Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-04-2019, 12:35 PM   #21

I had to move the spring shackles down (raise the trailer) to get my trailer level with my RAM 2500 4x4. No 16" tire clearance now.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 01:37 PM   #22

What are some of main issues you encountered with the 30.5 CKTS? I would like to address these with the dealer before purchasing the RV. Thanks!
jpak2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:54 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpak2020 View Post
What are some of main issues you encountered with the 30.5 CKTS? I would like to address these with the dealer before purchasing the RV. Thanks!
We have had some usual minor issues with the trailer. Miswired water heater and a few extra things. If you do a proper PDI you can eliminate these items.

The 30.5 CKTS is a wonderful layout, functional with plenty of storage. But the design of this layout makes it “heavy” on one side. You have 2 slides, the kitchen, propane, utilities, pantry, batteries all on the drivers side of the trailer. This is where I experienced the tire rub with the 16” wheel and tire upgrade. Make sure you have the leaf springs in the lower shackle hole. I would do this even if you stay with the 15” tires. My trailer sits approximately 5/8” lower on the drivers side because of the weight distribution. Make your dealer aware of this and if they aren’t already in the lower hole you want them moved before you will sign. I don’t think this slight lean is going to do anything other than wear out tires on that side faster. So I’ll rotate. I don’t think it has any effect on the towing experience. But I have put shocks on to help with the bounce and sway, again this is an issue with all trailers, not just this floor plan. The only other thing I try to do is when we load the trailer for long trips, I try to but all the extra liquids, like water, soda and beer under the dinette to help with weight distribution.

I don’t know what TV you are using, but we have all been trying to get our trailers “up” to get the proper clearance over the bed, so this will help that also. Other than that can’t tell you much else.

Gone Fishing!
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:15 PM   #24

For those of you with the 16" tires what is the spacing [gap] beetween the front and rear tires? If I swap over to the optional 235/80-16's I will only have 2.5" to 3". Is this enough?

Life is short never miss an adventure and keep searching for new things to do for the first time.
Cenvalleysteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:15 AM   #25

I have a 28.5 and went from the stock 15's to 16's". I elected to go with the 235/80-16. I could have went up to the 85 but that would have given me about 1" clearance between the tires. I now have like 2-1/4" and my X chocks still work and fit in between the tires.

I got a 1-1/4" trailer lift with this tire option which wasnt a problem because I already had a Lippert Correct track system on. I have raised my trailer 4"-5" since I got it and now have 6" around my bed clearance/tail gate and am pretty level finally. My high point on the trailer is the front low profile AC unit which is at 12'-11".
Old 01-17-2020, 06:38 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenvalleysteel View Post
For those of you with the 16" tires what is the spacing [gap] beetween the front and rear tires? If I swap over to the optional 235/80-16's I will only have 2.5" to 3". Is this enough?
Cenvalleysteel: (I assume you are asking about upgrading from the 15" to the 16" wheel option.) I have a 2020 HT 30.5 CKTS that was ordered with the 16" option. My tires are ST235/85R16 Endurance. What you need to know is that you will need to lower your spring shackle mount to the lower hole of the frame mount bracket. I imagine you have the two hole bracket and that it is currently in the upper hole. The issue is that the larger diameter tires will also come very close to hitting the underside of your wheelhouse. Several of us whose units came from the factory with the 16" option had been shipped with the shackles in the upper holes and the tires rubbed the sheet-metal and caused damage. We resolved that by moving the spring shackles to the lower hole (raising the trailer by about 1" overall) and repairing the damage.
Your question about the spacing between tires is the second concern, and a good question for you to ask. Generally speaking, I think the 2 1/2 inches is OK. My unit has the kitchen slide, bedroom slide, and most of the heavy mechanicals (batteries, water heater, propane tanks etc) all on the street side of the camper. This creates a load imbalance to the point that you can actually see the additional suspension compression on that side. Some of us have measured the top of spring distance to the bottom of the frame to be almost 3/4" less on that side. This exacerbates the condition you address: as the springs compress the shackles move to accommodate the springs stretching and lengthening, which moves the two axles closer to each other. On my unit, I have less space between the tires on the street side: almost 3/4" less to be exact.
Under normal road travel, this space seems to be OK. My concern was with the "extreme" conditions that we sometimes encounter on the road that come up suddenly and are unavoidable.
I am in the process of installing SumoSprings TSS-107-40 to address this issue. These attach to the top of the spring plate directly over the axle and absorb some of the shock and spring compression, which in turn, helps to prevent the suspension from compressing even more and closing the gap between the tires.
Long story short: Yes, you can upgrade to the 16 wheels successfully, assuming you address the potential concerns I mentioned above. You referenced 235/80 tires: the factory shipped mine with 235/85 tires. That's a marginal aspect ratio difference, and it would mean your tire selection has a slightly smaller outside diameter, which would be a help. I am assuming the tires you are considering are actually the 80 aspect ratio rather than the 85's Jayco puts on.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:43 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapor3000 View Post
I had to move the spring shackles down (raise the trailer) to get my trailer level with my RAM 2500 4x4. No 16" tire clearance now.
Why doesn't these dealers order the rv with flipped axles when doing tire/wheel upgrade ? My dealer in Longview Tx does this but mainly due to how tall these trucks have gotten over the last 15 years.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:38 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
Why doesn't these dealers order the rv with flipped axles when doing tire/wheel upgrade ? My dealer in Longview Tx does this but mainly due to how tall these trucks have gotten over the last 15 years.
HT’s all come with a flipped axle configuration from the factory. At least all I’ve seen.

Gone Fishing!
Old 01-17-2020, 08:45 AM   #29

[QUOTE=Cenvalleysteel;824357]For those of you with the 16" tires what is the spacing [gap] beetween the front and rear tires? If I swap over to the optional 235/80-16's I will only have 2.5" to 3". Is this enough?[/QUOTE

As mentioned and what this thread is all about, move your springs to the lower shackle hole to raise the trailer. Your X-chocks will still work. But if you use Andersen levelers you may have to cut the one that goes between the tires a little shorter. I have the factory ST235/85R16’s on mine and I had to shorten the leveler for the rear tire about an inch so I could get it between the 2 tires.

Gone Fishing!