RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-17-2020, 07:56 PM   #1

2020 Pinnacle A/C Issues

We have a 2020 Pinnacle 36KPTS purchased almost a year ago and have noticed what we feel is poor performance from the living room a/c. We've taken it to our dealer twice now and they've been very cooperative in trying to isolate a problem but have been unsuccessful up to this point. To date, they have performed an air flow test, a temperature check of air at the vents, an amp draw check and, most recently, ran a camera through the ductwork to check for any blockage. No issues found. Upon my recommendation, the service advisor ran the primary a/c only for several hours on a day where the temps were low 70's and the inside temp never got below 68 degrees.

Any ideas what the culprit might be? Any Pinnacle owners experiencing the same thing?
20 Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 07:27 AM   #2

If you're getting the 15 to 20 degree temp drop across the coil the a/c is working as designed. You didn't mention the thermostat, has that been checked?
Old 11-18-2020, 07:53 AM   #3

Is this temp a thermostat reading or independent temp probe. My thermostat rarely reads lower when itís warm out, but you can hang meat in the trailer. My thermostat is across from the door. No vents, warm door, and heat rising from the basement through the stairs.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:06 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies. We haven't checked the temps with an independent probe. Currently we've just gone by the readings in the BMPro. I'm picking her up from the dealer today and will ask them about checking the readings in the BMPro or checking the wall thermistors as well as asking about the temp readings across the coil. We're taking her out for a week starting Sunday and will be doing some performance comparisons between he 2 units.

As for hanging meat in the trailer, the bedroom a/c would probably get that low but no way with the living room a/c. Before we took the trailer back to the dealer this last time, we had the trailer in our enclosed shop here at the house. With an outside temp of 82 degrees, we let the main a/c unit run for over 2 hours and it dropped the temp 2 degrees. The unit ran continuously, never shut off. Fired up the bedroom a/c and it dropped the temp a couple of degrees in about 20 - 30 minutes.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 Penny View Post
Thanks for the replies. We haven't checked the temps with an independent probe. Currently we've just gone by the readings in the BMPro. I'm picking her up from the dealer today and will ask them about checking the readings in the BMPro or checking the wall thermistors as well as asking about the temp readings across the coil. We're taking her out for a week starting Sunday and will be doing some performance comparisons between he 2 units.

As for hanging meat in the trailer, the bedroom a/c would probably get that low but no way with the living room a/c. Before we took the trailer back to the dealer this last time, we had the trailer in our enclosed shop here at the house. With an outside temp of 82 degrees, we let the main a/c unit run for over 2 hours and it dropped the temp 2 degrees. The unit ran continuously, never shut off. Fired up the bedroom a/c and it dropped the temp a couple of degrees in about 20 - 30 minutes.
I have the same problem in our Eagle 355mbqs with the Whisperquiet AC in the living room. Dealer has checked it out several times and it still does not perform like I think it should. Well, it may be performing but I don't think it's cooling the living room down like it should. And I don't have a solution to fix this so I'm no help. Just venting. (no pun intended, lol)
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 11:03 AM   #6

Airxcell puts out a document on their website that is used by a tech to evaluate the air conditioner performance. It must be done/completed for warranty consideration. It is looking at evaporator temperature differences (temp drop across the evaporator coil which should be 16 to 22 degrees F), line voltage (should be 103.5 to 126.5 VAC) and compressor amperage draw (compared to rated load amperage and outside air temperature). This process was done when our bedroom A/C unit quit cooling and was eventually replaced under warranty,
Airxcell has a technical library on their website with a lot of good information in various products they sell which can be used to do a bit of self diagnosis.
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:25 PM   #7

Thanks Radar. A Jayco rep sent a "Performance Worksheet" for the dealer to complete but it doesn't have a line to complete for evaporator temp differences, just outside temp, temp at return grill, and temp at supply register.

I might just end up having a mobile tech or one of the local dealers listed on the AirXcel web site take a look at it. Maybe a different set of eyes will catch something the dealer hasn't.

Thanks again to everyone for their replies!
Old 11-21-2020, 04:49 PM   #8

If the airflow is low it’s possible the partition between the supply and return air has a gap.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:10 PM   #9

The airflow seems adequate, based on the dealers tests, and is comparable with the bedroom a/c airflow tests. Both are 15K units. What I don't know is if the airflow tests were done 10 minutes after the a/c's were turned on or after running for an hour or two. Wondering if the system might be "freezing up" after a while and restricting airflow. Plan to test that this week while camping.

Our Pinnacle has the whisper quiet a/c system and the dealer is reluctant to pull the a/c to check for restricted/poor airflow since the airflow tests seems pretty normal.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:18 AM   #10

Quote:
temp at return grill, and temp at supply register.

Same as evaporator temp differences.
Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks Radar. A Jayco rep sent a "Performance Worksheet" for the dealer to complete but it doesn't have a line to complete for evaporator temp differences, just outside temp, temp at return grill, and temp at supply register.

I might just end up having a mobile tech or one of the local dealers listed on the AirXcel web site take a look at it. Maybe a different set of eyes will catch something the dealer hasn't.

Thanks again to everyone for their replies!

If you don't have one, get yourself a Infrared thermometer sensor gun. Cost is as low as $30-40 on Amazon. They are useful for many things besides A/C, like checking wheel hub temps at a rest stop, checking BBQ grill temps, or, nowadays, checking the forehead temperature of a visitor to your RV. Or even checking your pets if you're really bored.

If we think our A/C's are not performing, I simply point the gun at the inflow vents, the outflow vents, and if there is a delta of about 20 degrees, that stops the conversation right there. Otherwise, for us, its a frozen outside coil and we switch it to fan only for a time to thaw.

Your idea of calling an independent local mobile RV tech is a great one. If you can find with more than a few year's experience, they are better than a lot of dealers or even the RV manufacturer. My few calls to Jayco have been useless.

I can assure you that we have spent a long hot summer in southern coastal GA with temps over 100 F without a lick of shade and horrible humidity and we remained comfortable. So it can be done. Good luck with finding your problem and let us know.

Happy Holidays
Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote