Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-05-2019, 05:38 PM   #1

2019 Pinnacle Battery Disconnect

I'm puzzled. We've had our 2019 Pinnacle for several months and have been mystified as to why the batteries are dead after storing the unit for even just a few days.

We have two 12v batteries and always use the battery disconnect switch after each trip. We thought it was curious the other day when we dropped off the unit and turned off the disconnect switch and noticed the green LED light (on the switch) was still lit. We had seen that before but assumed it would go off.

After turning the switch off and noticing the green LED still on, we tried turning on auxiliary lights on the front cap. No power there.

So, I disconnected the battery and the green LED went off.

Anyone know what might be going on?

Thanks!
tfoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 05:41 PM   #2

It’s not a “true” full disconnect. You’ll have to install one at the battery to kill all the draws.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:45 PM   #3

What's the point of having one? Also, why is the green LED still on after the disconnect switch is off?
Old 12-05-2019, 05:46 PM   #4

I’m right there with you! I’m sure lawyers got involved somewhere!
Old 12-05-2019, 05:52 PM   #5

We haven't had much time in our new North Point, but we learned the same lesson. I could spend time trying to find out what devices are still connected with the disconnect off, but the easiest solution has been posted by Bookemdanno. That's what I've done. Dealer actually replaced our 1st battery when I told them the unit sat for 2 weeks and the battery was dead. They should know it's not the battery.

2020 North Point 315RLTS
Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 05:56 PM   #6

Wow, never heard of that! I've had disconnect switches on previous RV's and they did just that - complete disconnection from battery. Still scratching my head regarding the purpose of a disconnect switch that only works partially, but guess disconnecting the battery will be part of the new routine!

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2019, 06:07 PM   #7

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoliver View Post
Wow, never heard of that! I've had disconnect switches on previous RV's and they did just that - complete disconnection from battery. Still scratching my head regarding the purpose of a disconnect switch that only works partially, but guess disconnecting the battery will be part of the new routine!

Thanks!
Just pick up a disconnect switch.........Dan will come and install it for you.

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:12 PM   #8

Yep, guess I'll pick up a switch. Still gonna see what my dealer says about it.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:24 PM   #9

You will notice a number of items are wired straight to the battery and not through the shut off switch. This may be to power memory for the radio, 6 point levelling presets, smoke and propane detectors. I re-wired everything to go through the switch. I’d rather the annoyance of putting station presets back in, loss of preset on the 6 point- rather than discovering I had a dead set of batteries.
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:29 PM   #10

Gotcha. Thanks for the info!
Old 12-06-2019, 08:55 AM   #11

The only disconnected battery is one with no cables on it. That's how I found myself "upgrading" to two G27 AGM's after I killed the cheap 24's the dealer supplied. Now I keep a 1/2 x 7/16 wrench in the compartment.
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:01 AM   #12

That good ol high tech wrench does the job every time!
Old 12-06-2019, 02:19 PM   #13

Just a suggestion. If your wrench isn't rubber coated at the grip end, wrap electrical tape to cover the non business end. A distraction while tightening or loosening the battery disconnect could result in fireworks and possible injury if there's accidental cross contact with the other battery terminal.

2020 North Point 315RLTS
Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:57 PM   #14

Great point. That's happened to me before. Rubber insulation is good!
Old 12-07-2019, 08:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSmart View Post
Just a suggestion. If your wrench isn't rubber coated at the grip end, wrap electrical tape to cover the non business end. A distraction while tightening or loosening the battery disconnect could result in fireworks and possible injury if there's accidental cross contact with the other battery terminal.

Yeah it's the kind of one-off wrench I get at a flea market for a buck and then wrap it in tape and store in a ziplock on a shelf above the batteries. No arc welding for me!
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:12 PM   #16

Quote:
I'm puzzled. We've had our 2019 Pinnacle for several months and have been mystified as to why the batteries are dead after storing the unit for even just a few days.

We have two 12v batteries and always use the battery disconnect switch after each trip. We thought it was curious the other day when we dropped off the unit and turned off the disconnect switch and noticed the green LED light (on the switch) was still lit. We had seen that before but assumed it would go off.

After turning the switch off and noticing the green LED still on, we tried turning on auxiliary lights on the front cap. No power there.

Thanks!
They don't give you a full electrical schematic. The sane thing with my 2919 Hummingbird with the battery drain
I found the tv antenna booster circuit was draining the battery along with the life safety system. There was also a main fuse underneath and behind the batteries on the camper wall that wasn't listed. Maybe Jayco needs to spend less time congratulating themselves and pay more attention to details. Letting the dealers and the buyer struggle to find defects and omissions is not good customer service.
Smc490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #17

We also have a problem with the disconnect on our 2017 Pinnacle. Worked fine for the first year and a half and then batteries were drained. However I think ours has malfunctioned since we are able to turn on lights, move slides etc when we have turned off the batteries with disconnect. Since we are now out of warranty, we added a disconnect directly to the batteries and that has solved the problem.
sjbradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:39 PM   #18

Quote:

Thanks!
Because it was keeping your refrigerator running. I think that is all it does. That is why I am putting a solar panel on mine.
Winnabego Adventurer
Coachman Mirada
Jayco Pinnacle 5W
Motorhommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbradshaw View Post
We also have a problem with the disconnect on our 2017 Pinnacle. Worked fine for the first year and a half and then batteries were drained. However I think ours has malfunctioned since we are able to turn on lights, move slides etc when we have turned off the batteries with disconnect. Since we are now out of warranty, we added a disconnect directly to the batteries and that has solved the problem.
Great idea for storage!
Winnabego Adventurer
Coachman Mirada
Jayco Pinnacle 5W
Old 12-11-2019, 02:43 PM   #20

Great idea for storing!
Winnabego Adventurer
Coachman Mirada
Jayco Pinnacle 5W