Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-04-2018, 09:00 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
If your wondering the F350 actually gets better gas mileage than the F150 did. Kinda hard for me to wrap my head around. If definitely blows away the 150 with towing capability (rock solid platform) and we went from 8MPG towing in the F150 to 12MPG towing in the F350.
I had that experience too. The Expedition delivered abt 9mpg towing the 4500# HTT and the 350 will give us 12mpg towing the 12,000# 5th. I love my diesel!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:39 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Ton Heavy View Post
Excellent post Jim, thanks.
Would you post the specs on the F150 you used to own? Was an HDPP? Hitch type? I’ve no doubt the diesel gets better mileage towing, it’s what they excel at.
I do know some folks are towing bigger 5ths with the HDPP F150, one couple towing a 31’ 20,000 miles!
Do you suppose a part of the problem would be the Rockwoods ultra light pin?
Thanks!

I had a 2017 3.5 Eco 4X4 CC SB with Max Payload Package. 7000 MVW 3800 axles 1620 Payload. I didnt know about the HDPP at the time of purchase (salesman confirmed I had the best weight I could get) and you IMO have the heaviest weight capability F150 you can buy. I dont know if that extra would have kept me in better shape.

First time I CAT scaled I was over MVW by 400lbs. Over rear axle weight by 200lbs and over Payload by 400lbs. I know thats not a lot but it bothered me being over and was also a potential liability if something bad happens. Too old with too much to loose at this point to take chances.

I used a Reese Titan 30866 5th wheel hitch with the Reese custom rails and brackets. I also had on the Rockwood a Revolution Pin Box which I did use since I had the real short bed in the F150.

I do feel the Rockwoods light pin weight was a big part of the problem but we bought it beause of the limit of the F150 payload. I have extensive towing experience (boats, trailers, semis) and it towed like a regular pull behind trailer with a rhythmic sway with any disturbance as you drove and eye watering snap and sway with bow wave upsets passing me on the left side.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote