Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-09-2019, 02:22 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burchie70 View Post
Triplebvalp I just received an email from Jayco service stating that my RV is still under a 2 year warranty by 27 days so they will not release any schematics until it’s out of warranty lol wtf. Wonder if I should start a new thread to see if anyone has schematics on a 2017 ? Unbelievable

Wow, that's just stupid. I have received several schematics from Jayco while in warranty but I don't have that particular schematic. Well, you could drill a small exploratory hole to locate the wood.

When I installed my two toppers (only have two slides, both on the utility side of the FW), I noticed that the self tapping screws didn't "bite" into anything, other than the fiberglass, on the larger slide. I thought the 6 screws per flange bracket would be ok … I was wrong. A few weeks later, while checking out the FW before a trip, one flange had pulled out of the fiberglass leaving the topper angled about 30 degrees :-(

So, I had a friend come over to help remove the topper. From that point, I removed the other flange, that was still attached ( barely ) and started exploring through the holes that the self tapping screws had made. Using a small stiff wire that I put a curve in, I poked it through the holes and probed up and down. Found wood about 1/4" up from the original holes.

Re-drilled both brackets and reinstalled using the same self tapping screws. All is well now and has been for quite a long time.
2019 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax - SRW - 4WD - CC - LTZ - 8' Bed
Reese M5 20K
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:21 PM   #22

Yeah I would rather do it once and have it right so I don’t lose the toppers while traveling. I still have a week before they arrive so I can do some research. I’ll keep you updated
Thanks again
Burchie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:23 AM   #23

Quote:
Triplebvalp I just received an email from Jayco service stating that my RV is still under a 2 year warranty by 27 days so they will not release any schematics until it’s out of warranty lol wtf. Wonder if I should start a new thread to see if anyone has schematics on a 2017 ? Unbelievable

Could you use a stud finder on it?
Jayco 19XUD 2016 (traded-in)
Tundra 2014 (traded-in)
Dargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:38 AM   #24

I was wondering that myself Dargo. Maybe from the inside it would work. I’ll look at it later
Old 05-10-2019, 01:15 PM   #25

Well I tried a stud finder on the interior walls and it definitely picks up voids and where the studs are. The top inside corners on all three slides are solid woods 4” down from top and 4” out from the edge on the interior of the slide. That’s according to the stud finder. The stud finder seems to work on the outside wall of the slide also. When I get time I’ll take some measurements to check the difference between the inside top of slide and the outside top. Looks to be around 2”.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:56 PM   #26

You're lucky Burchie70, I have had less than desirable results with my stud finder and the FW. Generally, it only lights up when it is pointed at me. LOL
Reese M5 20K
Old 05-10-2019, 03:31 PM   #27

Oh boy lol
Old 05-11-2019, 11:47 AM   #28

Quote:
Well I tried a stud finder on the interior walls and it definitely picks up voids and where the studs are. The top inside corners on all three slides are solid woods 4” down from top and 4” out from the edge on the interior of the slide. That’s according to the stud finder. The stud finder seems to work on the outside wall of the slide also. When I get time I’ll take some measurements to check the difference between the inside top of slide and the outside top. Looks to be around 2”.

Cool good to know. Seems like it worked out.
Jayco 19XUD 2016 (traded-in)
Tundra 2014 (traded-in)
Dargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:10 AM   #29

I received one of my slide out awnings and will try to install it this week if the weather is decent. One other thing I’m wondering is my 5th wheel has factory drip rails across each slide out and they are about 1 inch above the top of the flange when the slide out is closed. If I go 3” above that and place the awning rail it shouldn’t hit the drip rail. Is this how you guys installed yours ?
Thanks for the help
Old 05-12-2019, 10:57 AM   #30

Quote:
If I go 3” above that and place the awning rail it shouldn’t hit the drip rail. Is this how you guys installed yours ?
Thanks for the help
Burchie70, I went 2-1/2" above the drip rail … I just went out and measured it :-) I also mounted the rail "up" so the fabric slides in on top, if that makes sense.

Side note: some folks remove the drip rail and attach the fabric rail in its place. I have also read that the fabric should have the grove for the fabric down … read that on here somewhere. Seems I remember seeing a video of an install where the fabric rail groove was up so, I don't think it really matters.

Here's a pic for you … holding on to the ladder and taking a picture at the same time is fun:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0248.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	49650
Reese M5 20K
Old 05-12-2019, 11:13 AM   #31

I appreciate you doing that, thank you. I saw the same post about whether the rail should be fabric side up or on the bottom. One person said if it’s up water can sit in the rail where the fabric is located and someone else said it should be up so you can’t see the screws.
Thanks again
Old 05-12-2019, 11:18 AM   #32

Quote:
I saw the same post about whether the rail should be fabric side up or on the bottom. One person said if it’s up water can sit in the rail
Thanks again

I can visualize that happening if you don't use butyl tape behind it. The 1" tape "squeezes" out quite a bit and would act as a rain "barrier". If you think it would be a problem, once screwed down, trim the excess butyl tape from the top and apply caulk along the top edge.
Reese M5 20K
Old 05-12-2019, 11:36 AM   #33

I know what your saying. It looks a lot nicer without seeing the screws. Thanks again
Old 05-15-2019, 07:36 PM   #34

I ended up having my wife email Jayco and told them she bought our 5th wheel used and wanted to put slide out awnings on and asked for the framing schematics. They ended up sending the schematics for all 3 slides and both sides of the RV. So I shouldn’t have any problems finding anchor points now