Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-31-2018, 04:22 PM   #1
SJT

2018 28.5RSTS 5th Wheel Kitchen Slide Problem

Hello everyone, this is my first post. Unfortunately not a happy one. First let me say my wife and I completely love our unit. We are Canadian and our first trip was the last two weeks to Charleston and the Emerald Isle in N. Carolina. The unit was exceptional but for one BIG problem. The kitchen slide would go out slowly but coming in it was horrible, timing out numerous times and taking as long as 15 minutes to get closed.It has been in twice for this problem with no positive results. This time we notices significant wear on the top door side gear track. The slide does not seal tightly. Two screw heads on the top metal flashing strip sealing the slide roof material snapped and the flashing was bent, and worst of all, we found moisture on the floor of the slide inside the cupboard beside the fireplace. It looks like it could be too tight and jamming on one side or the other. We were told by a Jayco service manager that the problem was likely a weight problem and the slide was too heavy for a Schwintek system. Seems like a lame excuse to me. But we put only light items in the slide. Any suggestions would be very helpful before we take it in again. Thanks.
SJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 04:46 PM   #2

Very sorry to hear that you are having a problem. We love ours also.

We have the same year and FW. We have the kitchen slide packed with cast iron pots, dishes, pans, etc., and a full refrigerator. Ours has work well so far. I think the service guy is serving up a load of BS. There seems to be a build and/or mechanical issue. I would take some pictures and contact Jayco for help with warranty. Good luck.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:07 PM   #3
SJT

Thanks for the reply. I agree 100%. I will do as you suggest. I assume you are saying to go direct to Jayco before I take it into the dealership. I can also supply the service forms to show what has been done along with the pictures..
Old 03-31-2018, 07:47 PM   #4

If your dealer cannot fix the problem contact Jayco along with your VIN and any pictures. Jayco will lookup the VIN and can see what work has been done by your dealer under warranty. Sometimes they will allow you to get a quote from a non dealer repair shop and cover it that way. Jayco is real good about stepping up and fixing problems, its usually the dealers that seem to have a problem fixing them.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:03 PM   #5
SJT

Thanks. That gives me a little peace of mind. I will contact them this week. I'll leave some feedback when I hear from them. Thanks so much.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:32 AM   #6

Check slide seals also, the bottom one on my kitchen slide was cut to long and bunched up. It would hang up on the rollers under the slide and cause all kinds of issues. Made the slide struggle to close, kick out, get out of sync. Dealer has it now waiting on new seal, so I’m hoping that was the only issue with it.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:04 PM   #7

2018 28.5rsts

I feel your pain, I just bought one and it seems that the dealer does not have any QUALIFIED people working on these outfits. I have called them about several issues and my questions go unanswered. So I end up calling Jayco. You have a two year warranty, take pictures and tell Jayco who the dealer is and how unsatisfied you are. It is very frustrating I know.
bill737cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:49 AM   #8

I would agree with others here. I have the same year and model and also have cast iron pans, etc in the slide compartments and it closes just fine. I would bypass the dealer and go straight to Jayco. I am on my fourth Jayco with nary a problem. They have a reputation for backing up what they sell.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:30 PM   #9

We took our 28.5rsts out this last weekend for the first time and our kitchen unit comes in crooked. I have to extend it and bring it in again. I had 12 issues with the unit. I made a list, called Jayco, sent them the list and also called Humphrey RV in Montrose Colorado where I live and sent them a copy of the list, can't wait to see how this all turns out. I also had two water leaks which really got my wife's attention, all they were we're was loose fittings. Another thing is the cornices in the back by the couch. I pulled the shade down and the whole thing came off the wall. Check yours out. They are not put on very sturdy. I'm beginning to believe that Jayco's quality control is very poor. One last note, our floor has developed 3 bubbles, can't wait to see what they do about that. Bill
bill737cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:14 AM   #10

All the big kitchen slides are to heavy for the schwintec system. Told that at factory service center and now they are all using slimrack system. All u can do is make sure they stay timed, keep seals, rollers and slide track system lubed and clean. Oh ya and pray to the schwintec gods everytime u operate the big slide
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJT View Post
Hello everyone, this is my first post. Unfortunately not a happy one. First let me say my wife and I completely love our unit. We are Canadian and our first trip was the last two weeks to Charleston and the Emerald Isle in N. Carolina. The unit was exceptional but for one BIG problem. The kitchen slide would go out slowly but coming in it was horrible, timing out numerous times and taking as long as 15 minutes to get closed.It has been in twice for this problem with no positive results. This time we notices significant wear on the top door side gear track. The slide does not seal tightly. Two screw heads on the top metal flashing strip sealing the slide roof material snapped and the flashing was bent, and worst of all, we found moisture on the floor of the slide inside the cupboard beside the fireplace. It looks like it could be too tight and jamming on one side or the other. We were told by a Jayco service manager that the problem was likely a weight problem and the slide was too heavy for a Schwintek system. Seems like a lame excuse to me. But we put only light items in the slide. Any suggestions would be very helpful before we take it in again. Thanks.
I have the 2019 28.5 RSTS it's been to the dealer 4 times for repairs. Now my kitchen slide is stuck. The wait for a service appointment is minimum one month. The service techs at my storage facility looked at it and said the side, walls and floor are all moving. They wouldn't even try to fix it. They recommend sending it back to Jayco. I've reported issues with this slide twice before. The dealer always says, no problem found.

What was the outcome of your problem?
Trecon11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:07 PM   #12

Not a happy camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trecon11 View Post
I have the 2019 28.5 RSTS it's been to the dealer 4 times for repairs. Now my kitchen slide is stuck. The wait for a service appointment is minimum one month. The service techs at my storage facility looked at it and said the side, walls and floor are all moving. They wouldn't even try to fix it. They recommend sending it back to Jayco. I've reported issues with this slide twice before. The dealer always says, no problem found.

What was the outcome of your problem?
The slide is too heavy for the system which moves it. The walls were not properly mounted to the floor. the service center (All Valley RV in Acton) was awesome. they worked with Jayco and replaced the 1/8" x 6" drywall type screws with 6" lag bolts. That fixed the problem but the slide still struggles in and out. NOW we discovered that the passenger side panel above the king pin has shifted upward. there is noticeable evidence of movement and the caulking has broken along the trim bead. Photos are attached.
Attached Thumbnails
20190812_181811.jpg   20190812_181831.jpg   20190812_181824.jpg   20190812_181803.jpg  
Trecon11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:00 PM   #13

Slimrack is the rack used in Schwintec Slides
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote