Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-19-2023, 04:01 PM   #1

2021 Pinnacle Screen Door is a PITA

I'm going crazy trying to adjust the extremely poor designed screen. When I snap the screen door to the outer door when I try to close the door, the screen door detaches from the outer door making it impossible to close and lock the entry door. Can someone talk me thru adjusting the "catch mechanism" so the screen door will not detach while I am trying to close the outer entry door?
Old 09-19-2023, 04:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracer View Post
I'm going crazy trying to adjust the extremely poor designed screen. When I snap the screen door to the outer door when I try to close the door, the screen door detaches from the outer door making it impossible to close and lock the entry door. Can someone talk me thru adjusting the "catch mechanism" so the screen door will not detach while I am trying to close the outer entry door?
I will probably be of no help:

I am not sure if the screen and door design is the same for an Eagle like I have.

I am also not sure if you have fold up rigid stairs that have part of the stair mechanism on the threshold of the entry.

But MY similar problem could not be solved by adjusting the door or the screen, or the latch tolerance between the two. I had to trim the screen door brush sweep on the bottom of the screen door. It was getting caught up on that stair threshold, and there was no further adjustments to that I could make. (Stairs operate perfect, door operates perfect.)

It took me a year to resign myself to this solution, but it ultimately resolved it. Again, fo rme the not so apparent problem was the screen door getting hung up on the stair threshold when opening or closing the door.
Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 04:54 PM   #3

My specific issue has to do with the latching mechanism between the screen door and the outer entry door. My rig is permanently set up with full hookups and a small deck with stairs leading to the entry door. Because of that, I have removed the stairs so they are not the issue. But as always, thanks for commenting
Old 09-19-2023, 05:02 PM   #4

I would assume it is the same PITA as ours. The small black "catch" that is mounted to the actual door is what holds the screen door and pulls the latch back so it doesn't catch. It does have slots to adjust it. Loosen the two screws and slide it toward the hinge side of the door. Ours was far enough off that I had to remove the top screw completely and move it to a new location.

2021 Northpoint 373 BHOK
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 Denali DRW
Rodney27405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 05:13 PM   #5

Quote:
My specific issue has to do with the latching mechanism between the screen door and the outer entry door. My rig is permanently set up with full hookups and a small deck with stairs leading to the entry door. Because of that, I have removed the stairs so they are not the issue. But as always, thanks for commenting
Yep, I understand you think the issue is between the screen door latching mechanism and the door. I thought that as well.

It was not until I realized the screen door did not travel freely, and I had adjusted the latch between the doors multiple times, that I discovered the real problem.

However ... since you don't likely have a large threshold in the way ... that is likely not your problem. But for grins maybe just see if that screen door gets hung up a bit on the threshold?

Like I said ... probably not your issue but it helps to think outside the box sometimes.
Old 09-19-2023, 05:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney27405 View Post
I would assume it is the same PITA as ours. The small black "catch" that is mounted to the actual door is what holds the screen door and pulls the latch back so it doesn't catch. It does have slots to adjust it. Loosen the two screws and slide it toward the hinge side of the door. Ours was far enough off that I had to remove the top screw completely and move it to a new location.
Per the above, there was no solution for me adjusting that catch - it was friction on the screen door causing my problem that no adjustment of the catch would resolve. (In fact, either the mfg or the dealer on mine had tried to adjust the catch before I purchased it. I noticed additional hole during one of my problem determination sessions.) For me the only answer was resolving the friction on the bottom of the screen door sweep by trimming the brush sweep.

Sounds like that was not your solution nor the OPs, but wanted to throw it out there for others that may read the thread.
Old 09-19-2023, 06:06 PM   #7

That sounds like you have the same screen door design as mine. I'll give it a shot in the morning. Don't know why Jayco ever put this designed on their 5th wheels. Heartland screen doors are so much better than what Jayco calls a screen door.
Old 09-20-2023, 04:13 AM   #8

I may need to look at ours also. By and large it works fine, but it will do this as well at least once or twice during a trip.
Old 09-20-2023, 09:16 AM   #9

Well you are extremely lucky. Mine has been trouble ever since I took delivery of my Pinnacle. Lippert Doors have designed a push bar for THEIR screen doors that everyone raves about. The Screen door on the 2021 Jayco Pinnacle with it's poorly designed latching system has no aftermarket solution. I'd love to just remove the door and toss it in the dumpster but then how do I keep bugs out.
Old 09-20-2023, 02:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Well you are extremely lucky. Mine has been trouble ever since I took delivery of my Pinnacle. Lippert Doors have designed a push bar for THEIR screen doors that everyone raves about. The Screen door on the 2021 Jayco Pinnacle with it's poorly designed latching system has no aftermarket solution. I'd love to just remove the door and toss it in the dumpster but then how do I keep bugs out.

I agree with you, HOWEVER, my wife says it's my fault, that I am too rough with it whatever that means.
Old 09-20-2023, 02:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
I agree with you, HOWEVER, my wife says it's my fault, that I am too rough with it whatever that means.
None of us guys have the delicate touch that our wives have and she may have a point. But why would an RV Screen Door manufacturer build a screen door that requires a delicate touch when in reality, men with big meaty hands walk in and out of that door sometimes even slamming the door on our way out.
Old 09-20-2023, 02:40 PM   #12

Quote:
None of us guys have the delicate touch that our wives have and she may have a point. But why would an RV Screen Door manufacturer build a screen door that requires a delicate touch when in reality, men with big meaty hands walk in and out of that door sometimes even slamming the door on our way out.

Lol, that would be me
Old 09-27-2023, 01:52 PM   #13

If you have the MORryde Steps then what you have is a poor design by Jayco. My 2023 Pinnacle has the MORryde Steps and if you will notice, when you fold the steps up, a side bracket on the Steps goes against the door frame to hold the Steps in place. The Door was designed to have the screen door tight against the fame when closed and the outside door tight against the screen door when it is closed. Because Jayco has added the steps without working with the door manufacturer, the step bracket no longer allows the screen door to close against the frame. It is like adding a 1/8" thick washer in a door hinge at your home and then trying to close the door. Something has to give. In this case it is bending of the screen door frame or bending the door hinges on the RV door. If RV were going to incorporate the MORryde Steps, the door should be redesigned to allow for the step bracket. When I could not close the door of my new 2023 Pinnacle without it binding, I was told to just slamp it shut. After slamming it shut, I observed there was a 3/16" gap on the bottom of my door between the door and the door gasket. The dealer changed the door and was able to get that gap almost closed but it still binds which is caused by the step bracket.
bgelyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 06:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgelyhome View Post
If you have the MORryde Steps then what you have is a poor design by Jayco. My 2023 Pinnacle has the MORryde Steps and if you will notice, when you fold the steps up, a side bracket on the Steps goes against the door frame to hold the Steps in place. The Door was designed to have the screen door tight against the fame when closed and the outside door tight against the screen door when it is closed. Because Jayco has added the steps without working with the door manufacturer, the step bracket no longer allows the screen door to close against the frame. It is like adding a 1/8" thick washer in a door hinge at your home and then trying to close the door. Something has to give. In this case it is bending of the screen door frame or bending the door hinges on the RV door. If RV were going to incorporate the MORryde Steps, the door should be redesigned to allow for the step bracket. When I could not close the door of my new 2023 Pinnacle without it binding, I was told to just slamp it shut. After slamming it shut, I observed there was a 3/16" gap on the bottom of my door between the door and the door gasket. The dealer changed the door and was able to get that gap almost closed but it still binds which is caused by the step bracket.
I am so pissed off about the screen door latching system. There are times where I have to spend 20 or 30 minutes trying to close the damn door and every time I push it closed, the screen door separates from the main door making it impossible to close the main door. I wish I could get every purchaser of the Pinnacle with that stupid door design and find a lawyer for a class action law suit. Of course that would never happen but I am game to put a group together and start bombarding YELP with not so friendly reviews
Old 09-28-2023, 07:51 AM   #15

I just don't get it, our 2020 pinnacle screen door works perfectly fine. Makes me think it's an adjustment issue.
Our mor ryde steps are what annoy me.
ARoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 07:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
I just don't get it, our 2020 pinnacle screen door works perfectly fine. Makes me think it's an adjustment issue.
Our mor ryde steps are what annoy me.
Any chance you can PM me and send a picture of your screen door and latching system to the main door.. Maybe Jayco redesigned the latching system in 2022

Thanks
Ted
Old 09-28-2023, 01:47 PM   #17

(The grab bar is added, camco IIRC). The screen door latch clips to door, and when it's latched to the exterior door it doesn't allow it's latch to catch the door frame, and it opens and closes with the exterior door as one. When not latched to the exterior door it will slide out enough to catch the door frame. I've never had any problems with the screen door other than my ham handed stepson pulling the screen door handle tab off trying to open it, he didn't know you had to slide the round catch button to open it.
Attached Thumbnails
20230928_152815.jpg  
Old 09-28-2023, 02:48 PM   #18

Quote:
(The grab bar is added, camco IIRC). The screen door latch clips to door, and when it's latched to the exterior door it doesn't allow it's latch to catch the door frame, and it opens and closes with the exterior door as one. When not latched to the exterior door it will slide out enough to catch the door frame. I've never had any problems with the screen door other than my ham handed stepson pulling the screen door handle tab off trying to open it, he didn't know you had to slide the round catch button to open it.
That is identical to my 2021 Pinnacle. If you are not having issues with it now, than consider yourself extremely lucky. Tell me about that Camco Grab bar - how easy was it to install?
Old 09-28-2023, 06:11 PM   #19

Camco Camper/RV Screen Door Cross Bar (42183)
I thought it was a easy install, but I'm a hands on guy. Drill 4 holes, but align brackets inside with the door closed before drilling to make sure the mounting brackets clear the door frame. It does make using the door easier, gives something to grab onto.
Old 09-28-2023, 06:34 PM   #20

Quote:
So if I am understanding it correctly; the plastic black hook piece on the inside main cabin door, whose sole purpose is to hold the knob/latching system from pushing forward and engaging the thin metal strip that is part of the main cabin Door Jamb when attached to the main cabin door.
I have always thought that the main cabin door latching mechanism the mates up with the main cabin door, door jamb should have been at least an 1/8 to a 1/4 inch