Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2017, 11:36 AM   #1

27.5 RLTS ordered!

Well, after first thinking of buying a TT and rethinking that decision that I just couldn't see myself going back to a TT, my wife and I sat down yesterday and ordered a 2017 27.5 RLTS. We liked the layout but when we walked around the lot at the new one on display I almost changed my mind. The a/c seemed noisier than others I had listened to in the Jayco line. Also the switch panel had a light on it that said the pump was running, and sure enough it was running and you could not shut it off without turning off the main battery switch. So, part of the noise we were hearing was the pump pumping away with no water in the system. I hope they fix that for the person who buys that one. Also when I looked under the rv, the cover on the bottom was pushed in like it had run over something, don't know if anything under that was damaged or not. Boy QC or delivery people were a bit off on that one.
Anyway, now we wait for 6 to 8 to whatever weeks until the new rig gets built and shipped to Florida. By then it should be so hot we will wait for fall to go camping. I plan to buy a cover for the summer to help keep it clean for one, but also to preserve the decals and awning.
I am excited that we are going to get a new rig, a bit concerned about the quality of the build, and a bit sorry to see my Cedar Creek go after 9 years of happy camping. It was just getting old and 37 ft was more that I wanted to handle anymore.
Like to hear from other 27.5RLTS owners and hear how they did with their 5'ver, and whether they had any comments plus and minus.
Thanks, Barry
bogadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:54 AM   #2

Congrats!!!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:58 AM   #3

Congratulations!

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:55 PM   #4

Congrats - we ordered 27.5RLTS back in September, and took possession in November also here in Tampa, and love it. Great floor plan, and we added a second A/C unit to the bedroom... no major issues with the quality of the build, yet to take it in for service, and have 2 trips to the Georgia mountains, and 4 local Florida trips under our belt!

If this is your first 5th wheel with a short bed truck, my primary suggestion is to not get the Reese manual sliding hitch the dealer recommended for us. We are already switching to a Pullrite Auto slide super glide.

Enjoy it when it arrives..

Tom
5w/wdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:28 PM   #5

Congrats! The wife and I like that floor plan also.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:34 PM   #6

Congrats on the new 5er. I'm sure you are going to enjoy it. Happy Camping

2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Dually 6.7L HO Turbo Diesel with Aisin Tranny
50 Gal. Transfer Flow Auxiliary Tank
2014 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins (Sold)
2017 Pinnacle 36KPTS
Wampuscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:30 AM   #7

We have a 2015 model and we love it. We live in the north so a second A/C was not necessary. We did have some build problems but our dealer has been great. We had a Reese Revolution installed at the factory and love it. It takes care of the slider hitch.

Good Luck
rbintheup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:32 AM   #8

We purchased from RVOne in Tampa, and because they order from the factory a certain way, we had to order one ourselves. I like the option of the 50Amp so I don't have to run outside and reset the breaker if I forget to turn off the electric water heater and use the microwave, or whatever. I was told they only order the 30 Amp, but my way of thinking the 50 Amp is a better choice than adding a Reese Revolution hitch if you want to keep the costs down. You can add a hitch anytime but you can't just add a 50 amp service as easily, just my opinion!
I also added the Fire Place even though it might not get much use here in Florida, but if we head back up north for a visit like we did last April, it was cold, and the fireplace kept it nice inside without the confounded blast furnace running. I also chose the 16 inch Goodyears, though I don't know what Goodyear tire it might come with or if it is any good. My Cedar Creek has the Michelin UPS RIB tires on it and are highly recommended. I included the 15K A/C as well as the second bedroom A/C, mostly for the Florida heat. With having a dog along I just thought having a backup a/c was a good choice, as we had to cut a vacation short due to the loss of our only a/c on our other RV. The only other options we got were the electric stabilizer's and the frameless tinted windows.
5W/wdogs, I do not have a short bed so no slider hitch needed. As a matter of fact the hitches that the 4 RV's on the lot had were the Reese and the MorRyde. Neither of those I wanted and chose a standard pin box as I see no advantage over what I have right now. As I said before, if in the future I wanted to sell the rv and someone with a short bed truck wanted it, they could just change out the pin box to one of their choosing.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogadel View Post
I am excited that we are going to get a new rig.
I would be too, Congrats. It's going to be a looooong 6-8 weeks.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:37 AM   #10

Congrats!
2020 Ford Super Duty F-350 DRW King Ranch FX4
SenoiaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:23 PM   #11

Quote:
I am excited that we are going to get a new rig, a bit concerned about the quality of the build, and a bit sorry to see my Cedar Creek go after 9 years of happy camping. It was just getting old and 37 ft was more that I wanted to handle anymore.

Like to hear from other 27.5RLTS owners and hear how they did with their 5'ver, and whether they had any comments plus and minus.
Thanks, Barry
We bought a new 27.5 RLTS off the lot three weeks ago, trading in a 35' 2007 Eagle 291RLTS we owned for the past six years. We have only had the opportunity for one short trip, but we really like it so far - and I think I will really enjoy having less trailer to tow.

I've identified three problems with it, two from the factory and one from the dealership. Your QC concerns aren't isolated - they failed to install a section of wheel well molding around one of the wheel wells. Also, one of the heavy plastic strips that run beneath the large slide came loose and peeled back as the slide was retracted, doing some slight damage to the slide seal. Parts are on order to fix both issues. As to the dealership problem, when they de-winterized they failed to move the valves back to the normal setting so that when we turned on the pump we were pumping air. Minor, but irritating.

Everything else seems to be reasonably well constructed, although I did find a bundle of wires running through a roughly cut opening in a metal firewall near the battery compartment, causing concerns about frayed wiring after bouncing down the road for a couple of years. I cut a short length of 1 1/2' PVC pipe, split it so I could feed in the wires, and inserted it into the hole to prevent contact with the rough metal edge. Preventative maintenance...

Ours has the 50 amp service, two AC's (we live in TX), the fireplace (we do some cool weather camping in NM and CO), 16" Maxxis tires and the auto-leveling system .

We'd added a second AC to our old 5th wheel and flipped the axles to get to proper tow height for my truck, ending up with a trailer height of 13' 2" which led to clearance concerns in far too many parks. The new trailer is under that by a foot, four feet shorter in length and weighs 1,800 pounds less when loaded for the road - all good.

Of course the new rig is far nicer than the 10 year old one we traded. It does have one small difference in configuration the wife is having trouble getting accustomed to. The bedroom floor on the old 5th wheel was completely flat. This bedroom has a small step down near the foot of each side of the bed. The wife has failed to remember the step on a couple of occasions and made considerable noise stumbling to catch herself. Of course I didn't laugh (out loud).

Hope your wait for your new trailer goes quickly and that you enjoy it as much as I believe we will enjoy ours.
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 03:00 PM   #12

We our out on our first 4 nighter trip in the our new 27.5 rlts - Love it!! We ordered in mid January and was told prob the first of April. It arrive on March 3rd, but the dealer took their sweet time to get our demo day scheuled. We took delivery from Tampa dealer on March 23rd.

We have the upgraded counter tops, auto-leveling system (awesome), 2nd AC, 16" goodyear tires, slide toppers ordered through Jayco, and the Reese Revolution hitch receiver.

We traveled about 200 miles to our destination this weekend and no issues while traveling. We have found a few flaws that need to be fixed, but nothing critical.

Can't wait for more trips!! Good luck and congrats!!
Old 04-02-2017, 06:25 PM   #13

Good choice! We have the same floor plan in the 2014 model and love it. Heading west in about a month for a 10k trip.
2015 F250 Super duty 6.2L full trailering pkg.
Loris, South Carolina.
rryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:40 PM   #14

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the comments about the 27.5 RLTS, It is good info and I will be keeping track of the items that I might need to look at during the initial walk through as well as the demo.

This was a tough decision for us as we are not getting any younger. We originally considered briefly buying a Travel Trailer but the size was close to the size of the 27.5 fifth wheel. As with anything there is pluses and minuses but for me the plus was the easier hookup with the fifth wheel.
The plus for the TT was a lower roof height for cleaning purposes, but the negative was the spring bars and hooking up the hitch.

I know this 27.5RLTS does not have all the creature comforts that my old Cedar Creek had, as well as a ton of storage space. This is my biggest concern as where do we put things? It's like when we moved from our home in Delaware, to Florida, we went from a 2 story with a basement to one floor and no place to put stuff. So, we have learned to adapt and do with less. So if I could do with less at home I am sure we will manage to do with less on the road. It will be an adjustment in thinking!
Who said you couldn't teach an OLD DOG new tricks?
Old 09-02-2017, 06:51 AM   #15

We have a new 27.5 at the dealer being prepped for pickup next week. We ordered it with the MOR/ryde® "RPB" Rubber Pin Box. But now we think we want the revolutionary pin box so we don't have to deal with a heavy slider (which will have to come out for other truck uses). We have a 2017 F250 with tow pkg and 5W prep. Gas. What hitch do you 27.5 owners use and recommend?
jonesykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:39 AM   #16

I installed the Sidewinder/Revolution hitch on our 250 for peace of mind on turning, since we have the short bed.Got the Reese adapter for the truck pucks and a 16k Pro hitch. I figured out how to get it on and off the truck fairly easy. Been doing fine, have about 12k on the trailer now. Made a trip out West, all the way to the Pacific this summer. Came back across the Rockies on I-70. Truck did fine. Didn't break any speed records pulling up to the Eisenhower Tunnel, but got there!
2015 F250 Super duty 6.2L full trailering pkg.
Loris, South Carolina.
rryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:25 AM   #17

We have a short-bed (see signature line) with a Reese 16K hitch and slider. I've never used the slider and doubt I ever will as I can turn more than 60 degrees with no danger of the trailer hitting the back of the truck cab.

If I were you I'd save myself some money and go with what you have.
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:21 AM   #18

Bingo on the slider. No need. I have 2016 27.5 tried tight turns in huge parking lot and never came close to hitting my cab. I have a 2015 Silverado crew cab and short bed.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesykay View Post
We have a new 27.5 at the dealer being prepped for pickup next week. We ordered it with the MOR/ryde® "RPB" Rubber Pin Box. But now we think we want the revolutionary pin box so we don't have to deal with a heavy slider (which will have to come out for other truck uses). We have a 2017 F250 with tow pkg and 5W prep. Gas. What hitch do you 27.5 owners use and recommend?
Our 2017 27.5 has the revolution pin, 16" tires and a Reese Titan 20k. hitch. If you choose the Reese make sure you remove the lube plate ! You may have a problem with leveling your 5er- I think these new Fords sit high.
Archie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:43 AM   #20

Quote:
Well, after first thinking of buying a TT and rethinking that decision that I just couldn't see myself going back to a TT, my wife and I sat down yesterday and ordered a 2017 27.5 RLTS. We liked the layout but when we walked around the lot at the new one on display I almost changed my mind. The a/c seemed noisier than others I had listened to in the Jayco line. Also the switch panel had a light on it that said the pump was running, and sure enough it was running and you could not shut it off without turning off the main battery switch. So, part of the noise we were hearing was the pump pumping away with no water in the system. I hope they fix that for the person who buys that one. Also when I looked under the rv, the cover on the bottom was pushed in like it had run over something, don't know if anything under that was damaged or not. Boy QC or delivery people were a bit off on that one.
Anyway, now we wait for 6 to 8 to whatever weeks until the new rig gets built and shipped to Florida. By then it should be so hot we will wait for fall to go camping. I plan to buy a cover for the summer to help keep it clean for one, but also to preserve the decals and awning.
Thanks, Barry
We have a 2017 27.5 RLTS, 16" Maxxis tires, Revolution pin, 50 amp, (2) 15K air- overall very happy with coach. That being said I have replaced the nylon bushings in the suspension system with the MoRyde heavy duty shackle kit and moved the springs to the lower hangar hole ( trying to level coach) Now I'm in the process of replacing the Chinese wheel bearings and seals with the Timken - so far found a leaking seal with only 3500 miles. Two more wheels to go.
Archie is offline   Reply With Quote