Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2020, 06:45 PM   #1

2020 North Points, Still Putting Big Slides on Schwintek??? Why?? Anyone having issue

So Im getting ready to trade in my 2016 Seismic. She is my second Jayco Seismic. We’re looking long and hard at new floor plans and other manufacturers. Ive had it with Big floor to ceiling slides with Schwintek systems. They finally realized you cant level a 39-45’ 170000-20000lb coach with electic leveling systems. That only took 8 years. So now that they are putting rack and pinion and hydraulic slides on big slides with reefers and such, why in the world, are they still putting the 382FLRB, which is a fantastic floorplan and rig, big kitchen slides and such on Scwinteks??

Anyone who has a 2020 with Schwinteks having issues with those big floor to ceiling slides on Schwins? Any upper deck slide like a bedroom etc is ok for the schwin, but jeez guys comon! I really want to buy that floorplan but insanity is doing the sane thing over and over expecting a different result. Lookung at the Heartland or Grand Design products. If only the Jayco mechanics were as great as their woodwork and fit and finish.
P25ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:25 PM   #2

Jayco does not use the Schwintek system on the "big" slide. Is is a slim rack system. Similar in design but it is a bit more robust. You can search the forum and find a number of threads talking about issues with this system. I don't doubt it causes problems and at the most inopportune time. And I will admit after reading some of the horror stories I cringe every time I run the slide in and out. However, this system has been used on thousands of trailers by various manufacturers for years. Can it fail, I think there is evidence it can and will. But so will a hydraulic rack and pinion system and at the most inopportune time. I say this from experience.

With all that said I'm sure there are folks out there that have operated the bigger slides with the slim rack system for years with no problems. Following the recommendations, (level before moving slides, hook to shore power and preventative maintenance) may increase your odds. I'm sure others will provide you with a very different view. This is just my humble thoughts.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:27 PM   #3

We like the 382FLRB also but have not seen one in person, this unit has relatively small slide outs considering most others have the tv included in the slide out, so I think you’ll be ok but maybe I’m wrong. On my trailer the slide outs keep unplugging from the in and out movement is the only problems I’ve had, never had an issue with my dinette slide just the fridge and bedroom.

CURT FACTORY ball with the Andersen hitch
Ringneks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 02:38 AM   #4

2020 North Points, Still Putting Big Slides on Schwintek??? Why?? Anyone having issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar57 View Post
Jayco does not use the Schwintek system on the "big" slide. Is is a slim rack system. Similar in design but it is a bit more robust. You can search the forum and find a number of threads talking about issues with this system. I don't doubt it causes problems and at the most inopportune time. And I will admit after reading some of the horror stories I cringe every time I run the slide in and out. However, this system has been used on thousands of trailers by various manufacturers for years. Can it fail, I think there is evidence it can and will. But so will a hydraulic rack and pinion system and at the most inopportune time. I say this from experience.

With all that said I'm sure there are folks out there that have operated the bigger slides with the slim rack system for years with no problems. Following the recommendations, (level before moving slides, hook to shore power and preventative maintenance) may increase your odds. I'm sure others will provide you with a very different view. This is just my humble thoughts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	59679

Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	396.4 KB
ID:	59680

Im here to tell you first hand, that putting that weight and width and height on that Schwintek, and that is a Schwintek, is not a matter of if, its a matter of when it will have problems. The other upper deck slides are fine, agreed. Well within the system’s capabilities.

As an owner of two units since 2013 and a memeber of this forum since 2013 I can assure you that the rate of failure of a floor to ceiling large or heavy schwintek slide is much higher than that of a hydraulic system. All are capable of failure, however the schwintek system is out of its range of capability when you put it on slides like this.

Anyway I’m really interested in this unit however, I just cant go down that road of failure with Jayco again. I don’t want to have schwintek slideout button pushing anxiety anymore!
P25ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:31 AM   #5

I have this setup on a different model, and agree it’s not enough for the size and weight. I won’t open mine unless I’m at the dealer with battery only, and also won’t open it till I’m level. Knock on wood, it always opens and closes, but it feels like it’s straining especially as it closes. Rack and pinion seems the way to go. Simple and robust.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 03:26 PM   #6

This is the model he was looking at.
Attached Thumbnails
0A4CCFDC-60F1-4BFF-97F7-6337C3939FE0.jpg  

CURT FACTORY ball with the Andersen hitch
Ringneks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 05:30 AM   #7

DECKS, FLOORING ISSUES, 2021 Seismic 4113

Seismic 4113 2021 Vintage. Just had both decks, side and rear, replaced due to the flooring buckling and waving. The dealer and Jayco Corp. office said that the decks are not supposed to be left out 24/7. This unit is advertised as fulltime living. This is our home, we are full timers. Any suggestions as to what we can do to prevent this from happening again?
Kurt Drobisch is offline   Reply With Quote