Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-24-2017, 07:40 AM   #1

2017 Quality vs 2018

Just wanting some opinions on what others are seeing in Jayco product quality year over year. We are looking at either a North Point or Pinnacle. We currently own an Eagle TT. After being at several shows this year, the build quality of the North Point and Pinnacle on the 2018 units seemed impressive from what we could see. There are a lot of left over 2017's that out in dealer inventory that they can't give away which is raising suspicion as to why. The build quality of the 2017's we looked at are horrendous. Yesterday we looked at a north point and pinnacle with date codes of 5/2017. Both brand new. The north point had roof leak around the A/C duct, ceiling trim falling off, outside lower trim skirting joints appeared an elementary class cut the seems and installed. The pinnacle had floor sqeaks at shower entry, pantry shelving had screws not even attaching shelving to the wall, kitchen faucet not even attached to countertop- falling over, and Lippert leveling system, Lippert axles, both of which I've been reading is junk.
Seems like Thor came in the end of 2016, created lots of disgruntled employees assembling these models at least first half of 2017.

We have been hearing few years back about Keysrtone having some QC issues but Thor- there is no one saying anything good about products they build. Even a Jayco factory rep we spoke to recently at a show put his head down when I asked about Thors influence on Jayco. With that said- the 2018's seem much better quality, fit and finish than the 2017's we looked at in dealer inventory. Now Thor could have build specific models just for these shows to improve their QC image but in turn the units delivered to us the consumers are of poorer quality. Just asking some fellow savey buyers like myself your opinions. Thanks
Firefighter78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:08 AM   #2
Site Team

I can't see where there would be much difference in quality in units built before or after May 2017. Probably just luck of the draw.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:24 AM   #3

We were at the factory earlier this year and went into both the '17 & '18 Eagles they had on display - build quality was about the same.

While looking before deciding on the Pinnacle we were in several '17 and '18 NP and it was a mixed bag - you couldn't pay me to take a couple of the '17, but there were also some that were pristine. IIRC the '18 units were all in good shape.

For the most part the '17 Pinnacle we were in were also in good shape, with only a few minor things to be adjusted/fixed. Can't speak to the '18 Pinnacle, but hoping for the best, especially as we anticipate our unit arriving at the dealer any day now.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:59 PM   #4

We had a 2015 Pinnacle and moved into a 2018 in July. Once we learn and understand the difference between buying a car and buying an RV, we had a better experience. Our 2015 developed fiberglass cracks, roof seperation and frame twist. Jayco in Spring 2017, yes well after the Thor acquisition, gave us a brand new 2018 (built to our specs) and paid the $32k trade difference. So I do believe the warranty and customer service at Jayco is still intact. As for our 2018, the upgrades between 2017 and 2018 are amazing. Dozens of really nice changes. Almost 3 month in our new RV, we have had very minor issues; most of which I self help. Call my warranty rep, she gets me the parts, the service guy shows me the repair if needed and I don't disturb our homestead. So anyhow short answer, loved our 2015 but issues, absolutely love our 2018 and no significant issues so far.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:10 PM   #5

I would be quite surprised to see a dramatic quality improvement this soon after a corporate takeover. Especially given that these companies are working full time just to keep up with orders.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:43 PM   #6

No Surprise

UNFORTUNATELY I'm the owner of a 2018 Jayco Eagle. I wish I'd done more research before actually buying.

To answer your question about QUALITY in 2018, your answer,
"THERE ISN'T ANY".

If I had more time I'd go into all the repairs that have been required since taking delivery on 8/28/17.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:56 AM   #7

I have a 2017 Northpoint 381DRQS that was built in Jan 17 and I took delivery early July. I think I got lucky as just minor details repairs that I have fixed myself. Entry door latch hard to close. Simple lube and adjust to fit better. Closet door screws stripped. Toothpick and gorilla glue and door fixed. Simple detail stuff that I have had to variations to these repairs on all of the past five 5th wheels of different brands. Randu
Randu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1 View Post
UNFORTUNATELY I'm the owner of a 2018 Jayco Eagle. I wish I'd done more research before actually buying.

To answer your question about QUALITY in 2018, your answer,
"THERE ISN'T ANY".
I've had just about the opposite experience with my Eagle. I have had only one minor problem with my 2018 325BHQS, after two trips. I'm going out for 4 days this coming weekend, so hopefully if there is anything wrong I'll find it.

Sorry for your bad experience, but so far my camper is top notch.
rfortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:08 AM   #9

Our 2017 has been ok. Typical stuff as far as I am concerned. Maybe if I bought a top of the line model I'd be a little more concerned.

Construction is typical of other RV's I have had and that relatives have owned. Cheap.

Nothing major in the 9 months we have lived in it (full time).

If you want a really high quality unit then you have to go to a high end trailer. I would not put Jayco in that category. Of course you will probably pay much more as well, and, it will be much heavier for the same size trailer.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote