Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-03-2020, 07:14 PM   #1

2020 (Late 2019) Eagle HT 29.5 Solar Question

Good day friends.

I am looking to connect a Samlex solar controller, 30 A, to the 5th wheel using the pre wired location. I cut out the wall and can see some wires, but am not entirely sure what is what.
I can see to red wires that have a wire plug on the end, one is marked Positive, the second has no mark. And I can see one black wire of the same gage. It looks to be coming from up top, like the red wires, but seems to go back up top, this is one wire, it is not cut. It looks to be in a loop. I would need 4 wires to connect the controller, two for the panel, and two to the batteries. (See attached photo).

Am I to use the black wire? Am I to cut and use the ends?
Do any of these wires go back to the battery or a fuse somewhere?

Thank you for any assistance you may offer.
It is appreciated.

Rob C.
Attached Thumbnails
Solar Wires.jpg  
Robc.yk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 06:02 PM   #2

I can’t help much because I paid someone to install mine. But the installer told me 2 came from the roof and 2 went to the battery box. He also told me Jayco wasn’t much help. Good luck, I love having the solar.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 06:38 PM   #3

The two large wires, red and black are the correct wires. They both come from the roof connector and go the battery compartment area. The black wire is the negative, the red is positive. Jayco cuts and caps the positive wire, but leaves the negative continuous, assuming you don't need to run it through your solar controller. Most controllers I know of require both to run through the controller.
If your controller requires the negative to be run through it, just cut the black wire at the appropriate location. You will need to determine which red wire goes to the battery and which comes from the roof, but I think there is a label identifying the battery line from what I see in your photo. It is simple enough the test with a tester.
You should check for continuity from the roof connector to be sure both black and red wires were correctly attached at the factory...there have been numerous reports on this Forum that the roof connections were never made.
You may find the red wire is connected at the battery, but don't assume it is. Test it.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:26 PM   #4

Thank you for the information. It is more than Jayco or the dealer has offered me thus far.

I assume to test, plug the batteries in and get a voltmeter, then see any current over each line.
I'm not totally adept, just like to make sure when playing with power its all done right..

Appreciate your time.
Robc.yk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robc.yk View Post
Thank you for the information. It is more than Jayco or the dealer has offered me thus far.

I assume to test, plug the batteries in and get a voltmeter, then see any current over each line.
I'm not totally adept, just like to make sure when playing with power its all done right..

Appreciate your time.
I am very mechanically inclined, electrically not so much. That’s why after asking tons of questions, couldn’t get an accurate schematic and have shocked myself a few times with DIY projects. I decided to go with a professional installer. He even pointed me to equipment that had been around for awhile. It wasn’t the latest and greatest, but time proven. I’m extremely happy with the choice. I didn’t hurt myself and have a totally reliable system.

Best of luck, I was to much of a chicken to do it myself after a bunch of research. But I spent about $600 for the install.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 06:48 PM   #6

Just finished the solar install like you are looking at. The red wire with the + goes to the battery. If you cut the black wire, put your meter on one of the black ends and the red + end. If you read voltage, that's the black that is grounded. Now the other red and other black go to the roof. Make your connections to your controller, install your panel and plug the connectors from the panel into the connection port on the roof. Now you can program your controller and you are good to go.
kcordell57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
controller, eagle, solar, wires, wiring