Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-27-2021, 08:24 AM   #1

2021 357mdok Battery Installation

My 2021 357MDOK came with solar on the roof and solar on the side installed with 2 12v batteries wired in parallel.

I've been researching and reading different opinions and ideas of how this should be wired up. The solar controller is wired to the bus on the battery side of the battery disconnect, not directly to the battery bank. The controller is the pwm style, sending a pulse check to the battery bank periodically. Would this be more efficient and effective if it was connected directly to the battery bank rather than the shared bus?

I'm just gathering up a sampling of how it's being wired up at different dealers.

My dealer installed both batteries but looks like the positive to positive connections were double jumped. One jumper from post to post and then again on the battery breaker.

The long thick red one is from positive post on battery A to the battery breaker. The thin red one is from the positive post on battery A to the positive post on battery B. Then the thick black one is from positive post on battery B to the battery breaker.

Please post your pictures and setup.
Attached Thumbnails
20210227_074536.jpg  
jxwilliamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:05 AM   #2

No sure what they have going on there. I only have 1 positive and 1 negative going through the wall into the camper. I'm in the process of installing a master cutoff switch at the battery along with a new circuit breaker. I'll be posting some pictures on my site www.rvyourway.com with in a few weeks once the weather warms up here. For the solar I went with a Renogy 100w suitcase style with the Voyager controller. I removed the controller from the panels and installed it in the basement. I rewired the factory side solar connection to the controller.
matt1751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:14 AM   #3

Thank you Matt.

There are 2 positives running out of my setup, one to the inverter and one to the battery disconnect. The solar controller is wired to the battery side of the disconnect bus. That's where I'm not sure if that's correct. I mean technically it's connected to the battery but on the same bus as other things so I'm wondering if I should take the solar controller wires off of the bus and run them directly to the post on the battery bank. That seems it would be a more direct connection and reading of the batteries.

I ran my solar suitcase on the RV I traded in directly to the battery not to the battery disconnect bus. I also had the Victron battery monitor installed and it was great. I'm holding out on adding it back to my current setup until I shake the system as-is first.

Looking forward to seeing your setup.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:50 AM   #4

Ok that explains the 2nd wire as I don't have an inverter. My solar is wired to the back of the buss bar as well and charges fine.
matt1751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1751 View Post
Ok that explains the 2nd wire as I don't have an inverter. My solar is wired to the back of the buss bar as well and charges fine.
Thank for reading and responding.