Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-15-2022, 07:42 PM   #1
DRE

2018 327CKTS front cap

Here we go again. During initial inspection noticed some scratches on front cap. No problem, took it back and dealer buffed out. Did crappy job so had them do it again. 1 1/2 years later cap was fading real bad. Tried to tell Jayco this was a known issue and was circulating through chat rooms. Asked to have cap replaced. Jayco said no and paid to have it painted. Few months later the cap was spidering real bad. Camping World refused to paint it again. I contacted local body shop and they said they have seen this. They could paint it but it would only last a year or so. Defective fiberglass. I asked Jayco to replace cap and again was refused. Jayco then paid to have it sanded down and primed and painted again. This time I had a very reputable big rig body shop paint it. Looked awesome for the first year. They also said no guarantee cracks won't come back. Washing the rig today and all the spidering cracks are back in the same spots. Of course now I am out if warranty. Just left a message with Jayco support. We'll see what they do. I am demanding a new front cap. These were known to be defective from 2017 to early 2019. They are on other manufacturers rigs too. Any one else with these year rigs having issue? I am preparing for a class action lawsuit, trying to get a feel for how many others are effected. Ok that was long winded. I'm done.
DRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 11:03 PM   #2

2018 327CKTS front cap

2017 291rsts. I used a uv protectant a few times a year to see if I could prevent the fading, I kept it from failing just long enough to be out of warranty. I should have just let it go and fail quickly and have it repaired, but seems I would have had more issues later anyway. I do only have one small area of spider web type cracks.

I now sprayed with a product called SC1. Totally hides the fading. It’s now about 60 days and still holding up.
Old 10-16-2022, 06:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRE View Post
Here we go again. During initial inspection noticed some scratches on front cap. No problem, took it back and dealer buffed out. Did crappy job so had them do it again. 1 1/2 years later cap was fading real bad. Tried to tell Jayco this was a known issue and was circulating through chat rooms. Asked to have cap replaced. Jayco said no and paid to have it painted. Few months later the cap was spidering real bad. Camping World refused to paint it again. I contacted local body shop and they said they have seen this. They could paint it but it would only last a year or so. Defective fiberglass. I asked Jayco to replace cap and again was refused. Jayco then paid to have it sanded down and primed and painted again. This time I had a very reputable big rig body shop paint it. Looked awesome for the first year. They also said no guarantee cracks won't come back. Washing the rig today and all the spidering cracks are back in the same spots. Of course now I am out if warranty. Just left a message with Jayco support. We'll see what they do. I am demanding a new front cap. These were known to be defective from 2017 to early 2019. They are on other manufacturers rigs too. Any one else with these year rigs having issue? I am preparing for a class action lawsuit, trying to get a feel for how many others are effected. Ok that was long winded. I'm done.
Don't feel like the lone ranger, see attached pictures of our '21 Pinnacle. My buddy with a similar unit and built within a month of each other have the same issue. I found it and sent him pictures. You need a ladder to see it, but his were in the same spot. His is already fixed by Lazy Days in Tampa where he bought it. He was told you need a good fiberglass person to work on it. Ours is going in at the end of this month to our dealer for warranty work after a year of owning it.
Attached Thumbnails
20211104_122605[1].jpg   20211105_152052[1].jpg   20211105_152154[1].jpg  
Old 10-17-2022, 05:50 PM   #4
DRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
Don't feel like the lone ranger, see attached pictures of our '21 Pinnacle. My buddy with a similar unit and built within a month of each other have the same issue. I found it and sent him pictures. You need a ladder to see it, but his were in the same spot. His is already fixed by Lazy Days in Tampa where he bought it. He was told you need a good fiberglass person to work on it. Ours is going in at the end of this month to our dealer for warranty work after a year of owning it.
Wow. Even worse than mine. Jayco responded today and said I was SOL. I am going to round up all the different manufactures and attempt a class action suit against the manufacturer of the caps and all the vendors that I stall them on their rigs. Stay tuned!
DRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 11:35 AM   #5

I have a 2017 EAGLE HT 27.5 RLTS, and yes have a fading issue AND my unit stays out of the sun under an RV carport - I thought my paint would look good for YEARS. I wash it every time I go out and wax it 2x per year. It is very frustrating!

about this SC1 - can you tell me more about it? I saw it on amazon... Interested if it hides the flaws of the fading/clear coat issues.
Old 10-20-2022, 07:39 PM   #6

Just getting ready for another trip and cleaned the bugs of the cap from the last trip.
With the SC1, most of the bugs just rinsed right off. Still can’t notice any of the fading, I’m very happy.
It is considered a coating, not like paint, just very slick. Designed so that mud rinses off of off-road vehicles.

Since I can just rinse the bugs off, I haven’t used any soap so I’m sure if it washes off much. I think I’m getting close to 4 months now. It will be interesting to see how it holds up over the winter.
Old 10-21-2022, 06:03 AM   #7

Awesome! thanks for the info on SC1