Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-06-2017, 08:13 PM   #1

27.5 RKDS Discoveries

The second week of October, I took our 27.5 RKDS to Camping World of Tallahassee, FL. for some minor warranty repairs. One of the repairs was to the docking station. The door didn’t fit quite right but being plastic, I could “make” it fit. A little over a week and the service writer called me to tell me the FW was ready.

Seems as if they had to order a complete new docking station. So, that meant the water connections, water pump switch, service light switch, and coaxial connections had to be removed and reinstalled in the new docking station. The door now fits properly.

Yesterday, I was in the FW to check things out prior to an upcoming camping trip. I noticed that the water pump, when turned on at the inside panel, would pop the fuse in the fuse panel. I replaced the fuse and turned it on again only for the fuse to pop again.

Ok, now it’s time to roll up my sleeves and hunt for the problem. After 3 hours of work, I discovered that the service technician had hooked up the switch in the docking station incorrectly. Problem solved and back in business.
Which leads me to “other” observations. On my quest to find the problem with the water pump, tracing wires and such, I found a couple of important parts that I will share with other 27.5 RKDS owners.

In the cabinet above the TV is a removable panel. At first glance, it appears to house the wireless router that you can use via your smart phone or tablet to control the slides, awning, awning LED strip light, and levelers. You will need the LCI app for your personal device. There is another electronic “box” below the router that is connected to the wireless router. It is a connection point for the above parts of the FW and also the wireless interface for the little remote control.

Another discovery while snooping around is behind the battery disconnect panel. This panel is located in the basement on the left side of the FW. Open that pass-through door and immediately look left and there is the battery disconnect switch (I’m sure you know where that is) however, behind the panel that the switch is mounted on is the “brain box” of the wardrobe slide.
Hope this information is useful to anyone “looking” for this stuff.
2019 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax - SRW - 4WD - CC - LTZ - 8' Bed
Reese M5 20K
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 02:04 AM   #2

Thank you triplevbalp, will definitely store this info with the paperwork package that came with our FW. BTW, good job on your slide toppers, they look great!

2018 Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:22 PM   #3

No problem Ruth. Since the owners manual doesn't mention "things" like this, its important that we all know some of the FW's secrets

BTW, I'm sure you know where the water pump is ... but if you don't, I'll clue you in on its location. Open the pass-through door on the left side of the FW. Look inside to your right and you will see an access panel. Two screw hold the access panel ... remove the screws and look inside to the left. There you'll find the water pump and two valves that allow you to flush the water system or winterize the system.

One would have to be a Hindu mystic to be able to service the water pump without removing the whole section of paneling on that side. I removed mine the other day in order to trouble shoot my water pump issue I mentioned above. There are only 7 screws to remove in order to remove the entire panel.
Reese M5 20K
Old 11-08-2017, 11:03 AM   #4

Thanks for the information. I have a stupid question as I have the same trailer. I have the auto levelers and what if your battery is dead how can you raise or lower your FW. I have also tried to plug into my truck with no luck. I just had to put the battery charger on the batteries. Is there a manual way to crank up the levelers.

Thanks
Tim
cowboytm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboytm View Post
Thanks for the information. I have a stupid question as I have the same trailer. I have the auto levelers and what if your battery is dead how can you raise or lower your FW. I have also tried to plug into my truck with no luck. I just had to put the battery charger on the batteries. Is there a manual way to crank up the levelers.

Thanks
Tim
Yes cowboytm there is. On the back and front leveler motors, there is a rubber cover on the bottom of the motor ... remove the cover and using a 5/16" socket and ratchet, you can raise/lower the jack. Here's a link to the manual:

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...l_Rev_A_B2.pdf
Reese M5 20K
Old 11-08-2017, 04:25 PM   #6

Thanks, that is awesome. I figured there had to be away.
cowboytm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:41 PM   #7

This is what is so great about a forum. Those that know or find out, share what they have found. It would be nice if manufacturers gave more details in their manuals and diagrams. I know with all the models and various options, this is impossible, but you would think they could give more info to buyers. Also, triplebvalp, I did find the pump and our 27.5 is full of antifreeze for the winter. Also something we found, under the sink, to the right where the drain goes through the floor, we found a huge hole that would let in mice. We filled it with spray foam. We live in NH and mice are a problem.

2018 Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS
Old 11-08-2017, 05:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
... Also something we found, under the sink, to the right where the drain goes through the floor, we found a huge hole that would let in mice. We filled it with spray foam. We live in NH and mice are a problem.
Good info Ruth, I'll take a look tomorrow and plug the hole if there is one.
Reese M5 20K
Old 11-08-2017, 06:49 PM   #9

Another "discovery" I found awhile back ... on the underbelly of the FW, just past the steps, is a removable plastic panel. It's the same material the underbelly is made of. If I remember right, there were about 10 screws to remove. Removing the panel reveals the electric motor that pushes/pulls the main slide in/out. On the end of the electric motor is a hex nut ( can't remember the size ) that you can turn with a socket and ratchet to move the slide in/out ... just in case the motor fails or you loose power to the motor.
Reese M5 20K
Old 11-09-2017, 02:05 AM   #10

Almost forgot, we have a drawer under the fridge in our 27.5. Remove the drawer and there is another hole the critters can get in through, especially as we noticed the underbelly material was not sealed for about 18 inches in the rear kitchen side. Needles to say, it is now sealed... we also noticed when the large slide is pulled in, you can see daylight between the outside of the slide and the wall at the floor.. a little steel wool keeps the critters out here as well.

2018 Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS
Old 11-09-2017, 08:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Almost forgot, we have a drawer under the fridge in our 27.5.
That's interesting Ruth. We don't have a drawer under our fridge ... ours has a removable louvered panel with the heater behind the panel.
Reese M5 20K
Old 11-09-2017, 08:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplebvalp View Post
That's interesting Ruth. We don't have a drawer under our fridge ... ours has a removable louvered panel with the heater behind the panel.

Our 27.5 is a 2018. That was one of the changes from 2017. Our furnace is now under the water heater which is under the pantry closet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS
Old 11-09-2017, 11:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Our 27.5 is a 2018. That was one of the changes from 2017. Our furnace is now under the water heater which is under the pantry closet.

Gotcha. When looking at the Jayco web site, I think Jayco has discontinued the 27.5RKDS. It says "Dealer Stock Only" so that makes me think that they are not making them any longer.
Reese M5 20K
Old 11-09-2017, 12:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplebvalp View Post
Gotcha. When looking at the Jayco web site, I think Jayco has discontinued the 27.5RKDS. It says "Dealer Stock Only" so that makes me think that they are not making them any longer.

I got that impression as well. I believe they are coming out with another model, a 30.5, this summer. If you search the forum for 2018 eagle ht changes, that is where I saw it.

2018 Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS