Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-09-2020, 10:35 AM   #1

2020 321RSTS Furnace

Hi Campers!

This is a little long so be forewarned!

We are in the process of building a home where we store the trailer so it gets used an average of 2-3 weekends a month.

Having an issue (again) with the Furnace on our Fifth Wheel. We received our unit in August of 2019. The first couple of months the Furnace worked fine, then started acting up. What it would do is fire up the fan portion and run for 20-30 seconds, then shut off never firing up the heater.

Being as the trailer became 'Snow locked' in the shop, getting it to the dealer wasn't much of an option. The dealer is also 3 hours away. Although we do have an authorized Dometic Dealer/Service center only an hour away, but apparently they have had a falling out with Jayco.

That said, I'd yank the unit out myself and drop off at said Service Center (Dometic still recommends them) as we simply wanted the Furnace to work when we used the trailer. Each and every time, the furnace would bench test perfectly. In fact, after dropping off for a 3rd time, we left the thing for a week and let them test it at various times. Again, Bench testing worked perfectly with the technician trying to make the thing fail.

Even came home on Technicians advice and looked for kinked gas line being the culprit. Did find one spot that we thought was touchy and maybe when the rubber warmed up enough would cause it to fail so that was corrected.

So I bring it back and re-install. Wife does a little playing with the thermostat and for the last few months, the furnace works fine, until this last weekend.

Now lets explain the playing with the thermostat. We literally have the thermostat apart and hanging by the wires. We don't know why it worked this way. Failures have various theories of thermostat mounted in a recess to being in front of the entry door.

At this point, we have a new Thermostat on the way (upgrading to Bluetooth model since we are replacing it) and hoping this solves our issue.

For those curious, The sail switch, limit switch and board all tested great. This will happen at all levels of propane or either tank.

I'm going to try and reset the furnace (this didn't always work) and hope between that and the new thermostat, it starts and stays working like it should.

I'm still thinking we've got a board that is acting up and I've heard of a Dino board(?), but am waiting to see if the reset and new tstat work first.

Looking at the reviews on Dometics website for this unit (DFMD 30121) don't give me much hope.

Any suggestions are appreciated.