Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2019, 04:45 AM   #1
eow

2018 Eagle HT 265 BHS Shakedown

Overall, our first use of the 265 BHS went well. A few issues showed up, some of which were/are easy fixes and one that I need the forum's input on.

The easy ones:
* broken black tank handle rod when I tried bending it to clear the bottom of the skirt: shortened and fixed
* slow leak at connection to bathroom vanity facet: tightened and OK now
* creaking noise when stepping on middle step to bedroom: resolved by removing two screws that were not doing anything functional
* staple heads protruding at carpet edge and piercing foot when stepped on: took care of by hammering them down flush

The one I need help with:
* when hooked to tow vehicle, on the driver's side at the transition from the full box to the overhang, the lower horizontal corner trim shifts down and is no longer effective as a seal. Seems like it is not flexing with the frame and needs to be secured more effectively. The passenger side is OK (for now).
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
eow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:06 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eow View Post
Overall, our first use of the 265 BHS went well.

* when hooked to tow vehicle, on the driver's side at the transition from the full box to the overhang, the lower horizontal corner trim shifts down and is no longer effective as a seal. Seems like it is not flexing with the frame and needs to be secured more effectively. The passenger side is OK (for now).
My 29.5BHOK is at the dealership right now with the EXACT SAME PROBLEM. You can actually see the cut they made for the outside wall around the bend for the fifth wheel neck under the slide out on the driver's side. Not sure what the answer is yet. When you put the landing gear down and take the pressure off the hitch, it subsides most, but not all the way. Will post what the outcome is when I hear back.
Wacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:24 AM   #3
eow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacki View Post
My 29.5BHOK is at the dealership right now with the EXACT SAME PROBLEM. You can actually see the cut they made for the outside wall around the bend for the fifth wheel neck under the slide out on the driver's side. Not sure what the answer is yet. When you put the landing gear down and take the pressure off the hitch, it subsides most, but not all the way. Will post what the outcome is when I hear back.
Sounds like the same issue and symptoms. I would appreciate hearing the outcome and fix.
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 07-15-2019, 06:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Overall, our first use of the 265 BHS went well. A few issues showed up, some of which were/are easy fixes and one that I need the forum's input on.

The easy ones:

* broken black tank handle rod when I tried bending it to clear the bottom of the skirt: shortened and fixed

* slow leak at connection to bathroom vanity facet: tightened and OK now

* creaking noise when stepping on middle step to bedroom: resolved by removing two screws that were not doing anything functional

* staple heads protruding at carpet edge and piercing foot when stepped on: took care of by hammering them down flush

That’s not a bad shakedown. I had the 25.5BHS, and my steps were silent for the first few outings. Made some noise after the first year, but never increased. I never looked into it though. Wasn’t a worry point. Also had the trim do weird stuff between the main box and overhang. For me it was the horizontal piece that runs the width of the overhang, and the horizontal ones that run run along the overhang and curved down the front of the box. They’d pop out where the bend was. Mostly in cold weather. I could just pop them back into the channel. I think they were too short.

Enjoy the trailer. We really liked ours. Fifth wheel advantages without being too big.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:30 AM   #5
eow

I found this previous post of the issue. https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post773902

Hopefully those that have successfully implemented a repair will provide details on how they resolved the issue.
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 07-16-2019, 06:41 PM   #6
eow

Today I replaced the lower trim fasteners with longer screws to penetrate the metal in the wall as others had suggested.

Hopefully the issue is now resolved.
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 07-18-2019, 06:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Today I replaced the lower trim fasteners with longer screws to penetrate the metal in the wall as others had suggested.

Hopefully the issue is now resolved.
Just received my camper back today, and your fix is what they did. They said most all of the factory screws broke. They drilled and screwed bigger and longer screws through the aluminium deck plate.
Wacki is offline   Reply With Quote