Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-13-2018, 09:41 PM   #1

265rks water tank question

The last time I used the 5er my water worked perfectly . It still does when hooked up to a city connection but when I fill the tank the water comes out of the two over flow tubes and completely drains itself . It didn't do this in Nov when used last . What could cause it to do this ? TIA J
jangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:50 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Bigmike1461
Make sure your low point drains are closed and the tank drain is closed. Maybe the valve is not working right... Just throwing it out there.....
2016 F350 lariat 4x4 6.2 gas 3:73
2018 Jayco 28.5RSTS HT
[SIGPIC]

Long Island,NY.
Bigmike1461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:56 AM   #3

It sounds more like the water tank valve is open. If the low point drains are open they would drain water on either city water connection or from FWT since the water lines would be under pressure either way.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:08 AM   #4

Are you saying the water drains completely while you drive or will sitting still?

Could it be the tank is actually full and the gauge is just not reading the water level correctly?

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmike1461 View Post
Make sure your low point drains are closed and the tank drain is closed. Maybe the valve is not working right... Just throwing it out there.....
I only have one drain and it is closed . The water comes out of the two overflow tubes .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post
Are you saying the water drains completely while you drive or will sitting still?

It drains as I fill it . This is strange as I have done nothing to it since Thanksgiving except put new vinyl floor down .

Could it be the tank is actually full and the gauge is just not reading the water level correctly?
No it is actually empty .

Thanks for all the reply's.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:46 AM   #6

I've heard of water tanks that draw down the water level to about 1/2 or 2/3, but not completely empty. The draw down I had on mine was caused by a siphon like process between the air intake and the water overflow. Jayco approved a fix for this that my dealer performed. So far that's working well.

But again, it never drained the tank (and shouldn't be able to since both these ports on on the upper side of the tank).
Old 03-15-2018, 10:50 AM   #7

Why would they put two overflow tubes on a fresh tank? Sounds like you're confusing two non fresh tank tubes. You sure you're not confusing the low point drains for fresh tank overflow.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
Why would they put two overflow tubes on a fresh tank? Sounds like you're confusing two non fresh tank tubes. You sure you're not confusing the low point drains for fresh tank overflow.
One tube is for air-intake (allow air out of tank as you fill and allow air into the tank as you drain) and the other is for water overflow.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:25 AM   #9

Never heard of that. Most I've seen have one tube for overflow. Whether it's water or air it escapes out the one tube. How would the air know which tube to go out?
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:32 PM   #10

Yes it's a mystery TO ME . I BOUGHT THIS WAY OVER BOOK CAUSE I THOUGHT IT WAS A DEAL NOW I'm IN IOT TOO MUCH TO QUIT . Ooops , sorry about the caps . I'm at a loss .
Old 03-16-2018, 09:20 AM   #11

I have a 2013 266 RKS TT and it also has 2 overflow tubes (over the rear axel); ONE FOR EACH OF THE TWO FW TANKS. That may be why you have two. I ended up putting shut-off valves on them, because I'd lose about 1/3 of my water. When water starts coming out of them, I close the valves to prevent this. (I reopen them after I take my first shower to prevent tank collapse). I, also, have two Low Point drains (one for each tank) and another pair of Low Point Drains (accessible from inside the bathroom vanity), which drain the water lines. Since the overflow/air intake tubes are mounted at the top of the tanks, I can't explain why they would completely drain the tanks.

All I can suggest is make sure all your low point drains are closed, your water heater plug is in place and your water pump is turned off. Check the low point drains for leaks while you're filling the FW tank(s).

Hope you get it figured out!
Old 03-16-2018, 09:29 AM   #12

Speaking of collapsed tanks...i wonder if somehow that's what the OP has. Would make sense as to why they won't hold water.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
I have a 2013 266 RKS TT and it also has 2 overflow tubes (over the rear axel); ONE FOR EACH OF THE TWO FW TANKS. That may be why you have two. I ended up putting shut-off valves on them, because I'd lose about 1/3 of my water. When water starts coming out of them, I close the valves to prevent this. (I reopen them after I take my first shower to prevent tank collapse). I, also, have two Low Point drains (one for each tank) and another pair of Low Point Drains (accessible from inside the bathroom vanity), which drain the water lines. Since the overflow/air intake tubes are mounted at the top of the tanks, I can't explain why they would completely drain the tanks.

All I can suggest is make sure all your low point drains are closed, your water heater plug is in place and your water pump is turned off. Check the low point drains for leaks while you're filling the FW tank(s).

Hope you get it figured out!
I'll check it out again , thx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
Speaking of collapsed tanks...i wonder if somehow that's what the OP has. Would make sense as to why they won't hold water.
I wish I had an air tank to blow it back see what happens .

You fish the White river any ?
Old 03-17-2018, 01:06 AM   #14

Okay here's a picture of the two hoses hose clamped together at the top left of the pic and the drain hose just hanging . I went and bought an air tank and blew back all the lines I could find and clamped the two (over flow) ?? hoses together . They were just hanging down and running all the water out . The water tank now holds water and pumps through the system again . I have no idea if this will last on my next fishing trip or not . Any comments ? TIA , J
Attached Thumbnails
jayco water hose.jpg  
Old 03-17-2018, 07:15 AM   #15

A collapsed tank makes sense as to why it wouldn't hold water. Perhaps the overflows were plugged with something (crud?/ice?) when you drained them last fall, so air couldn't get in to equalize the pressure. At any rate, glad they're holding water now.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:53 AM   #16

No ice in Tucson Az . Thx tho .
Old 03-17-2018, 09:22 AM   #17

The overflow lines can siphon out water. What happens is that the end of the overflow lines is below the surface of the water in the tanks. Once the overflow starts, the lines can continue to drain the water until the level of water in the tank is below the level of the attachment of the overflow lines.

These lines are vital to allow the tank to stay in one piece, both from the standpoint of overfilling the tank and essentially pressurizing it, and from the standpoint of admitting air so that the pump does not create a vacuum in the tank.

So the overflow lines are needed, but can cause the siphoning out of a lot of water. Many have added valves onto the low ends of the overflow lines to prevent this; the idea is to leave the valves open when filling the tanks, and as soon as the tanks are full and a bit of overflow starts to stop filling the tank and to close the valves to prevent the siphoning. As soon enough water has been used out of the tanks to prevent siphoning, the valves must be opened again.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 02:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangles View Post
You fish the White river any ?
Oh yea. Fly fish, no bait or spin cast. Its not as good as it used to be for wading due to "minimum flow" that was instituted a few years ago so a boat or one-man pontoon is usually required. Big trout in there!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0360.jpg  
Old 03-19-2018, 05:00 PM   #19

Here's the picture I was looking for:
Attached Thumbnails
B9316501589Z.1_20150306183259_000_GNJA571HD.1-0.jpg