Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-12-2017, 11:04 AM   #1

2018 Eagle HT bedroom AC model?

Can someone tell me what air conditioner the factory installs in the bedroom of a 2018 Jayco Eagle HT fifth wheel? We purchased ours with wiring installed for the 2nd AC but didn't order the AC unit because we thought we wouldn't need it. That was a mistake because my wife really hates heat and humidity.

The living area AC is a ducted Coleman 15K Mach 15. The Jayco literature says the 2nd AC in the bedroom is also a ducted 15K unit but doesn't specify the model. When I asked the dealer they told me they would use a low profile unit to minimize the height. That makes some sense but only if the height of the Mach 15 unit would be a problem. I called Jayco only to be told to "ask the dealer."

I am hoping someone reading this has a 2018 Eagle HT with the front AC and could check the make and model for me.

Thanks in advance!
DNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:16 PM   #2

Kind of curious myself. I ordered with the 2nd AC but won't get it until April 2018. Was cheaper to get it that way instead of adding it later.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:10 PM   #3

Ours are both the same model.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 04:24 AM   #4

Yep, they use the same units for main and bedroom. To keep your height down, you can install a Mach low profile unit.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:32 AM   #5

Thanks much. I think I will order the same model.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:28 AM   #6

I have an email out to my dealer right now on this same question. Any idea how the wiring for the thermostat is handled? Is it controlled off the main thermostat, or do we need to order a shroud with the knobs on the ceiling?
Old 09-14-2017, 08:09 AM   #7

The thermostat wiring is in the wall. You will need a ducted ceiling assembly as the bedroom is ducted and shares ducting with the main unit.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Old 09-14-2017, 08:16 AM   #8

Ok, so dedicated separate thermostat mounts on the wall at the foot of the bed? Any thoughts on the best way to locate the wiring before drilling into wall? There wasn't a sticker like the TVs get for location.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:58 AM   #9

5th wheel AC covers

The covers for the mac 15k height is 13.8 inches, the low pro file is 8 inches high
frenchfrydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:07 AM   #10

When these units say they are "prewired" for the second AC, I don't know if that means they are only pre wired for power, or if the wiring for a second thermostat is actually run already within the wall as well. Maybe someone else can pipe in about that part?

I found a listing for a 2018 HT 5th wheel that has the 2nd AC installed from the factory and one of the pictures show the 2nd thermostat mounted directly above the light switch in the bedroom. That is the exact location the thermostat for our 2nd AC in our 2017 Eagle TT is, so I assume that might be a normal/common location for the 2nd thermostat?

Not sure if it would help, but I would pull the shroud for the bedroom ceiling vent and locate any wiring that is already there. If you locate what appears to be thermostat wiring running in the direction of the light switch, then maybe pull the light switch to see if you can find the other ends in that area? I know that hole isn't very big and might not help, but it's worth a try?

https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Mil...STS-5000053135
Old 09-14-2017, 09:25 AM   #11

I have pulled the inside plastic trim and there is 110V wiring as well as thermostat wiring. I was somewhat shocked, but not really considering how poor some construction is, that the 'hole' for the wiring was made with a hammer! Not a drill or hole saw but I'm not kidding it was smashed through the light panel with a hammer. Geeeeezzzzzzzzzz...

One thing I noticed with both Coleman models installation manual is that the AC should be mounted level with some tolerance for the front nose to be high. It shows building a tapered wood frame if the nose will be low as it would be just being bolted to the tapering roof line of the HT. I find it pretty hard to believe the factory does that though. I bet if they do anything they squish the foam seal a little more in the back. Anyone know?

Dwayne...probably a little AR at this stage.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erren View Post
Ok, so dedicated separate thermostat mounts on the wall at the foot of the bed? Any thoughts on the best way to locate the wiring before drilling into wall? There wasn't a sticker like the TVs get for location.
Yes the wiring is there. Email Jayco with your vin asking how to locate it. My guess it would be near the bedroom light switch.

Earl