Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-20-2021, 10:39 AM   #1

2021 Northpoint 310rlts axles

Is there anyone having axel issues? We purchased this April 1, 2021. It was manufactured November 2020. We started a warranty claim early September for the axels, after discovering the left rear tire was bald from inside edge a full 2 inches. We contacted Jayco by email attaching pictures. Jayco notified Dexter and forwarded pictures of tire wear and axle alignment being out 5/16”. Dexter came back and said that it’s not a warranty issue for defective axles but as their letter stated, as a good will gesture, they would send 2 new axels and spring assembly plus cover 2.25 hours labor and also cover the freight cost. The axels were shipped to our Mobil Tech, who received them Monday, October 18th. Yesterday, our 2 techs came out to breakdown old axels and install new ones in 3 hours x 2 men =6 hrs. We’ve sent the invoice to Jayco to recoup the 3 3/4 hrs. I’ll try and post pics. They are 7000 lb axels. Axel 50170567
S/N #132238743026 and 3027
Because there is no recall issued, our next step is to contact the NHTSA. Take care all!
Lov2run1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:23 PM   #2

Keep us updated, I’d love to know the outcome. Thanks

CURT FACTORY ball with the Andersen hitch
Ringneks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 09:20 PM   #3

I had the same problem on my 2020 Jayco northpoint 377rlbh. I got the same good gesture comments with them refusing to acknowledge the axle problems. My axles have bent twice now and there was even a recall on a different Jayco Northpoint Floorplan that had a lower GVWR than mine. These campers are too heavy for the axles!
bcsparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 09:21 PM   #4

My camper has been in the shop being repaired since August 2020 ( over 16 months)
Old 12-01-2021, 01:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcsparks View Post
My camper has been in the shop being repaired since August 2020 ( over 16 months)

Wow, you're kidding right?
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:00 AM   #6

I wish I was kidding. Camping World botched many of the repairs back in January and had to redo them. I'm hoping to go in this week to check it out. I also have the defective gas regulator that's on back order.
Old 12-04-2021, 01:45 AM   #7

Okay, let us know how it goes I know that I have heard a lot of horror story on CW.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 04:56 AM   #8

Since the axels have been replaced, so far no issues. Contacted Treddit Tire for tire replacement and that was shipped, received and mounted. We did file a complaint with the NHTSA. We’ve not received information as of yet from them. The axels are an industry wide problem and needs to be addressed by every Jayco Fifth Wheel owner. To stay ahead of the game, everyone should inspect their axels or have someone do it for them. Should be done prior to each trip, during and after.
Lov2run1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 01:34 PM   #9

I believe that Jayco has calculated the saving from cutting axle costs is cheaper than paying for the litigation on underrated axles. The trailer I have is rated at 16,750 lbs. That's 2750 lbs over the 14k of axle ratings. I understand that some of the weight sits on the pin but during turns and over bumps the weight shifts.

Some weight analysis I completed on my camper that the manufacturer is not considering correctly. They are selling features that the camper is not equipped to handle.

Also a note about the published weights of the trailer from Jayco's site. It doesn't include any of the normal weights that the camper is designed to hold.

The dry (empty) weight is listed as : 14040 lbs

Added standard weights of designed/engineered camper standard/addons
600 lbs - 75 of fresh tank
696 lbs - 87 gallons of gray tanks
400 lbs -50 gallons of black tank
80 lbs -10 gallons of hot water
40 lbs - 5 gallon drinking water tank in storage bay
125 lbs - qty 2 batteries to run residential fridge
216 lbs - qty 3 - 40 lb full propane tanks (with Gen prep pkg)
279 lbs - cummins onan 5500 lp generator
153 lbs - splendide 2100 washer/dryer combo
50 lbs - outside TV addon

So without any storage I'm at 16,679 lbs if my tanks are full

That would leave me with 75 lbs of cargo That doesn't include any camping accessories and tools stored in the basement, food in both the residential fridge and outdoor kitchen fridge, food stored away in the included food pantry, clothing for 9 people that its rated to go camping in, and cleaning supplies to go along with the washer and dryer. My main point here is that the camper was designed with lots of features that it wasn't actually engineered to hold legally.
Old 12-04-2021, 05:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcsparks View Post
Added standard weights of designed/engineered camper standard/addons
600 lbs - 75 of fresh tank
696 lbs - 87 gallons of gray tanks
400 lbs -50 gallons of black tank
I think Jayco assumes that you may travel with either fresh or gray/black tanks full, but not with both. Even if you are boondocking, I cannot imagine anyone having both full. That would gain you at least an extra 1,000 pounds of cargo capacity. I know the manual tells you not to travel with any full tanks.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 06:20 PM   #11

What if Im at harvest host and only have a waterhose to plug in to and can't dump my tanks?
Old 12-04-2021, 06:51 PM   #12
mhh

Gross weight for a 310rlts is 15000 lbs.
mhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:02 AM   #13

I have a 2021 Jayco 310RLTS with 5000 miles est. Noticed the same problem in October when we put it in storage for the winter. Driver side rear tire bald on inside tread. Cannot get an appointment till 3/10/22 with the Jayco dealer. Trip planned for 3/26. Last week I took it to Tiffin dealer that also does some trailer work. They said it was a loose bearing and they needed repacking, did that. I just didn't feel comfortable with their answer. So yesterday I took it into a truck and trailer suspension shop. They said the axel was bent.
When I spoke to the dealer yesterday, he said it would take 3-4 months to get the axels. I am going to call Jayco this morning but from my experience in the past with them it will be a mood point. I have had everything from leaking hydraulics to burning wires on my hot water heater.
My question is can I buy the axels myself aftermarket and have them installed?
Any thoughts on how to handle this so we can make our trim in March?

Scott
Old 01-20-2022, 10:47 AM   #14
Site Team

Do you trust the advice from the axle shop? They should be able able to replace it and re-align them. Of course it will likely be out of your pocket.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 07:49 PM   #15

ax·el
/ˈaksəl/
Learn to pronounce
noun
a jump in skating with a forward takeoff from the forward outside edge of one skate to the backward outside edge of the other, with one and a half turns in the air.

Definition of axle
1a: a pin or shaft on or with which a wheel or pair of wheels revolves
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 08:19 PM   #16

Bad axle seems to be common

2020 Pinnacle 32rlts, I had my RR tire wear bald on it's inside edge with only 3500 miles. Placed a straight edge on it and it was obvious it had too much toe out. Jayco honored warranty and dealer replaced the rear axle and both tires no questions asked. Warranty issue #31 of 34 and counting. Warranty expires in 8 months, hoping we're done with the worst of things.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:21 AM   #17

I cringe when I read these types of posts. The 2 year warranty runs out at the end of May on our 32RLTS. So far we have had to have one a/c changed that didn't work from day one, a kitchen slide adjustment and replace the BMPro tablet which crapped out, which I did myself. Maybe should include the propane regulator recall but that stuff happens. I did bypass the cord reel with a conventional outside connection but only because I didn't like the reel when trying to use it in cold weather. Maybe I got lucky or the storm clouds are gathering. I'm hoping for luck.

I just added the Roadmaster shock set to ours and took the tires off to have them balanced. No sign at all of any abnormal wear with 8K or so miles on them.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:27 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
I cringe when I read these types of posts. My 2 year warranty runs out at the end of May on our 32RLTS. So far we have had to have one a/c changed that didn't work from day one, a kitchen slide adjustment and replace the BMPro tablet which crapped out, which I did myself. Maybe should include the propane regulator recall but that stuff happens. I did bypass the cord reel with a conventional outside connection but only because I didn't like the reel when trying to use it in cold weather. Maybe I got lucky or the storm clouds are gathering. I'm hoping for luck.

I just added the Roadmaster shock set to ours and took the tires off to have them balanced. No sign at all of any abnormal wear with 8K or so miles on them.
This is off topic, but did replacing the tablet fix the "fetching" issue between the BMPRO and Winegard? It was you that had started that thread?
Old 01-21-2022, 09:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
This is off topic, but did replacing the tablet fix the "fetching" issue between the BMPRO and Winegard? It was you that had started that thread?
I'm pretty sure the penalties for being off topic are pretty mild, since most threads do a 180 at some point.

I read thru that "fetching" and I am totally confused, so no, I wasn't involved. I have only used the tablet to control the functions. I use the phone app quite a bit also. I've had very good luck with the Winegard Gateway, except when the park signal is weak. I set it up with my laptop. I haven't tried doing anything other than operate the coach functions with the new tablet. The old one just went blank. I have been wanting to do updates, if any, but our wifi at home does not reach our rv garage. We have a Netgear Orbi router with one satellite but I think I need a 3rd one or something to get the signal out further. It's less than a 100 feet from the house but has to go thru a couple of brick walls.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:11 AM   #20

Lol, thanks. Ours works fine as well other than the issue I mentioned. I also use Winegard's Connect app which works very well.