem is if you are getting the automatic levelers. My rear levelers are only 6" above ground level and they cannot be moved any higher on the frame attachment point.
2019 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax - SRW - 4WD - CC - LTZ - 8' Bed
Reese M5 20K
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK49er View Post
Could you take a moment and tell me what truck and 5er you have? I just want the 5er to tow level and have enough clearance to be comfortable with the bed rails. Thank-you.
[IMG][/IMG]
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2017 F350
Old 07-10-2017, 03:43 PM   #11

Thanks to both of you guys! One has the trailer we're interested in and the other has the truck we have on order. Maybe you guys can meet up show me pics.(just kidding).
Like I said before, maybe just wait on truck and then go from there. Dinners ready or I would type more. Have a vice day.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:57 PM   #12

I'm not sure whats so hard about this. There has to be plenty of the same exact truck on dealer lots near you. Just run down and measure one. You can even call the fleet manager and have them look up the specs for the truck.
Any Jayco dealer that has a 27.5 on their lot would be able to get the over hang number for you.
Or any owner on the forum that has one could measure the underside of the overhang.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:35 PM   #13

Got it covered Thank-you.