Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-25-2024, 04:25 PM   #1

2022-321 RSTS Generator location

Just purchased a 2022 321 RSTS. The front storage compartment is pre wired with a large red battery wire and a smaller wire harness with 5 smaller 10 or 14 ga wires in it with an 8 pin black connector. It also has a 1/2 in LP hose which looks to be the fuel source.I am assuming it is for a generator. Can anyone give information on what brand or type of generator it is set up for. I donít see a controller anywhere in the coach that it would be wired to.
Thanks
Scott P
Pkscott2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 06:13 PM   #2

It is the gen prep and should have either three or two 40lb propane tanks. Generator typically used is an Onan LP gas version. Jayco customer service can give you the specifics.
Nevr2late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 07:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkscott2 View Post
Just purchased a 2022 321 RSTS... P
Hi Scott,
Congratulations on your purchase. We have the same camper and we love ours! We've travelled from New Hampshire to Florida three times.
We were surprised at the amount of weight from the kingpin. It's high enough to suggest you may want to confirm the remaining cargo capacity of your truck before you add another few hundred from a generator. For example, we weigh each year we've travelled... the hitch weights have been 2220lbs, 2480lbs and as high as 2580lbs! Is that below your max 5th wheel hitch weight? Next check your payload... add a) the weight of all your passengers, b) all the cargo in your cab plus all the cargo in your truck bed (include your 5th wheel hitch), if you have 2nd fuel tank, c) add the weight of 7lbs p/gallon of diesel plus the tank's weight to 2500lbs (small safety margin) to calculate your estimated max payload (cargo capacity). Is there anything left? Our 3/4 ton truck had max 5th wheel hitch weight allowance of only 2490lbs and our cargo capacity was only 3298lbs.

We knew we were in trouble with those numbers.
We've since upgraded our truck to a 1 ton (3500), with max 5th wheel hitch weight allowance of 2745lbs and max payload of 3808lbs! We then switched from 3 lead acid batteries to single lithium battery (100AH) and also moved heavy items from the front of the bedroom to the kitchen. Our most recent kingpin weight was 2009!! YAY.

We could add a generator now and be within weight tolerance. We probably could have done it with the 3/4 ton too. I'm not saying you shouldn't get a generator. I only mention these things because I have the same camper and worried the weight of a generator could be a lot along with the weight of larger propane tanks to run it.

Good luck and safe travels
PullRite #4452 OE Adapter & #2700 SuperGlide Hitch
Stan&Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 07:13 PM   #4

The geny remote start panel may not be there, just the wiring terminating behind or near your control center.
Old 05-25-2024, 08:47 PM   #5

We have the generator prep and our remote start panel is part of the power screen on the BMPro. I believe it allows you to set both DC voltage and temperature parameters for generator start and stop. Not sure there is anything else that needs to be added as it is controlled by the node I believe. Although I donít have the generator installed, I do see the screen parameters.
Old 05-26-2024, 08:44 AM   #6

Thanks, I will contact Jayco customer service.
Old 05-26-2024, 08:52 AM   #7

I do not see control options for Generator in the control panel, hopefully it is wired just needs to be located and installed. Or maybe control software can be added to the control panel or node? Thanks
Old 05-26-2024, 10:28 AM   #8

If you look on page 35 of the BMPro manual it covers the generator functionality.