Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-09-2021, 10:43 PM   #1

2018 GMC 2500HD - Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 bhds

Hey folks,

New member but I’ve been lurking a little while. Wife and I are considering purchasing a Jayco 5th wheel or travel trailer. We currently have one but looking to upgrade. We have 3 kids ages 8, 6, and 3 plus a black lab. We are looking at bunkhouses and we have really landed on the Eagle HT line. These are quite a bit more money than what we paid for the 2018 Shadowcruiser we currently have. It hasn’t been a terrible trailer but it’s built to a price point. We got what we paid for.

Looking at the Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS or the Eagle HT 284 BHOK. Either one looks like solid units and we are looking for something that would last us until our kids wouldn’t want to camp with us anymore. Wife really likes the idea of the 5er but I’ll be honest, I’m concerned how it will tow with my truck.

My truck:
2018 GMC Sierra 2500 HD crew cab 6.5’ box
6.0L gas
6L90 trans
4.10 gears
Payload 2617
5th wheel tow rating 14,000#
GCWR 21,100#

The 29.5 weighs 9500 empty. Our current TT UVW is 6640. Truck tows that just fine. Most times I can get it to tow in 6th gear but if it does down shift to 5th your foot is almost out of the throttle to where it wants to upshift. I don’t see us adding much more stuff to the camper than we already take so I’m thinking a wash there. It’s the additional 3000# plus hitch. We live in Michigan and have only camped here. Typically we are no further than 2-4 hours from home, no mountains or anything.

These HTs are “supposed” to be half-to towable so I’m thinking I would be fine. Right now I can tow my TT at 70-75 no problem. I’m fine if I need to back down to 65 or so. My concern is if it doesn’t pull in 5th gear, the truck runs 3000 rpms in 4th at 60mph.

Anybody towing something this weight with my truck setup? Is it a struggle? Will it tow it in 5th gear. Diesel is not an option so if this isn’t a good fit, we may have to go to the 284 BHOK TT.

Thanks, and sorry for the long 1st post!
Loomis077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 11:39 PM   #2

I towed a 29.5 bhds with a 2016 f250 6.2 gas. It towed pretty well. I had the higher rear end in it. On flat ground it would stay in 6th. Bigger hills like 8 percent for several miles was a challenge 45mph in second. I take my rig on at least one long trip a year (1000+miles) if I did not and stayed closer to home I would not have upgraded to a diesel. And by the way we love our 29.5 bhds.
Old 02-10-2021, 07:30 AM   #3

I have a 2016 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS that I ordered with the extras. So it came out of the factory at 8850 lbs. At the time I had a 2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 with a short bed. Capacity towing on the truck was 9100 lbs. So I put air bags an Air Life system on the rear and heavy duty brakes with vented rotors on the truck. So it helped with the stoping power and I had no problem pulling but the weight issue gets to you after awhile. So after two round trips to Florida from Chicago for the winter and a couple summer trips in the midwest I traded the 1500 in and bought a 2018 Chevy Silverado HD 3500 Duramax Diesel with standard bed. So no more worries about stopping. Again it's not about the pulling it's about the stopping.

Good luck

Marko
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 07:57 AM   #4

I pulled a 16 26.5BHS with a 2016 2500HD. I had the diesel which allowed me less payload than you’ll have, so from a payload/suspension standpoint, you’ll be in good shape. As for power, I think you’ll be fine since you have the 4.10 gearing. You’ll drink plenty of fuel as the front surface area you’re forcing through the air is substantial compared to a travel trailer. At 70-75 you’ll be deep into mid single digit MPG. A little slower and it’ll increase your range a bit.
2022 Chevy 3000HD Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 12:04 PM   #5

I have that trailer (2018) and a 2015 GMC 2500HD 6.0. PM me if you want my first hand experience with this combo. I’ll dig out some weigh slips, too.
Shall36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 09:20 AM   #6

So we finally found a couple dealers that had the 29.5 BHDS in stock, although neither unit had the exact options on it we would want. Overall I think it was a really nice unit. Storage looks to be superb. When we were in the first one my wife and I both noticed that the bathroom floor squeaked/flexed a decent amount. Bad enough that you could heard the shower surround making a little noise. We honestly thought is this normal? We left and went to another dealer that had one and lo and behold, that bathroom floor squeaked too although not quite as bad.

Is this a normal thing? Is it the cold weather? I’m in Michigan. Are they not crazy fastened down to allow things to flex so they don’t break? Just thought this was odd for 2 brand new units. Other than that they looked like a phenomenal unit. We definitely liked the Modern Farmhouse interior of the second one.

Also, I’m wondering if this thing would tow remotely level with this gooseneck looking shorter than others and my 2018 Sierra 2500 sitting so high stock?
Old 02-14-2021, 10:35 AM   #7

Whether or not it will tell level depends on a lot of factors. I have a 1 inch rear spring drop on my truck and I use the Andersen ultimate hitch. I have the Morryde orbital pin box. It rides slightly nose high. If you have a stock 2500, it is almost certainly going to toe nose high. My trailer has the 15 inch wheel package, so a 16 inch package would help.

What pin box is coming with the units that you were looking at?

I don’t think my bathroom squeaks when you walk in it.
Old 02-14-2021, 11:59 AM   #8

It has the LCI Turning Point pin box standard now.
Old 02-14-2021, 02:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loomis077 View Post
It has the LCI Turning Point pin box standard now.
I think that’s another proprietary pin box, meaning that the wings that mount the box won’t work with other boxes. So, if you don’t like that box or it doesn’t work well for your rig, you’re stuck.

Do you have factory 5th wheel prep?

The truck will pull it fine. You have less payload than me but you should be fine. Billsteins and either a Blackbear tune or a DiabloLew tune will improve shift points and how the truck drives.

The rig itself is OK. Do a very thorough PDI of every system and the roof. Trust me on that. You might even consider hiring someone to do a PDI before you sign any paperwork.

Auto level is a must. I would do 16” wheels. 2nd AC prep at minimum. If you do warm weather camping, just get the second AC now. If you can get one with a normal pin box, that’s what I would do; gives you so many other options down the road.
Old 02-15-2021, 06:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shall36 View Post
I think that’s another proprietary pin box, meaning that the wings that mount the box won’t work with other boxes. So, if you don’t like that box or it doesn’t work well for your rig, you’re stuck.

Do you have factory 5th wheel prep?

The truck will pull it fine. You have less payload than me but you should be fine. Billsteins and either a Blackbear tune or a DiabloLew tune will improve shift points and how the truck drives.

The rig itself is OK. Do a very thorough PDI of every system and the roof. Trust me on that. You might even consider hiring someone to do a PDI before you sign any paperwork.

Auto level is a must. I would do 16” wheels. 2nd AC prep at minimum. If you do warm weather camping, just get the second AC now. If you can get one with a normal pin box, that’s what I would do; gives you so many other options down the road.
No 5th wheel prep so I’d have to do rails and move a 7 round plug into the truck bed. As far as 5th wheel hitches I really like the B&W Patriot for a rail option. Is your truck a 6.5’ bed? Did you need a sliding hitch or standard? It sounds like with the Turning Point pin box I could easily do a standard hitch.

All of the Eagle HTs are now standard auto level. It sounds like the 16” wheel option forces the factory to put the spring hangers in the lower hole on the 5th wheel for tire clearance. I assume the 16” wheel and the shackles in the lower spring hanger hole will be my best shot at getting it level. It will come 2nd air prepped. Probably won’t opt for the 2nd AC as we never camp anywhere with 50 amp service.
Old 02-15-2021, 09:05 PM   #11

Howdy Loomis,

First post here too

I just purchased a 2021 29.5BHDS. I tow it with a new Ford SuperDuty Tremor (slight factory lift) with a 7.3L gas motor/10 speed trans/4.30 gears. The truck is a crew cab short bed (6.75'). I use a B&W companion with the puck system as well as the Turning Point pin box (unlocked so that it can swivel). I also use the Reese wedge that is designed for the B&W.

I feel like the truck and the 5er are a perfect match. It tows really well and with the Turning Point system I can back more than 90 degrees if I need to while using the B&W hitch that has a super small footprint vs a big, heavy slider. The HT Jaycos are super easy to tow with any modern HD truck. I considered a diesel but didn't want the emissions issues and absolutely do not regret the decision.

My 29.5BHDS came with 15" wheels. I knew it was going to be nose high so I had the dealer move the shackles to the lower position that is used when 16" wheels are optioned from the factory. It still sits slightly nose high but it tows fine. I plan to install 16" wheels with the factory size tire after a year or two and then it will sit just about perfect.

My bathroom floor squeaks/pops too! The floor pops and you can hear the shower pan flexing and creaking when the floor moves. It drives me crazy! Wonder what they didn't do that they should have?

Cheers!
SickDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 11:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickDay View Post
Howdy Loomis,

First post here too

I just purchased a 2021 29.5BHDS. I tow it with a new Ford SuperDuty Tremor (slight factory lift) with a 7.3L gas motor/10 speed trans/4.30 gears. The truck is a crew cab short bed (6.75'). I use a B&W companion with the puck system as well as the Turning Point pin box (unlocked so that it can swivel). I also use the Reese wedge that is designed for the B&W.

I feel like the truck and the 5er are a perfect match. It tows really well and with the Turning Point system I can back more than 90 degrees if I need to while using the B&W hitch that has a super small footprint vs a big, heavy slider. The HT Jaycos are super easy to tow with any modern HD truck. I considered a diesel but didn't want the emissions issues and absolutely do not regret the decision.

My 29.5BHDS came with 15" wheels. I knew it was going to be nose high so I had the dealer move the shackles to the lower position that is used when 16" wheels are optioned from the factory. It still sits slightly nose high but it tows fine. I plan to install 16" wheels with the factory size tire after a year or two and then it will sit just about perfect.

My bathroom floor squeaks/pops too! The floor pops and you can hear the shower pan flexing and creaking when the floor moves. It drives me crazy! Wonder what they didn't do that they should have?

Cheers!
Hi.

I have a 21 4x4 F250 7.3 4.30 (non tremor) and will be picking up a 255REOK in a couple weeks. I am concerned with clearance since mine will only have 15 inch wheels as well. Based on your experience, you would recommend I have them move the shackle mounts ahead of time? It will save a headache if we can do it before we get there....

We have a companion in pucks as well. FWIW, I am going to try to get away with NOT using the TP feature, but have ordered the custom wedge in case we decide to not lock it out instead.
Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 12:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Howdy Loomis,

First post here too

Cheers!
Congrats on the new 5th wheel! I thought the sound of the shower tub when walking on the bathroom floor seemed really odd as well. I thought maybe because it’s extremely cold here in Michigan. I also thought maybe the floor has to flex some because the chassis will flex some too? I asked the service manager at one of the dealerships here we have been talking to and she said they are aware of some of those making noise and it’s definitely the shower tub doing it. She said in some cases they have loosened the tub base and put more wood bracing under it. She said they have also gone in the pass through storage and anchored the floor better.

I also talked to her about ride height with my truck. It’s stock but box sides are 57-58” tall unloaded. She said that would be fine but recommended ordering with 16” wheels and having the springs put in the lower shackle bolt. Doing so would help it ride much more level and help me gain clearance at the top of the bed with the 5th wheel attached.

Do you happen to know your unloaded bed height and how much clearance you have above the bed when 5th wheel hooked up?
Old 02-16-2021, 04:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista View Post
Based on your experience, you would recommend I have them move the shackle mounts ahead of time?
Yes, definitely. The new Fords are tall. You might want to eventually move to the 16" wheel/tire combo, too but then you will be ready for that, too.

Quote:
FWIW, I am going to try to get away with NOT using the TP feature, but have ordered the custom wedge in case we decide to not lock it out instead.
The TP system makes it a little harder to hitch because you need to be a little more accurate when you are backing. I think the benefits FAR outweigh the drawbacks though. One nice side benefit is that you can rotate the hitch after you disconnect so that nobody whacks their head
Old 02-16-2021, 04:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loomis077 View Post
I also talked to her about ride height with my truck. It’s stock but box sides are 57-58” tall unloaded. She said that would be fine but recommended ordering with 16” wheels and having the springs put in the lower shackle bolt. Doing so would help it ride much more level and help me gain clearance at the top of the bed with the 5th wheel attached.

Do you happen to know your unloaded bed height and how much clearance you have above the bed when 5th wheel hooked up?
My rail height is 59 inches towards the cab and around 60.5 at the tailgate. I am very comfortable with the clearance between the overhang and the rails and don't feel like it is riding too nose high to be a problem at all.

I would definitely have the shackles lowered. If you are ordering your camper, definitely go with the 16s and the shackles will be in the lower position from the factory.
Old 02-16-2021, 04:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Yes, definitely. The new Fords are tall. You might want to eventually move to the 16" wheel/tire combo, too but then you will be ready for that, too.

Told the dealer to go ahead and move the shackle mounts now before I arrived.
I warned them I might be doing that.

Have already planned to upgrade to 16 at some point. Hope to get a couple years out of it. In some other threads I explained I tried to get them to swap 16s in but it was a no-go.

My 2021 (and the 2020s) F250 is actually a tad lower than the 2017-2019s. But yes, they are all tall. I should go measure it actually.

Thanks for the inputs.
Old 02-16-2021, 11:04 PM   #17

Quote:
My 2021 (and the 2020s) F250 is actually a tad lower than the 2017-2019s. But yes, they are all tall. I should go measure it actually.
Yep, they lowered them a smidge for 2020 on. I have the tremor package on my 2020 so mine is even a little taller than they were in 17-19.

The 15" wheel package works with the height of half tons. The 16" wheel package works with the height of HD trucks. Since pretty much nobody tows these fifth wheels with half tons, they should just put the 16" wheels on all of them from the factory and make the 15" package an option.
Old 02-17-2021, 07:21 AM   #18

Agreed.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shall36 View Post
I dug into this pin box some more. It looks like a good option to help clearance issues with a short bed truck. Here’s the downfall. That pin box appears to be welded to the frame itself. There is no replacing it without cutting and welding on the frame. There also does not appear there is any way to adjust the height of this pin box up and down. In fact, if you look on the LCI website, it says they are for OEM install only.

With having a tall truck that has already caused headaches getting hitch, truck, and 5th wheel setup for clearance and getting trailer level for others, I don’t know how I feel with having one less available height adjustment now.

It’s really starting to look like a real possibility that trying to get this 5th wheel and truck combo close to correct might be more of a headache than anything and may persuade us to stick with a travel trailer setup.
Old 02-20-2021, 07:30 AM   #20

Can you order a 29.5BHDS with a normal pin box?

This is a great layout. Fifth wheel vs TT is a personal thing....you gain some and you lose some. I think Grand Design has a similar floor plan and maybe you can stay away from a proprietary pin box. Or you might consider going to a full Eagle...you’d probably be a little overweight but I think you would be under RAWR and tire ratings.

I personally think a Reese Gooseneck is where it’s at. I strongly suspect clearance would not be an issue (for/aft and sides). Greatly simplifies life.