Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-30-2021, 10:07 AM   #1

2021 357MDOK - kitchen slide stuck on fridge side

Good morning,

I went to mow the lawn yesterday, so I attempted to pull in all of the slide-outs. All were fine, except the large kitchen slide-out, which pulled in mostly fine, and then went crooked at toward the end. The fridge side pulled in all the way, but the couch side was sticking about about 2-3 inches. I was able to hit the button again and it corrected itself, so the slide is fully in on both sides.

After, I tried extending the slide (using the physical buttons on the BMPro), only the left side wants to go out about 2-3 inches, and then it stops. There is also only motor sounds from the left / couch side. The fridge side makes no electrical sounds and absolutely no movement.

I looked online and this in theory should be a cable slide, based on the cables on the side. However, every video or diagram I've found shows the motor and steel cables going up and are mounted above the slide in the center of the exterior wall. This is not the case with this slide. I took a picture since this looks so weird - they ran electric wires up to the tops of both slides on the main wall (not the slide), and then crimped them to another wire that goes right back down inside the wall.

Does anyone know what type of slide this really is, and where the motor(s) actually are located? Is there a control box somewhere like on a schwintech?

More than likely, this is going back to the dealer under warranty to fix whatever is wrong here, but I was curious if there is any other troubleshooting I can try first, since their service department is closed for the weekend. All 4 visible steel cables I can see are reasonably tight - with just a little play.

Attached is a picture from above the slide, for proof of this weird setup.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0027.jpg  
JayG7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 10:16 AM   #2

On my 2019 I have the Swintec system. If you have that you should see 2 metal gear rods (correct name) on each side of the slide. Take pics lower on the side of the slides to see.
Motors are sandwiched in the walls next to the slide. Motor controllers are in the basement for mine. You should be able to see if there is power there or an error light.
Jayco 19XUD 2016 (traded-in)
Tundra 2014 (traded-in)
Dargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 10:29 AM   #3

Okay, I think I figured out the slide mechanism - it looks like BAL now makes something called the Exact Slide, which has to be what I have here.

https://balrvproducts.com/products/o...ct-slide.shtml

I'll have to locate where they decided to install the controller and see if this guide is of any use. I'm wondering if it's lost power to that side, or if the motor died. https://balrvproducts.com/downloads/...e%20Manual.pdf
Old 10-30-2021, 10:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargo View Post
On my 2019 I have the Swintec system. If you have that you should see 2 metal gear rods (correct name) on each side of the slide. Take pics lower on the side of the slides to see.
Motors are sandwiched in the walls next to the slide. Motor controllers are in the basement for mine. You should be able to see if there is power there or an error light.

Nah, it's definitely not a schwintec - My bedroom slide is a schwintec. This one has 2 cables on each side of the slideout - no gear tracks along the slide-out itself.

Interesting that the 357MDOK has 4 slides - and three of them are totally different technology... smh
Old 10-30-2021, 10:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG7800 View Post
Nah, it's definitely not a schwintec - My bedroom slide is a schwintec. This one has 2 cables on each side of the slideout - no gear tracks along the slide-out itself.

Interesting that the 357MDOK has 4 slides - and three of them are totally different technology... smh

Yeah, mine at least only has 2 different types. I am surprised they went with a cable system for that slide though. Well sorry and I hope you can figure it out.
Tundra 2014 (traded-in)
Old 10-30-2021, 10:53 AM   #6

I didn't think Jayco Eagles used the BAL systems. You might have the rack and pinion drive. check under the slide when open, you will see two rack and pinion gear rods.. I don't don't how those work in relation to your problem.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 09:44 PM   #7

Any luck?
Tundra 2014 (traded-in)
Old 11-02-2021, 06:11 AM   #8

You are correct...the kitchen slide is a cable driven slide but it is not the "normal" cable driven slide of years past. Everything is located in columns in the wall on each side of the slide. I had issues with mine earlier this year and the dealer had to reach out to BAL for guidance on how to adjust it because they had never seen this new system yet either. I noticed my slide isn't coming in correctly on the couch side either...seems to go out just fine though. It worked fine all summer after some initial adjustment by the dealer in the spring. A trip back to the dealer is in my future also. As for a controller for it...that I'm not sure...I think there is another controller mounted next to the one for the bedroom slide up in the passthrough storage compartment, but I've never looked at it much.

**EDIT**

I just went and looked in my pass through storage area where the controller for the bedroom slide is (look above the battery disconnect switch) and there is another controller there....it looks just like the one on the literature you linked to. You are correct this is the BAL Exact Slide system on these newer units.
skidoomatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 12:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidoomatt View Post
I just went and looked in my pass through storage area where the controller for the bedroom slide is (look above the battery disconnect switch) and there is another controller there....it looks just like the one on the literature you linked to. You are correct this is the BAL Exact Slide system on these newer units.
I swear I looked up there, but I'll have to check again. My inverter is mounted in that general area.

Anyway, I luckily figured out my problem. One of the two wire pairs above the slide-out has one of those snap-to-close wire connectors, which has totally failed. If I push the wires back in, the slide moves just fine again. This is great, since my local dealer is now booking appointments in March/April. Easy fix. Now, back onto focusing on the heating issue in the other thread

Thank you, everyone!