Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-01-2021, 03:26 PM   #1

2019 Eagle HT 27.5 -Landing gear slipped today

Afternoon all.
In trying to lift my 5th off the truck, the landing gear was struggling, and then slipped/jumped a few teeth and fell about 3". Made me jump big time.
In digging around, numerous phone calls to Dealer, Jayco, Lippert, it sounds like the gears jumped in the gearbox that the motor attaches to.
Dealer & Lippert agreed, gear jumped. Jayco would say nothing.
as of 10/1, ordered new gearbox via Amazon because neither Jayco or Lippert stocks. Will have installed on 10/4 via a local dealer that has emergency room in schedules! Otherwise 30+ days (Camping World in Indianapolis !! Kudo's !!! ).
Digging some: trailer weight from factory is 8231#, Max cargo is 1764# =9995# maximum, per info on inside door. I weighed yesterday at start, 10,025#.
Axle weight was 4020#, therefore 6005# on 5th. -wowzers....
I reviewed Lipperts instructions for the landing gear installed for this VIN, and it says 6000# max. (they do not have any larger)
Therefore, Jayco DID NOT have any safety margin or extra # figured in.
I have replaced the zerks with 90d, and have greased lots. But drwgs indicate that top of shaft is NOT greased, nor has the gearbox itself has any lube points.
Will have more info next week.
-I have off-loaded about 150# and emptied FW tank...
mlitt55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 04:25 PM   #2

Your numbers are off. There is no way you have 6K on the pin, and if you did the truck would be bottomed out.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 05:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlackDak View Post
Your numbers are off. There is no way you have 6K on the pin, and if you did the truck would be bottomed out.
I would agree. My Pinnacle at 15K has a pin weight around 3K.

It's great to hear the OP is having good luck with CW at Indy. We bought our 5er there and had a couple bad experiences with them. Wish you the best and hope it all get resolved in a timely manner.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 06:33 AM   #4

I’m assuming just one side slipped from the description. Seems odd this would happen. Doesn’t mean it can’t though. Is it possible the motor on top wasn’t fully tightened down. Or, another option…. One of the gear assemblies moved in the clamps/leg extension pin not fully engaged. That would be scary. I’d have shat myself if standing close. I tossed my FW off the hitch while on the highway(nearly shat myself) and gear was fine but one assembly moved up in the brackets. Replaced the whole leg on that side that shifted and both motors as a precaution, but I think it was actually ok since it worked fine to reattach. They’re slow but pretty robust.

For the new folks, this is a good reminder to keep all the humans and pets clear of the trailer while loading/unloading and leveling.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 08:41 AM   #5

10/4 update: Angel @ CW of Indy has worked WONDERFULLY!
Local dealer & Lippert agreed'd the gearbox sounded like it was the cause. CW replaced it the day after I got it. I did a quick failure analysis of the gears... NOT the cause. they were good. Did a couple of lifts PRIOR to leaving CW, and it slipped again on 3rd try.
CW techs did a trbl shoot, apparently gear on threaded shaft was stripped and only one side then was lifting RV. Local CW tech recommended to replace BOTH sides (several reasons), Jayco parts dept said they had entire lift, we decided to pay and seek reimbursement later because that would have increased replacement times by WEEKS. (SHOULD BE warranty). Lippert only ships landing parts to J, so they could not assist (unless I wanted all parts/pieces, -nah).
Now waiting for parts to arrive. More info will be forthcoming.
mlitt55 is offline   Reply With Quote