Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2022, 02:44 PM   #1

2022 Jayco Northpoint / Propane Tanks

My 2022 Northpoint 310RLTS has Gen Prep with three propane tanks. Can anyone explain the tank order in which use would draw from. Like drivers side front tank empties first, then another one in any specific order. Or does propane just draw from all three tanks at the same time? Thanks
Jayco Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 03:49 PM   #2

One tank at a time. You have an auto switching regulator which cover your two main tanks. There is a little red lever on the regulator. If both tank valves are open, which ever side it is pointing to, it will draw from that tank first. When the tank pressure is gone, the regulator will auto flip to the secondary tank. The cap on the top of the tank will turn from green (have gas in the tank it is pointing to) to Red (tank is out of gas).

The 3rd tank is a bit different, and I do not know the fine details. It has is independent of the other two tanks. my understanding the regulator will not release gas unless the other two are not supplying fuel, but I do not know this for fact.

Personally, I only open one tank at a time (always the same tank) until it is empty. If I suspect the main tank is running low, I ether let it run out, then open the second tank. Or if the weather is miserable, I will open a second tank prior to going to bed or making dinner. But I keep a close eye on the regulator color. I never want to run completely out of gas. Leaving all valves open can easily set your self up for having no gas at all.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 04:04 PM   #3

It draws from the single passenger side tank first, then whatever tank the lever is pointed to on the driver side dual tanks, then the third tank (opposite of the lever pointed to) last.

That is how it works on my unit.

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 05:03 AM   #4

I use our three tanks based on what my dealer said he does with his camper. Open only one tank and use until empty. Close off and open another one. This way, he says, you know exactly how much gas you have onboard. I have managed to catch our home's propane delivery driver twice now, and my tanks are full as of last week.
Old 09-08-2022, 05:16 AM   #5

I agree with others and usually only use one tank at a time. If you're not using the furnace or running a lp generator one 40# tank will last a long time. If it's cold and the furnace is running a lot I will use the 2 tank side with auto transfer and use the right tank for reserve.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 11:46 AM   #6

I have the optional propane tank sensors...so I know how much is aboard on all three tanks.

If you open all three tanks...when the indicator turn red...you are on the last tank.

B&W hitch
Old 09-08-2022, 03:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
I have the optional propane tank sensors...so I know how much is aboard on all three tanks.

If you open all three tanks...when the indicator turn red...you are on the last tank.
Which sensors do you have? I still think my simple method works best, however, I love gadgets and have thought about getting some. The BMPRO, logical ones to have with our system, had been hard to find. I have read about another company, their name escapes me right now, that supposedly work well, but I am still partial to the BMPRO and seamless integration with our system. How do you like yours? Are they strictly Bluetooth? How was the install and setup process?
Rene
Old 09-08-2022, 03:09 PM   #8

I have the BmPro SmartSense propane tank sensors. They are Bluetooth and I have them paired to the BmPro tablet. They are a bit of a pain to get centered on the tank just right but work great....especially since I have a propane generator.

B&W hitch
Old 09-09-2022, 05:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
I have the BmPro SmartSense propane tank sensors. They are Bluetooth and I have them paired to the BmPro tablet. They are a bit of a pain to get centered on the tank just right but work great....especially since I have a propane generator.
Thanks, we have the propane genny as well, although seldom use it. You mention centering them just right. I presume this is important.
Old 09-09-2022, 01:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
Thanks, we have the propane genny as well, although seldom use it. You mention centering them just right. I presume this is important.
yes, it will not work unless centered. I found the easiest way is to lay the tank on its side while watching the app for a reading...then install the tank in the RV.

B&W hitch
Old 09-24-2022, 01:17 PM   #11

Propane tank #3

The third (passenger side) tank is for a propane generator and isn’t hooked to the other two. If you aren’t using a generator then keep it full as a spare but if you need it you’ll have to carry it around and install it in place of one of the others. That’s how it was explained to me when I bought my Pinnacle.
wwgilstrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 03:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwgilstrap View Post
The third (passenger side) tank is for a propane generator and isn’t hooked to the other two. If you aren’t using a generator then keep it full as a spare but if you need it you’ll have to carry it around and install it in place of one of the others. That’s how it was explained to me when I bought my Pinnacle.
Sorry, but that is not correct on my unit and others. Follow the hose down from the passenger side tank and goes to a tee and a line that connects to the other side. If you don't believe me, close all tanks except the passenger side and see what works...ie Stove etc.

This is a good video about the tanks

https://youtu.be/24hlv1gBQyk

B&W hitch
Old 09-24-2022, 03:27 PM   #13

I stand corrected.

Thanks for the correction, the dealer furnished the incorrect information and I had not had a need to verify it.
wwgilstrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 04:30 PM   #14

Quote:
the dealer furnished the incorrect information .
What? Dealer, wrong info??
Old 09-24-2022, 07:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Thanks for the correction, the dealer furnished the incorrect information and I had not had a need to verify it.
my dealer told me the same thing...common mistake.

B&W hitch
Old 09-24-2022, 10:23 PM   #16

Quote:
The third tank is "because" you have a generator, not "for" a generator. The third tank is hooked into the entire system. It has it's own regulator, since it's on the opposite side of the RV, but the output of that regulator is split between the generator bay and the other two tank outputs. If you trace the lines by crawling under your RV, you will see that the line for tank 3 goes all the way across the rv to the drivers side where it "T's" into the output of the other 2 tanks.

That's how mine is. I know because I got rid of the 2 tanks on the drivers side and repurposed that bay with water filters and a softener. In the process, I removed the unneeded lines and capped them off, but there was a line installed from tank 3 as I previously described.
cmikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 02:48 PM   #17

Thanks for the reply.
Jayco Rider is offline   Reply With Quote