Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2019, 07:23 AM   #1

2019 319 MLOK - Just one issue after another

We've had our 2019 Eagle 319 MLOK for just a month and, while my wife and I love the appearance of our new camper, we're both quite despondent about the number of issues we've had since taking delivery. Many small issues surfaced which is to be expected and were easily fixed but some were much more problematic.

The sofa/Dinette slide appeared fine when we took delivery but the first time we opened it after getting the camper home it labored and groaned and had apparently shifted. On one side of the slide the rubber seal was barely making contact with the slide out and on the other it was fully compressed. Turns out that not one of the bolts underneath the slide that secure the rack to the slide out or the leveling adjustments were more than hand tight

The kitchen/entertainment slide would intermittently stall on one side and would take several attempts to move in or out. The dealers response to this.. "It's because it's new, it'll improve".

This last weekend on a camping trip, one side of that kitchen slide refused to move out more than 2 inches then the other side would bind up. This is the first RV I've had with a Schwintek mechanism. A call to the dealer service department for advice proved to be a complete waste of time. Their suggestion was to get 3-4 people on the campsite to help us push it out. Couldn't tell us how to put it in manual or even release the motor brake first though...!

Pulled out the manual and found the LED trouble codes and was able to put the slide in manual override to move it out. Did some online research and determined the issue was likely wiring related and looked at some Schwintek/Lippert videos on how to access the motor. When I exposed the cable going up to the motor on the problem side, the wire literally fell out of the wall. It wasn't plugged into the motor connection securely. Plugged it back in and made sure it clicked into place, now the slide works fine.

A/C unit, was taking what seemed like a long time to cool the unit even thougth the temperature was barely touching 80 degrees outside with the AC running on high. That night we turned the AC to low and heard the fan ramp up and the volume of air from the vents increased significantly. Opened the thermostat...High/Low fan speed wires were backwards.

Bathroom grey water gate valve doesn't seal...found that out the hard way first time we went to dump. Haven't fixed that yet as I need to located the valve location in the underbelly. At least it wasn't the black tank. Fixed for now using a spare twist on gate valve I had on hand.

Refrigerator - Dometic, RM1350. Yeah... I know, I've read the forums. It's junk. Cooling is wildly inconsistent. Poorly installed. No baffle over the cooling fins as recommended by the manufacturer and the flap between the two doors doesn't close consistently. If you close the left door and don't check that the flap closed, the fridge obviously won't cool. I fixed the baffle issue, added some insulation in the cavity above the fridge, fashioned a diverter to direct hot air out of the top vent and added a switch to bypass the snap sensor to run the fans constantly. I assume a call to Dometic will be required to address the flap issue, which seems to be a common problem with this model.

So, at the end of the day, I was able to resolve these issues myself which is good, since the dealers service department is not only clueless but weeks behind on service work which would probably have meant giving up the camper for the rest of the season...but the question is why am I doing all this work? Why wasn't any of this checked for quality control before the unit left Jayco??

I can honestly say at this point that as much as we love the look and design of the unit, if the option was available, we'd return it and get our original Heartland Toy Hauler back as neither of us have much confidence that this unit will hold up over time.

So, I'm sure Jayco don't or won't care but for the record, they have a customer that is extremely dissatisfied with the quality of the fifth wheel. We didn't purchase an extended warranty because our research suggested that Jayco's build quality was superior. Obviously that's not the case and wish we had..although again, an extended warranty is generally to cover failures down the road after the factory warranty runs out. These are all serious issues that were present when the unit left the factory...where was the Jayco quality control?

There are pricier "higher end" campers out there but this wasn't an inexpensive unit and right now we sure don't feel like we got our money's worth.
icr21801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:36 AM   #2

They don't have a QC program which is very obvious with the issues some owners have from the get go.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:44 AM   #3

I second that. Just build them and send them on to the dealer to figure out. I posted a few other times that the entire RV industry is what the US automotive industry was in the early 70ís. Actually Jayco is one of the better companies but they need to add a QC program prior to shipping.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipinSC View Post
Actually Jayco is one of the better companies but they need to add a QC program prior to shipping.
Great idea, but they would have a parking lot full of red tagged units waiting for repair and nothing would get shipped. There seems to be no accountability for doing lousy work day after day without worry of repercussions, and that just isn't in the RV industry.

I feel your pain. I bought a 2001 Allegro MH that was a lemon on wheels. EVERY time we took it out a new problem would sprout from the woodwork before I had a chance to fix the prior issue. It was our first and last MH.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:46 PM   #5

I am sorry that you are experiencing these difficulties. A brand new coach should NOT be a time of disappointment. Thank you for posting this information, however, it is exactly the information that I was looking for.

I am in the market for a replacement RV. I had a Forest River Coachmen Chaparral. A piece of corner trim fell off the bedframe. That was the only 'quality issue' that I had in the time that I owned the coach.

I love the layout and decor of the Jayco 319MLOK and hoped to find some real-life experiences with both Jayco quality and the Schwintek slide, which scares me. I'll have to do some research on that Dometic fridge. The other thing that scares me is that the largest Jayco dealer is CW.

I am disappointed for you and disappointed that the first feedback I read is a long way from positive. Best of luck in getting your coach to where it should have been before it left the factory.
Tupelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:59 PM   #6

If only your situation was unique.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupelo View Post
I am sorry that you are experiencing these difficulties. A brand new coach should NOT be a time of disappointment. Thank you for posting this information, however, it is exactly the information that I was looking for.

I am in the market for a replacement RV. I had a Forest River Coachmen Chaparral. A piece of corner trim fell off the bedframe. That was the only 'quality issue' that I had in the time that I owned the coach.

I love the layout and decor of the Jayco 319MLOK and hoped to find some real-life experiences with both Jayco quality and the Schwintek slide, which scares me. I'll have to do some research on that Dometic fridge. The other thing that scares me is that the largest Jayco dealer is CW.

I am disappointed for you and disappointed that the first feedback I read is a long way from positive. Best of luck in getting your coach to where it should have been before it left the factory.
Thanks. My wife and I had our choices narrowed down to a Keystone Chaparral and the Jayco. The new white farmhouse interior in the 319 sold my wife the minute she set eyes on it. Please understand that it’s not my intention to simply put down Jayco just for the sake of it. There are still things we love about the camper and thankfully I’m fairly mechanically adept and able to do (so far at least) the repairs that have been necessary. It’s just a shame that we, as consumers, have to settle despite the hope that we’re paying for quality. That said, it’s by no means confined to the RV industry. Quality and customer service in general are both rapidly disappearing into obscurity. This is my 8th RV and they’ve all had gremlins that had to be worked out but this, sadly, has been the worst of the bunch.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:41 PM   #8

I understand your frustration. I had an open range FW for 2 years and had multiple issues every time I used it. I not only had interior issues and slide issues, I also had delam the first year I had it. Too many issues to list. I do want to say that the schwintek slides have issues but nothing like the cable slides on the open range. When ever we saw another open range, the first thing people ask is how many times have you had gear box failures on the slides. I have had my Jayco 321 now for a year with only a few minor issues. I hope it stays this way. Jayco build quality (even though they none) is way better that the open range and keystone we owned. Hope I didnít jinx myself. One thing about Jayco, the factory CS I have found to be excellent.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by icr21801 View Post
We've had our 2019 Eagle 319 MLOK for just a month and, while my wife and I love the appearance of our new camper, we're both quite despondent about the number of issues we've had since taking delivery. Many small issues surfaced which is to be expected and were easily fixed but some were much more problematic.

The sofa/Dinette slide appeared fine when we took delivery but the first time we opened it after getting the camper home it labored and groaned and had apparently shifted. On one side of the slide the rubber seal was barely making contact with the slide out and on the other it was fully compressed. Turns out that not one of the bolts underneath the slide that secure the rack to the slide out or the leveling adjustments were more than hand tight

The kitchen/entertainment slide would intermittently stall on one side and would take several attempts to move in or out. The dealers response to this.. "It's because it's new, it'll improve".

This last weekend on a camping trip, one side of that kitchen slide refused to move out more than 2 inches then the other side would bind up. This is the first RV I've had with a Schwintek mechanism. A call to the dealer service department for advice proved to be a complete waste of time. Their suggestion was to get 3-4 people on the campsite to help us push it out. Couldn't tell us how to put it in manual or even release the motor brake first though...!

Pulled out the manual and found the LED trouble codes and was able to put the slide in manual override to move it out. Did some online research and determined the issue was likely wiring related and looked at some Schwintek/Lippert videos on how to access the motor. When I exposed the cable going up to the motor on the problem side, the wire literally fell out of the wall. It wasn't plugged into the motor connection securely. Plugged it back in and made sure it clicked into place, now the slide works fine.

A/C unit, was taking what seemed like a long time to cool the unit even thougth the temperature was barely touching 80 degrees outside with the AC running on high. That night we turned the AC to low and heard the fan ramp up and the volume of air from the vents increased significantly. Opened the thermostat...High/Low fan speed wires were backwards.

Bathroom grey water gate valve doesn't seal...found that out the hard way first time we went to dump. Haven't fixed that yet as I need to located the valve location in the underbelly. At least it wasn't the black tank. Fixed for now using a spare twist on gate valve I had on hand.

Refrigerator - Dometic, RM1350. Yeah... I know, I've read the forums. It's junk. Cooling is wildly inconsistent. Poorly installed. No baffle over the cooling fins as recommended by the manufacturer and the flap between the two doors doesn't close consistently. If you close the left door and don't check that the flap closed, the fridge obviously won't cool. I fixed the baffle issue, added some insulation in the cavity above the fridge, fashioned a diverter to direct hot air out of the top vent and added a switch to bypass the snap sensor to run the fans constantly. I assume a call to Dometic will be required to address the flap issue, which seems to be a common problem with this model.

So, at the end of the day, I was able to resolve these issues myself which is good, since the dealers service department is not only clueless but weeks behind on service work which would probably have meant giving up the camper for the rest of the season...but the question is why am I doing all this work? Why wasn't any of this checked for quality control before the unit left Jayco??

I can honestly say at this point that as much as we love the look and design of the unit, if the option was available, we'd return it and get our original Heartland Toy Hauler back as neither of us have much confidence that this unit will hold up over time.

So, I'm sure Jayco don't or won't care but for the record, they have a customer that is extremely dissatisfied with the quality of the fifth wheel. We didn't purchase an extended warranty because our research suggested that Jayco's build quality was superior. Obviously that's not the case and wish we had..although again, an extended warranty is generally to cover failures down the road after the factory warranty runs out. These are all serious issues that were present when the unit left the factory...where was the Jayco quality control?

There are pricier "higher end" campers out there but this wasn't an inexpensive unit and right now we sure don't feel like we got our money's worth.
As an update to this original post:

I had emailed Jayco my list of issues the same day I posted on the forum (Monday) and to my surprise, I actually received a call from Jayco last night. CS rep named Sean was extremely apologetic for all the issues we'd had in the first month of ownership and offered to refer me to another dealership for service. I'll definitely take him up on that offer for any future issues after the lackluster response from my purchasing dealer... who basically mumbled something about being short handed and service was running about 6 weeks behind...which I interpreted as "bring it in, it'll sit here for 3-4 months, you'll lose an entire season of RV'ing and it still won't be right for next season"..yeah, I know. I'm a glass half empty guy :-)

As most of you are probably aware, the 2020 models now come with a three year warranty and Sean is looking into the possibility of getting us the additional year tacked onto our one month old 2019 unit. Whether or not that happens remains to be seen. I would certainly welcome it and have a little more confidence in the unit moving forward knowing that I have a little extra security as right now my biggest concern is the longevity of the unit.

So, I have to give credit to Jayco for reaching out, truth be told, I really didn't expect to hear from them. That tells me they are at least listening to input from their customers. Time will tell.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by icr21801 View Post
As an update to this original post:

I had emailed Jayco my list of issues the same day I posted on the forum (Monday) and to my surprise, I actually received a call from Jayco last night. CS rep named Sean was extremely apologetic for all the issues we'd had in the first month of ownership and offered to refer me to another dealership for service. I'll definitely take him up on that offer for any future issues after the lackluster response from my purchasing dealer... who basically mumbled something about being short handed and service was running about 6 weeks behind...which I interpreted as "bring it in, it'll sit here for 3-4 months, you'll lose an entire season of RV'ing and it still won't be right for next season"..yeah, I know. I'm a glass half empty guy :-)

As most of you are probably aware, the 2020 models now come with a three year warranty and Sean is looking into the possibility of getting us the additional year tacked onto our one month old 2019 unit. Whether or not that happens remains to be seen. I would certainly welcome it and have a little more confidence in the unit moving forward knowing that I have a little extra security as right now my biggest concern is the longevity of the unit.

So, I have to give credit to Jayco for reaching out, truth be told, I really didn't expect to hear from them. That tells me they are at least listening to input from their customers. Time will tell.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like good customer service. Let us know how the new dealer works out.
Jayco 19XUD 2016 (traded-in)
Tundra 2014 (traded-in)
Dargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:39 PM   #11

Sorry for your troubles. I feel your pain. Ours had to have a new controller for the leveling system. Furnace wires found their way to the fan which caused days of investigation to solve the blown fuse problem in the thermostat. A new front cap that took 3 months to get but thankful that the dealer kept fighting for it. New tires with only 2500 miles on the junk from China. A month at the purchasing dealer trying to find the leak in the galley grey tank...sink drain hose backed out of tank inlet. Water leak at the manifold behind the utility compartment. I took it apart and added teflon tape between the brass and plastic parts. An awning issue that I'm still dealing with. For now, the awning is straight wired to the battery. New $446.00 motor was not the issue so I sent it back. Jayco sent me the electrical (12v and 120v) drawings for my camper to help me trace the wiring. Problem is, the awning is not on the drawing. Neither is the switch the fuse or the wire. I could go on but you probably get the picture. If it wasn't for the fact that we really like the camper, my threats of making it go away would have come to fruition. Our last trip was event free. But for a long time we have anticipated something going wrong when we use it and on the rare occasion, when everything works as it should, we are surprised.

2020 Ram Longhorn 6.7 Cummins Aisin CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 371FLFS
2015 Chevy Silverado CC, DRW, 4X4 TRADED
JaycoAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:26 AM   #12

What was the issue with your front cap? I just noticed spider cracks developing in mine. It looks like the paint is not adhering to the cap. I have opened a claim with Jayco CS and am waiting for a reply.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:27 PM   #13

Quote:
What was the issue with your front cap? I just noticed spider cracks developing in mine. It looks like the paint is not adhering to the cap. I have opened a claim with Jayco CS and am waiting for a reply.
I noticed the cap was beginning to fade at the top so I went up there to inspect and found two holes in the gel at the clearance light recess. The dealer made pics and sent to Jayco. Jayco authorized a sand and paint job. As the sanding commenced, numerous spiderweb cracks appeared. Dealer contacted Jayco to request a replacement. After diligently presenting my case, Jayco finally agreed. Three years later and all is well with the cap.

Old 06-14-2019, 04:16 PM   #14

Jayco just approved a sand and repaint for my front cap. As I am seeing spider web cracks in the paint, I wonder if the cap itself is cracking. My dealer did tell me that they have seen this before and it is the paint loosing its bond to the cap. I hope they are correct.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:47 PM   #15

Wow, I am so sorry guys for all of you that are having problems with your unit, it's not a good feeling at the start of the camping season to be going through all of this, I show hope that you guys problem get resolved quickly.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:09 PM   #16

Thanks, at least we have the forum to bounce ideas around, get advice and...well...vent! Sure get more help on here than from the dealer.

And thank you for your service!!
Old 06-14-2019, 09:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Jayco just approved a sand and repaint for my front cap. As I am seeing spider web cracks in the paint, I wonder if the cap itself is cracking. My dealer did tell me that they have seen this before and it is the paint loosing its bond to the cap. I hope they are correct.
If you can't peel the paint off the cap then it's not losing it's bond. If you can, then the gel coat was not properly prepared for paint. I suspect that the paint is spiderwebbed because the gel behind the paint is spiderwebbed and quite possibly the fiberglass behind the gel as well. Mine was as I suspect yours is. With that said, I hope my suspicions are wrong and you have a simple and permanent fix that won't take months to complete.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:06 AM   #18

Schwintek and other issues

I also had issue with TV kitchen slide on my 330RSTS that has only been towed home 400 miles from the dealer. Using this site and info. from Forest River forum I pieced together an attack plan that seemed to fix my issue. Rear of slide was hanging up on retract. Motors did not appear to start at the same time. When having trouble with a "computer" you get it's attention by just removing power and clearing its head. That, and PTFE lubricant applied where video said to put it changed the slide to acceptable. Due back to dealer for slide toppers after my knee replacement.

This site is appreciated for ideas on where to look for answers. Years of chasing telephone troubles taught that somewhere out there, the answer is hidden. Sharing a fix is a good thing.

New left knee 24 June I hope. Watching for refrig. fix as I had same issue on last two trailers and have not yet used this one enough. While I'm down for repair, I can research my next fix. Thanks
Whatsupchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 01:39 PM   #19

One connect

Hello fellow 319MLOK owner , just brought my new 2020 home yesterday and have checked all components and all are A-1 except a propane hose clamp wasnít installed under the belly, simple fix. Can you tell me if your unit had the one connect router installed when you received it ? Dealers closed until Monday, I canít see the router on blue tooth or wi-fi seems itís just not installed ( even looked behind control panel and nope not there

Thoughts if you tried the app for one connect ?

Thanks
Torment123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 02:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torment123 View Post
Hello fellow 319MLOK owner , just brought my new 2020 home yesterday and have checked all components and all are A-1 except a propane hose clamp wasnít installed under the belly, simple fix. Can you tell me if your unit had the one connect router installed when you received it ? Dealers closed until Monday, I canít see the router on blue tooth or wi-fi seems itís just not installed ( even looked behind control panel and nope not there

Thoughts if you tried the app for one connect ?

Thanks
Hey there. Congrats on the new camper. Weíre enjoying ours now Iíve fixed all the ďgremlinsĒ. All our problems were just lack of QC either at Jayco or things the dealer missed, most likely the latter.

Yes, ours came with the one connect and it is located right behind the control panel, you have to remove a panel inside the cabinet to access it. Check your fuse panel, Iíve heard otter members say that the dealers pull the fuses for the one connect while the units are on the lot. I like the app, being able to extend the slides while I keep an eye on them outside if Iím in a tight spot is nice.

Let me know how you make out.
Enjoy!!!!