Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2021, 06:59 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Sharon View Post
Looks like you have it then. \o/

Once I get my new 5th wheel, I plan to get everything loaded up and stop by one of the CAT scales to weigh it (https://catscale.com/cat-scale-locator/). I suspect, like many people, I'll need to periodically confirm the numbers remain good.
Yup thanks...hope the wife will be happy with the 284bhok. It’s a little too close for my comfort level. That max pin weight means the 29.5 can only weigh (assuming 20%) about 10,300lb which would allow for about 700lb of “stuff” inside based on the dry weigh of the one at the closest dealer (9588lb). Not sure about towing at max payload or if this is realistic for us. Too bad they wouldn’t let me hitch up and weigh it before I buy!
RIEGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:33 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIEGuy View Post
[...] doing the same comparison 29.5bhds bs 284bhok [...] I’m worried about payload.

My truck:
2021 F-250 Tremor
6.7L diesel
10 speed trans
3.55 rear axle
Payload 2755 [...]
I think this is a great question, but I'd always recommend starting your own idividual thread with your specific situation, rather than hijacking someone else's thread that used to be about them and their specific situation.

Conceptually, you're thinking about everything the right way and you included the payload up front, which only happens in about 0.27% of the "how much can I tow" type questions. So, kudos!

I'd expect the 284BHOK to weigh pretty close to its 10,000 lb GVWR and drop 13% onto the hitch. So, figure 1,300 lbs on the conventional tow hitch.

I'd expect the 29.5 5er to weigh about 10,900 lbs and drop at least 21% onto the pin (the dry weights are 19.4% and added weight tends to be front-loaded, so I assume >19.4% on the pin). So, figure about 2,300 lbs on the pin from that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIEGuy View Post
For “us” inside the truck I estimated 700lb (us kids and dogs =450lb + 150lb hitch + 100lb misc. and tools). That left me with 2055lb for pin weight. Thanks again
That's the correct approach, but it's a bit light for 2 adults, 2 kids, and 2 dogs, unless you're small people -- which is fair. Usually, I will budget for fully clothed, booted, not-modest-nude-doctor-office weights on the low side at: 180 (dad) + 120 (mom) + 75 kid + 75 kid + 50 lb dog + 50 lb dog. So, about 550 on the low end. But, you could both be 100 lb marathon runners and your kids are 3 year old, 30 lbs toddlers, and your two dogs are 4 lb chihuahuas. Who knows.

100 lbs for misc on a family of 4 is also kind of light. Tools, bags, gear, food, drink, wood, bikes, aftermarket items (running boards, bed toppers, Line-X, bigger tires/wheels), and other stuff adds up incredibly fast. Family of 4 with dogs will usually be in the 700 - 1000 lb range after adding gear, which is higher than your 550 lb estimate.

But, I'll keep your weights.

284BHOK: 1300 + 50 WDH + 450 + 100 = 1,900 lbs. Well within your payload limits. Even if we bumped up any of those other weights or was more tongue heavy with the trailer, you're fine. This is a great match and you'll always be in the clear. As the kids grow, add a 5th kid as a friend, toss more wood in the bed, etc. These are all worry-free additions because of how much buffer your TV has. It's fun to live in that world, at least I liked that.

29.5BHDS: 2300 + 150 hitch (you can get lighter weight ones, though) + 450 + 100 = 3,000 lbs. Now, you're well over your payload limits. Now, you'd have to enter that world of "GVWR doesn't matter, only GAWR matters; the truck is fine; the GVWR is a marketing tool; a 3/4 ton is the same as a 1 ton; etc." arguments. I'm not necessarily saying those are wrong, you'd just have to adopt one or more of them, as the numbers won't otherwise lie: you'd be well over your GVWR.

Oh, and it's borderline criminal that anyone would call this a "half ton towable 5th wheel" the way that Jayco does. If I am stupid enough to believe the fictional dry weights, the listed pin is 1,820. If I got a super-light hitch at 50 lbs and got a small 130 lb driver to tow it, I'm at 2,000 lbs without any passengers, gear, dishes, linens, bedding, leveling gear, or literally any options on the trailer. You'd have to have a unicorn F-150 HDPP just to tow this thing bone dry. Stupid.

I think you already did all of this math, though. I was really impressed by how clearly and rationally you thought through this. If you do end up with the 284BHOK, please let us know how it goes. It's my dream trailer that, for now, remains in my dreams.
Fomer RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:50 AM   #43

Sorry for hijacking and yes we are small people LOL (ex tennis player and gymnast wife) with young kids and 2 corgis. The truck is bone stock as delivered, but I agree with your assessment. I’m not new to towing, but I don’t like white knuckling and living on the edge. Thanks all!
RIEGuy is offline   Reply With Quote