Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-01-2016, 06:44 PM   #21

It doesn't replace the standard dump, but is in addition to it. You can choose which to use, and both have their own valves isolating whichever you choose to use.

2016 Ram 3500 4X4 Dually, 6.7 Cummins, 3.73
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH, Cummins/Onan Gen
JetTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 07:34 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetTech View Post
It doesn't replace the standard dump, but is in addition to it. You can choose which to use, and both have their own valves isolating whichever you choose to use.
At the time I was placing my order the 2017 options had just been released for the Eagle Fifth Wheels and that was one of the things both myself and my dealer were unclear on is if it was an in addition too or a replace. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:31 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkim View Post
It has been a rough first two weeks of being a new RV owner. Our biggest problem right now is our leveling system is telling us were "out of stroke". Anyone else have this issue?
The mobile RV guy is coming tomorrow to fix a list of warranty issues a mile long. I just want to curl up in a ball and cry. I'm not coping well at all at this point.
I suppose it was too much to ask that when you buy something brand new that there would be no issues. If there was an issue it would be an easy fix. Make at the Jayco warranty center has walked us through a couple of things, but dang it's all becoming overwhelming.

Thanks for letting me vent. If you have any suggestions or advice I/we would greatly appreciate it.

Kim and Cathy
40 feet trouble...
We just bought the 2016 version of the same trailer as our first trailer last month. Who says start small. I agree that it is overwhelming. The 2 hour pre-inspection is just not enough and like you we had issues our first day out that required hurried phone calls to the dealer before they closed. They too have to address a few issue before it went to winter storage.

We wanted to take it Florida for the winter but the learning curve it too steep.

Good luck!
Srp66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:13 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkim View Post
It has been a rough first two weeks of being a new RV owner. Our biggest problem right now is our leveling system is telling us were "out of stroke". Anyone else have this issue?
The mobile RV guy is coming tomorrow to fix a list of warranty issues a mile long. I just want to curl up in a ball and cry. I'm not coping well at all at this point.
I suppose it was too much to ask that when you buy something brand new that there would be no issues. If there was an issue it would be an easy fix. Make at the Jayco warranty center has walked us through a couple of things, but dang it's all becoming overwhelming.

Thanks for letting me vent. If you have any suggestions or advice I/we would greatly appreciate it.

Kim and Cathy
40 feet trouble...
Could you share your list of repairs needed and what the results of the "On Site" repairs were. Did they have to take it in to the shop?

2017 Jayco North Point 377 RLBH
2016 Ford F350 Platinum White DRW
NitroStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:30 PM   #25

Tow Vehicle

So I'm one of the guys who buys the trailer before the truck, and I'm trying to figure out which one I should get. I'm between a Ram 2500 diesel and a GMC 2500 Denali Diesel. The Ram looks good because it can tow 17,400 I think? and offers rear air leveling that I think would help. But the truck that I've had my eye on was just sold, so now I'm running out of 2016 Rams with the options I want. I love the Denali, but I'm not sure how bad it will squat hooked up to the camper without the help of rear air. Any advice?
mjudkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:59 AM   #26

My Silverado 2500hd does not squat much at all. The spring pack on the rear of these trucks are pretty stout. I think sometime in the future I would like to add rear airbags, but certainly no need to hurry. I think you would be just fine with either choice, but it really comes down to which you prefer and which one has the options and comfort you like better. They are both really good trucks in my opinion.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Duramax SB SRW
schiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:07 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiguy View Post
My Silverado 2500hd does not squat much at all. The spring pack on the rear of these trucks are pretty stout. I think sometime in the future I would like to add rear airbags, but certainly no need to hurry. I think you would be just fine with either choice, but it really comes down to which you prefer and which one has the options and comfort you like better. They are both really good trucks in my opinion.
Thanks for the info. How well does your truck handle the camper? I've heard a lot of people say you need a dually for the bigger fifth wheel, but I just really don't want to drive a dually everyday.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:06 AM   #28

I have had no problems at all. If I was full-timing and the only thing my truck did was pull the camper around, I would probably go with a dually, but my truck does great.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Duramax SB SRW
schiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:22 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjudkins View Post
So I'm one of the guys who buys the trailer before the truck, and I'm trying to figure out which one I should get. I'm between a Ram 2500 diesel and a GMC 2500 Denali Diesel. The Ram looks good because it can tow 17,400 I think? and offers rear air leveling that I think would help. But the truck that I've had my eye on was just sold, so now I'm running out of 2016 Rams with the options I want. I love the Denali, but I'm not sure how bad it will squat hooked up to the camper without the help of rear air. Any advice?
Assuming you bought a 377RLBH, the issue you'll run up against with any 2500, is the payload capacity. The 377 is around 3000 lbs of pin weight, exceeding most 2500 capabilities. Speaking from experience here, having had to trade a brand new Ram 2500 Cummins up to a 3500 Cummins. Both pull the trailer weight, but only the 3500 has the payload capacity. We went with a DRW on the 3500 to give extra peace of mind, but it wasn't required. Both had the airbag option, and I absolutely LOVED the 2500 with the 4 link suspension and adjustable ride height. If it weren't for the question of what happens in case of an insurance claim, we'd still have it. But last thing I ever would want to face is a claim that won't get paid due to over-loading the truck!
Old 11-10-2016, 01:27 PM   #30

And just for the record, the 3500 with the airbags, is a stiffer ride because the airbags are only used to supplement the leaf springs when you have a load placed within the bed of the truck to bring the truck back up to level. The 2500, because it has no coil springs even around the airbag, can be adjusted slightly up or down for a more comfortable ride, and it was a MUCH more comfortable ride! It just couldn't legally handle the payload required to tow the 377RLBH.

Old 11-10-2016, 05:41 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetTech View Post
Assuming you bought a 377RLBH, the issue you'll run up against with any 2500, is the payload capacity. The 377 is around 3000 lbs of pin weight, exceeding most 2500 capabilities. Speaking from experience here, having had to trade a brand new Ram 2500 Cummins up to a 3500 Cummins. Both pull the trailer weight, but only the 3500 has the payload capacity. We went with a DRW on the 3500 to give extra peace of mind, but it wasn't required. Both had the airbag option, and I absolutely LOVED the 2500 with the 4 link suspension and adjustable ride height. If it weren't for the question of what happens in case of an insurance claim, we'd still have it. But last thing I ever would want to face is a claim that won't get paid due to over-loading the truck!
I was unsure about the payload issue, thanks for the clarification. When we did the walkthrough I asked the service tech about the pin weight and if that was the correlation with payload and he was unsure. We did go with the built in Onan 5500 gas generator as well. So the skinny is if the pin weight exceeds the payload rating, then the insurance company would not cover a claim in the case of a crash?
Old 11-10-2016, 05:53 PM   #32

Not sure about the insurance thing I have never heard of that. I can say with GM trucks the 2500 verses a 3500 the only real difference is the signal over load springs on the rear. The brakes and axles are all the same on a truck with a DURAMAX. The 3500 does not have TPM system, the differences are very small and price is almost the same.
Just the little i know.
Jscrib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:15 PM   #33

Quote:
I was unsure about the payload issue, thanks for the clarification. When we did the walkthrough I asked the service tech about the pin weight and if that was the correlation with payload and he was unsure. We did go with the built in Onan 5500 gas generator as well. So the skinny is if the pin weight exceeds the payload rating, then the insurance company would not cover a claim in the case of a crash?
My understanding is that IF the insurance was looking for a way around paying a $150k claim, if you are overloaded in any way, then they may use that as a reason not to pay. Not trying to scare ya, just giving you the info as I know it.

With the '16 Rams, the suspension is totally different between a 2500 and a 3500. The 2500 uses a 4 link coil suspension (the airbag option replaces the coil springs if elected), and the 3500 uses leaf springs. I'd recommend the airbag upgrades on either, as the pin weight is substantial on the 377 and the truck will sag. The bags on the 3500 are in addition to the springs, so only come into play when loaded up.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:44 PM   #34

Quote:

I have a2016 3500 Denali. Virtually same price as a 2500. Truck and trailer are both Fully loaded with every option. I have the generator and 3 propane tanks in the front of the camper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:09 PM   #35

Quote:

Despite all the fear and talk no one has ever had a RV claim denied due to overweight. I'm in no way condoning or justifying it. It's just a simple fact of auto insurance.

Take for example speeding or taking a turn to fast. Insurance companies are still obligated to pay any claims from those accidents despite your reckless behavior . Again, NOT encouraging the behavior just explaining.

Denying a claim is extremely difficult for any insurance company because they have to prove intent. Such as you intended to run a red light and hit another car vs. just not paying attention. By pulling a heavy trailer you, I am guessing are 99.99% not intending to have an accident.

Unless you are in an accident that draws the attention of the NTSB they will not have the time and resources to deal with all those details. Every see an RV in an accident? Not much left, think they are going to pick up all the parts, weight them and establish where they were prior to the accident????

Rant over.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:26 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoojs12840 View Post

I have a2016 3500 Denali. Virtually same price as a 2500. Truck and trailer are both Fully loaded with every option. I have the generator and 3 propane tanks in the front of the camper.

Thanks for sharing. I'm leaning heavily toward the 3500 Denali. How well does it handle pulling the trailer? And what kind of fuel mileage do you get?
Old 11-10-2016, 10:32 PM   #37

I have about 10000 miles towing it since I got it in April. Drove from sea to shining sea this year with it. Pulls it great don't have any issues stopping, maintaining speed or getting up to speed. I got 11-11.5 when towing and we are fully loaded on weight. The Denali has a clinometer in the dash and when I hook up it only changes the angle by 1deg. And that's with no assist or airbags on the back.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:41 PM   #38

Quote:
I have about 10000 miles towing it since I got it in April. Drove from sea to shining sea this year with it. Pulls it great don't have any issues stopping, maintaining speed or getting up to speed. I got 11-11.5 when towing and we are fully loaded on weight. The Denali has a clinometer in the dash and when I hook up it only changes the angle by 1deg. And that's with no assist or airbags on the back.

Yeah from the picture it looks pretty level. And the 11-11.5 doesn't sound too bad, however I don't really have a reference to go on. I had a 7.3 Ford 10 years ago and it got around 12 without pulling anything.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:02 AM   #39

Quote:
Despite all the fear and talk no one has ever had a RV claim denied due to overweight. I'm in no way condoning or justifying it. It's just a simple fact of auto insurance.

Take for example speeding or taking a turn to fast. Insurance companies are still obligated to pay any claims from those accidents despite your reckless behavior . Again, NOT encouraging the behavior just explaining.

Denying a claim is extremely difficult for any insurance company because they have to prove intent. Such as you intended to run a red light and hit another car vs. just not paying attention. By pulling a heavy trailer you, I am guessing are 99.99% not intending to have an accident.

Unless you are in an accident that draws the attention of the NTSB they will not have the time and resources to deal with all those details. Every see an RV in an accident? Not much left, think they are going to pick up all the parts, weight them and establish where they were prior to the accident????

Rant over.

No need to weigh the parts. All they'd need to do is look up the stickers inside your door and posted on the side of your RV. But to point out the elephant in the room, I'd rather not have the accident in the first place. Hence, staying within posted specs. With my previous 2500, the payload was 2400 pounds. The pin weight with gen installed is in the neighborhood of 3100 lbs. Add another 150 for your hitch, plus the weight of any passengers and driver, plus cargo in your front pass-through compartment and anything else in your truck. You could quickly approach 4k-5k on your pin. The 3500 SRW moved the payload up to around 4k lbs, the DRW to about 5400. Dually might be overkill, but the 2500 might just get ya killed moving that 377 around!

Here's a link with Ram's engineering towing specs that might help with their product:

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/bodybuil...de/2016/ramHD/
Old 11-11-2016, 01:15 AM   #40

Here's an interesting set of posts from one of the forums, well worth a read:

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...print/true.cfm