Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2018, 09:06 PM   #1

2018 377LRBH towing help

Good evening all!

We are close to picking up our new unit on Saturday and ran across several posts regarding the rear jacks on the trailer being too low to the ground and catching on things. I asked my sales rep and he said not to worry and that the trailer should be fine.

Our TV is a 2016 Ram 3500 MegaCab SRW with a front 2.5” level kit, 2” rear block and 37” tires. Looks like I am 3.5-4” taller in the rear than a stock truck. We are getting the 18k pullrite auto slider on the dodge oem pullrite bracket for the factory 5th wheel bed prep.

I’m kinda freaking out that we will be too high to tow level and we will damage the rear jacks on our terrible Michigan roads.

2018 Jayco North Point 377RLBH
Cruze108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:42 AM   #2

I have a stock 2012 RAM 3500 and I would scrap the rear jacks through the dirt pulling into my driveway because I go uphill a bit when I turn into the driveway. When I was at the dealer getting a few warranty items done they raised all my jack up as far as they could go which was one or two notches. Solved my problem of dragging the rear jacks through the dirt pulling into my driveway. You could also see about lowing the leaf springs on the trailer a notch. At lease that is an option for me if I ever need to. My leaf springs are currently in the top hole but I am level so I have not needed to do that.

The only side effect of raising the jacks is the need for blocks under the jacks when autoleveling. But I think it is best to always use blocks anyway to prevent out of stroke errors.

2012 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie DRW - High Output 6.7L Cummins, Max Tow, FireStone Airbags, 60 Gallon Titan XXL fuel tank, Fully Deleted
2017 Jayco North Point 377rlbh with Kaut NV 2.0 bike rack
jasonmiddlebrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:32 AM   #3

Thank you!

Im going to call the dealership and ask them to raise the jacks and lower the springs. If that is happening to you on your stock 3500, it will need to be done on my truck.

How much does your truck squat from the pin weight?

Old 05-09-2018, 08:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruze108 View Post
Thank you!

How much does your truck squat from the pin weight?
I had very little squat at first. Maybe a couple inches. I did put airbags on (firestone 2299) and Bilstein shocks all the way around to help that along with the ride. I ride around town with 5psi in them and 50psi when I have the trailer hooked up.

... so maybe I am not 100% stock

2012 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie DRW - High Output 6.7L Cummins, Max Tow, FireStone Airbags, 60 Gallon Titan XXL fuel tank, Fully Deleted
Old 05-09-2018, 08:57 AM   #5

Nice! I have extended Fox 2.0's at the 4 corners and I put in the Airlift Ultimate 5000 bags to help. I just spoke with General RV and they are checking with the shop manager to see what they can do. I think if they raise the rear jacks (I will use blocks to avoid over stroke) and switch to the 2nd hole on the left springs we should be fine. I will need to replace my 37's in a few months so Im going to reduce to 35's to help. We have a trip to northern MI planned for Memorial day and do not want any issues with towing.

Do you notice any chucking with the Moryde pin box?

Old 05-09-2018, 09:19 AM   #6

Quote:

Do you notice any chucking with the Moryde pin box?
Remember there is also adjustment in the pin box and hitch that can be played with also. My dealer did all that for me and had it level when I drove off the lot. When you change truck tires down the road I am not sure if something will need to be adjusted or not with the pin box / hitch. Can't go wrong with adjusting the jacks and leaf springs in my book.

I have a Curt Q20 hitch and the Moryde pin box. I don't experience hardly any chucking while driving down the road. If it is a really bad road I might feel/hear it every so often. Really the only chucking I experience is if I stop pretty hard, take off fast, or while I drive though the horse pasture when leaving my house (don't ask.... that is the easiest gate and drive to fit though...).

Old 05-09-2018, 09:37 AM   #7

I have a 2017 351RSQS Northpoint and I tow it with a 2016 3500HD Dually. My truck is also high in the back and I'm probably towing nose high by a few inches. I also have Snap Pads on the bottom of my jacks so I'm losing another 1" and I have no problems going up and down my driveway and even over a curb once. Of course I don't go in soft places. I also live in Michigan and deal with the lovely roads. I have a Qurt 20K Hitch. My point is, don't do anything until you hook it up to your truck and adjust accordingly.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:01 AM   #8

Thank you Donna, we have snap pads waiting to install too. Im working with the dealer to see what is needed. Since my truck sits so tall I know some adjustments will be needed.

Does anyone know if switching the left spring holes is something that can be done while we are there or is it a huge process?

We plan on being at the dealership when they open and need to be done by 4 pm for a wedding (this might be my excuse not to go )

Just hoping for a smooth processes

Old 05-09-2018, 03:42 PM   #9

New rig and current TV
Attached Thumbnails
8BFEEA78-B0DB-46DF-83E6-43DC173D48AA.jpg   E70FA56F-B2B8-41DF-8045-F836654B747C.jpg  
Old 05-09-2018, 03:48 PM   #10

Nice!

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:31 PM   #11

With that high of a truck, you may want to check the height of your trailer when hitched, you could be over the 13'6" legal limit. The 377 is listed as being 13'3" tall, if you are 4"-5" higher than standard you could have an issue.
oh355mbqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:17 PM   #12

Nice looking rig. I agree with others that the dealer can make adjustments as needed when you are finally hooked up to make you level. Be careful about getting too tall as 13’ 6” is supposed to be max.
We tow our 377 with a GMC 3500HD that is kind of tall. There were no adjustments needed for us to be level and have over 7 inches between the bed and underside of camper
Good luck and post pics of the completed hooked up rig
Marc
Meadowlark paint
Iraq 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:52 PM   #13

Just stopped by the dealership and did a trial run with out the hitch in the bed. We are super high! This is assuming no weight in the bed. They measured up 21” to account for the pullrite and picture frame adapter for the ram factory puck system. The Pullrite doesn’t have any hitch head adjustment and the moryde pin box is already adjusted as high as it will go. So no adjustment there.

The rear jacks are already in their highest setting and to our surprise there aren’t any adjustment holes for the left springs (no bottom hole) they must have changed something for the 2018’s.

Being a single rear wheel how much will the truck squat with 3,000 lbs? The dealer said to maybe look into a different hitch as an option, maybe the Anderson Ultimate Hitch.

We are going Saturday morning to have them install the hitch and hook the trailer up to see where everything sits.

Any advice is welcomed as to ideas on what to do. I told them unless we are at or lower than the 13’6” we are not leaving with the unit.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:59 PM   #14
Site Team

Once you sign papers and leave, you will no longer be a prospective customer that the sales force are eager to please.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:07 PM   #15

We signed the bank papers already but still have to deliver our current travel trailer and a large check.

I’m not handing anything over until we are good to roll down the road.

Anyone know if we can use the Anderson’s ultimate hitch instead of the pullrite auto slider? There is height adjustment with that model
Old 05-10-2018, 10:10 PM   #16

Quote:
We signed the bank papers already but still have to deliver our current travel trailer and a large check.

I’m not handing anything over until we are good to roll down the road.

Anyone know if we can use the Anderson’s ultimate hitch instead of the pullrite auto slider? There is height adjustment with that model
If you are not familiar with the Andersen Ultimate, the pivot ball will be a few inches behind where the gooseneck ball goes in the bed. Probably no where near enough for the short bed of a megacab to be able to turn anywhere close to 90 degrees.

The Andersen has three height settings. I believe they are in 1 inch increments. You will probably run out of clearance between bedrails and 5th wheel before you get it looking how you like.

Your truck looks awesome. Unfortunately just about everything you did to make it look that way ruins or severely limits how it can handle a large 5th wheel.
vegasguy is offline   Reply With Quote