Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-06-2021, 07:50 AM   #1

2018 Northpoint hot water tank leaking

Man if it one thing or another? I found the hot water tank is leaking is there anything I can look for or is this a replace? Here is some pictures
Attached Thumbnails
C75B55D5-17D4-4486-A168-B43B030BD8AA.jpg   01F859B7-4E7E-4587-AE4B-B6008A60D44C.jpg   9EA8B22E-1BE4-46D1-A65E-910D9FC89307.jpg  
csper29605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:03 AM   #2

Hard to say from those images. What water heater do you have? I am going to assume a tanked system. Did it go through any freezing temps with water in the tank and not turned on? Had any rain storms recently?

On a tanked system there is only a few places water can leak from, unless there is damage. That is the inlet/outlet on the backside of the tank, along with the drain and pressure relief on the access panel side.

Places to start;
  • On the back of the tank there is a water inlet and outlet. Check the threaded pipe fittings. I have had mine loosen up (road vibrations???) and cause a small water leak. I had to fix mine twice.
  • At the access panel there is the low point drain and the pressure relief. How is your caulking around the water heater frame at the outside access panel? This could also allow rain water to get around the WH.

What is above your water heater? Shower, sink, sewer pipes????? Maybe water leaking down from above and flowing through the water heater.

If it is not one of these you may have a ruptured tank. Especially if you went through freezing temps. If you have a Suburban WH, and never changed the anode rod, it could have corroded through. But I have not heard of that happening in such a young water heater.

Do a pressure test on the system. Do you have access to an air compressor, like you would blow out the lines for winter? You will need a few components to inject the air into the city water connection, a tee, a shut off valve and a pressure gauge (~50+ psi). Configure it so you can pressurize RV plumbing system, while monitoring the pressure, and shut off the air supply. In our area, in new household plumbing construction you pressure test at 100 psi, and are allowed a couple psi drop over 24 hours. Do NOT test an RV at 100 psi. I would test at 50 psi. If you have a leak, you will know it immediately as the pressure guage will drop quickly as the air escapes. After verifying it is not leaking at your setup at the city water connection. Go over to the tank and carefully listen. I suspect you will hear a hissing sound of the leak. If not, grab a looong screw driver. Put the handle to your ear, and the blade to the metal portion of the WH tank. It works a bit like a nurse's stethoscope, and will transmit the sound through the screw driver handle to your ear. If your WH is hard to get to, you may want to keep your air compressor connected to the city water connection with the valve open (make sure the pressure regulator is turned down to 50 psi or less). This way you can take your time looking/listening for the leak.

https://www.amazon.com/GOLDPAR-Winte...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

https://www.amazon.com/CARBO-Instrum...7719727&sr=8-7

https://www.amazon.com/INNAV8-Solid-...57498851&psc=1

Good Luck, let us know what your find.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 05:20 PM   #3

I just had the same thing occur. I was looking for the best and safest way in to the hot water tank. Were you able to replace this yourself or did you take the RV in?

Scott
spconlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 06:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spconlee View Post
I just had the same thing occur. I was looking for the best and safest way in to the hot water tank. Were you able to replace this yourself or did you take the RV in?

Scott
We were able to replace it ourself? What was leaking was the fitting that goes out of the hot water tanks so we replaced it and no more leaking
csper29605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 07:42 PM   #5
Site Team

Sometimes just removing it and adding some teflon tape will fix it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote