Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-27-2019, 01:03 PM   #1

2018 377 - kitchen slide motor issues

When going in or out the motors will pulse on for about 3 sec and then stop. You have to go back for a bit and then back out... Then repeat until the slide it all the way out or back in.
Then I had it so that 1 side would only go out and then other side would only go in and I got the slide so jack in the hole I thought I was going to have to call a mobile service truck!
I unplugged 1 side and reset the controller and was able to get the slide back in and then plugged the motors back in and it came back in the rest of the way.

Now just back to pulsing in and out but both sides are currently working.

I called the service shop that last worked on the rig and they were 100% unhelpful... so I'm hoping that someone here can help me.

Let me know if you need more information.. and TIA!
James Speer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:53 PM   #2

I am having a similar issue on the kitchen slide on my North Point 377 RLBH. The slide would move a few inches when I would push the button but I got it to extend and then forgot about it til I had to move. Now the left side (nearest to the rear of the camper) moves but the right side (the heavy part because that’s where the refrigerator is) does not move at all. I don’t know if there’s something jammed in the track of the slide or if he motor isn’t operating or what else it could be. How do I find out? Is there a manual over ride? How do I access the motor and the slide? This model has an enclosed under belly so I cannot see any of the equipment. Any advice? I will continue to search this forum. Thank you.
car*man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by car*man View Post
I am having a similar issue on the kitchen slide on my North Point 377 RLBH. The slide would move a few inches when I would push the button but I got it to extend and then forgot about it til I had to move. Now the left side (nearest to the rear of the camper) moves but the right side (the heavy part because that’s where the refrigerator is) does not move at all. I don’t know if there’s something jammed in the track of the slide or if he motor isn’t operating or what else it could be. How do I find out? Is there a manual over ride? How do I access the motor and the slide? This model has an enclosed under belly so I cannot see any of the equipment. Any advice? I will continue to search this forum. Thank you.
This sounds like the same issue.
I'm having it again right now trying to setup and only 1 side goes out. I'm going to have a mobile tech come out tomorrow.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:51 AM   #4

Of all of the problems that we, as collective 377 owners, are seeing with the kitchen slide, how many of these are in units with residential fridges vs units with propane / electric fridges. I’ve been led to believe that the residential fridges are far heavier, and that the slide may be underbuilt for the added weight.

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:30 AM   #5

If your kitchen slide is like mine it’s using the slim rack system. According to Lippert that system is rated for 1500 pounds. My guess is that a refrigerator and pantry full of food and the weight of the slide probably comes very close to the limit. I’m wondering when mine is going to crap out. If they use the same 300:1 motors as the schwintec slide, I’m wondering if I could order higher torque motors (500:1) when needed.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:44 AM   #6

Mine has the residential refrigerator. And it was LOADED for the Labor Day weekend with beer, pop, water, several meats to smoke, and beer. So it was heavy but I don’t feel that had anything to do with it. The slide did not seem like it was straining. It just didn’t move at all. Feels more like a connection to me. Like the motor is not engaging at all instead of worn and weighted. And the slide is sitting level. Nothing seems bent. I think I’ll buy some slide supports after this just to be safe. Any suggestions of what to buy would be appreciated. I’ll do an electrical test on the slide control and slide motor to see if I’m losing power somewhere and I’ll post what I find.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWedell View Post
If your kitchen slide is like mine it’s using the slim rack system. According to Lippert that system is rated for 1500 pounds. My guess is that a refrigerator and pantry full of food and the weight of the slide probably comes very close to the limit. I’m wondering when mine is going to crap out. If they use the same 300:1 motors as the schwintec slide, I’m wondering if I could order higher torque motors (500:1) when needed.
John, I would bet that the slide without anything in the pantry or fridge is every bit of 1500 pounds. There's a lot of heavy wood alone. The fridge ways 600 pounds. The microwave, stove and oven have to be at least 100 pounds. TV & fireplace another 75 pounds. I contacted Jayco on several occasions and asked them what the as-built wait of my kitchen slide was and they flat out refuse to answer me.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:45 AM   #8

Like car*man, my slide motors move the slide easily when it runs. But it will cycle the motor for 2 seconds and then stop. It's not like its camping out, but like it's losing a connection. You have to bump it back on either the rocker switch or the app to go another 2 sec.
Today I have 1 motor that wants to go out and the other doesn't do anything. I hear a click at the controller but no action. BUT - then when you try to back it up, the motor that was working stops and the other reverses. This can really get you in a bad spot fast.

I've tried the resyncing process but nothing has worked. I was looking to see if anyone else had seen this before and how it was resolved. OR if anyone has and ideas of what to do.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:23 PM   #9

Update to slide problem with Pics

From car*man

I found the control unit for the slide. There’s a flashing fault code. 4 red flashes. Then 1 green.

There are 2 large, mysterious black wires that were fastened to the ceiling of the basement. (I say these wires are mysterious because I followed them to see where they go and the ends of them are taped up. However, they have a sticker on them that says, “To Breaker Panel.” So...weird to me but maybe they have a purpose?? We bought the 377 pre-owned so maybe the previous owner did something with these. Don’t know! Pics below (if I can load them). Anyway, these large wires were fastened to the ceiling and laid right over the control module for the slide. The module looks to me like it should have 4 wires entering it in one of those electrical clip thigy’s. But there are only 2 wires entering it. However, I can’t find the missing red and gray wires that I feel should be there. Pics below if I can get them to load.
All of that to ask these ??’s...

What does 4 red and 1 green flash from the control box mean?

Should there be 4 wires going into the connector I’m pointing at in the picture?

And, as a bonus, does anyone know what the mysterious, non-connected wires are??
Attached Thumbnails
509C6489-6FCA-41A0-BC0E-3B4D7C7FAB0D.jpg   71961FB4-7AAA-4607-A8D4-5E3AACA61A1A.jpg   CE7151CA-92B6-4699-8F9F-7B5E5EC8826C.jpg  
Old 09-03-2019, 05:22 PM   #10

Quote:
From car*man

I found the control unit for the slide. There’s a flashing fault code. 4 red flashes. Then 1 green.

There are 2 large, mysterious black wires that were fastened to the ceiling of the basement. (I say these wires are mysterious because I followed them to see where they go and the ends of them are taped up. However, they have a sticker on them that says, “To Breaker Panel.” a

The large black wires are most likely the shore power line and line to the breaker box. They are tied together instead of going through an automatic transfer switch which is normally there is it came with a generator prep setup.

2012 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie DRW - High Output 6.7L Cummins, Max Tow, FireStone Airbags, 60 Gallon Titan XXL fuel tank, Fully Deleted
2017 Jayco North Point 377rlbh with Kaut NV 2.0 bike rack
jasonmiddlebrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Speer View Post
Like car*man, my slide motors move the slide easily when it runs. But it will cycle the motor for 2 seconds and then stop. It's not like its camping out, but like it's losing a connection. You have to bump it back on either the rocker switch or the app to go another 2 sec.

Today I have 1 motor that wants to go out and the other doesn't do anything. I hear a click at the controller but no action. BUT - then when you try to back it up, the motor that was working stops and the other reverses. This can really get you in a bad spot fast.

I've tried the resyncing process but nothing has worked. I was looking to see if anyone else had seen this before and how it was resolved. OR if anyone has and ideas of what to do.

So I had something similar happen. One motor acted like it wanted to move but would stop. Like it was binding up. The slide was open so I took the outside trim off to get to the motor. The motor was stuck in there good but I finally got it out to relieve the pressure. Put it back in and all has been good sense. It has been about a year now.

My theory is that I had auto-leveled during the stay while my slides were out. I know many people do that but I am just wondering if that caused the slide to bind up the lease little bit.

2012 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie DRW - High Output 6.7L Cummins, Max Tow, FireStone Airbags, 60 Gallon Titan XXL fuel tank, Fully Deleted
2017 Jayco North Point 377rlbh with Kaut NV 2.0 bike rack
jasonmiddlebrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:52 PM   #12

Quote:
From car*man

There are 2 large, mysterious black wires that were fastened to the ceiling of the basement. (I say these wires are mysterious because I followed them to see where they go and the ends of them are taped up. However, they have a sticker on them that says, “To Breaker Panel.” So...weird to me but maybe they have a purpose?? We bought the 377 pre-owned so maybe the previous owner did something with these. Don’t know! Pics below (if I can load them). Anyway, these large wires were fastened to the ceiling and laid right over the control module for the slide. The module looks to me like it should have 4 wires entering it in one of those electrical clip thigy’s. But there are only 2 wires entering it. However, I can’t find the missing red and gray wires that I feel should be there. Pics below if I can get them to load.
All of that to ask these ??’s...

What does 4 red and 1 green flash from the control box mean?

Should there be 4 wires going into the connector I’m pointing at in the picture?

And, as a bonus, does anyone know what the mysterious, non-connected wires are??
The codes are in your picture you posted, right beside your finger. Lol
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:06 AM   #13

Guys, thank you both for the info. Helps to know what those black wires are. I can’t see up close so couldn’t tell what the writing said but, as per Klassic’s advice, I was able to zoom in on the pic and see the fault flashing indicates Motor 1. I don’t know what that means. Does it indicate a motor is bad? Could it be a connection? What’s my next step? Should I find the motor and see if I can turn it manually? Any guidance would be helpful. (Also, anyone know if that electrical connector (pictured along with my finger!) is supposed to have 4 wires or the existing 2? Thanks again, all.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Guys, thank you both for the info. Helps to know what those black wires are. I can’t see up close so couldn’t tell what the writing said but, as per Klassic’s advice, I was able to zoom in on the pic and see the fault flashing indicates Motor 1. I don’t know what that means. Does it indicate a motor is bad? Could it be a connection? What’s my next step? Should I find the motor and see if I can turn it manually? Any guidance would be helpful. (Also, anyone know if that electrical connector (pictured along with my finger!) is supposed to have 4 wires or the existing 2? Thanks again, all.
My controller has only the two wires like yours. The other two are cut at the plug like yours. I had a RV tech tell me why but damn if I can remember!
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 09-04-2019, 07:36 AM   #15

Two kind of stupid questions on this potentially. One, is that controller for just one slide? I don’t have access to my trailer right now but can’t recall if I saw two of those boxes or just one. Second, to get to the plug on motors themselves can one just pop out the seals and then put them back in place once done. Or is there more to that?
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
Two kind of stupid questions on this potentially. One, is that controller for just one slide? I don’t have access to my trailer right now but can’t recall if I saw two of those boxes or just one. Second, to get to the plug on motors themselves can one just pop out the seals and then put them back in place once done. Or is there more to that?
The controller in question is just for the kitchen slide. The bedroom slide has it's own and different controller. You can get to the plugs from the inside. Just follow the wires.
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 09-04-2019, 08:32 AM   #17

Three things to try
Swap the motor plugs on the controller and see if the fault changes.
I don’t know which is motor 1, but pull the connector on top of the motor and check that none of the pins are bent and the connection is good. (Very common)
Follow the wire down from the motor and make sure it isn’t broken.

Swap your controller for the bedroom controller.

I’ve had a bad wire...a bad connection and a bad controller. All fixed under warranty, all separate times.
And I’ve had the whole Schwintek replaced once under warranty..
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 05:14 PM   #18

I too wonder about the weights of the appliances in the kitchen slide. I found a similar 21 cu. ft. counter depth Whirlpool fridge on the Home Depot site and the weight is listed at 242 lbs.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:09 PM   #19

Just a quick note to get back with all who have replied...I’m out of town for a couple of days and will try these solutions and respond with my progress. Thank You.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:12 PM   #20

You all are dealing with Schwintek 300:1 slide issues....Jayco seems to always unengineer the slide systems. Note everyone has residential fridges, kitchen slides. Our Sesimic has been a nightmare of issues. 16 feet slide with residential fridge....yea it has failed 3 times (rebuilt). Even the 500:1 High Torque replacement that Jayco paid for failed...last rebuild was this Spring cost $4000 and extended warranty paid $1800.00...won’t buy another Jayco or Schwintek system.
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...albums843.html Check this out.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-34672-3.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote