Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-24-2018, 07:24 PM   #1

27.5 RLTS Real World pin weights?

Hello all,
About to buy my first RV, a new 27.5 RLTS if all falls into place. Looked at many, and this is the very biggest I can go. The other one I would consider is the 24.5 RLTS from Jayco, and the 23' Reflection. But the Jayco has most of my box's checked.

I will be at the top of my payload on my F-150 HDPP (Payload is almost 2500lbs, more than a diesel F-250), but want to keep it under.

Does anyone have real world pin weights of the 27 RLTS packed moderatly for a trip?

Thanks, look forward to many discussions!

-Peter.
Half Ton Heavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:28 PM   #2

Iirc mine is pushing close to 2k about 1/2 tank of water other tanks empty
barryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryg View Post
Iirc mine is pushing close to 2k about 1/2 tank of water other tanks empty
Dang! Is the water tank up near the front? Dry pin weight is supposedly around 1550 or so?
Old 10-25-2018, 08:25 AM   #4

Around 25% of the 5th’s GVW will be on the pin. Out 5th is 24-ish%. Just about all of the pin weight winds up on the rear axle. Compare the Rear GAWR to the drive axle weight to get an idea of how much weight you can place on the rear axle. A CAT Scale is a great place to get the actual weights.
I haven’t said this in a while, but: the CAT Scale is your friend.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:35 AM   #5

Our 28.5 RSTS weighs right around 9800 lbs moderately loaded with a pin weight of around 1900 lbs. I have the actual weights but they aren’t handy at the moment. Our fresh water holding tank is to the rear. We have never carried any water but it shouldn’t add to a ur pin weight.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:33 PM   #6

I have the 2015 version of the 27.5RLTS; which is several hundred pounds lighter than than current version; according to the Jayco web site.

My pin weight, based on Cat Scales readings, is 1750lbs. But, again this is for lot lighter version of 5th wheel than the current year version.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:27 PM   #7

Hmmm.
I may have to rethink this and find a 24.5. I kinda like the overall length for state parks etc anyway...
I really want it 2000 or less INCLUDING the hitch, which will likely be an Anderson and B&W turnover ball. So 1900 maybe? Rear axle is rated 4800, should not be an issue. Just the payload total has to come in under 2500 including me, DW, dog, etc.
But man, I sure do really like that 27.5!
Old 10-25-2018, 01:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nOZ View Post
Our 28.5 RSTS weighs right around 9800 lbs moderately loaded with a pin weight of around 1900 lbs. I have the actual weights but they aren’t handy at the moment. Our fresh water holding tank is to the rear. We have never carried any water but it shouldn’t add to a ur pin weight.
Good to know, I have left over total combined weight, if I have to bring “penalty water” to reduce pin weight there might be that....... Trip out might be an issue as it transfers foward though. ( unless grey is behind axles also)
Old 10-25-2018, 03:25 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Ton Heavy View Post
snip...... Does anyone have real world pin weights of the 27 RLTS packed moderatly for a trip? Thanks, look forward to many discussions! -Peter.
May want to check here:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...t-57188-4.html

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:40 AM   #10

Sorry it took so long to get back but it appears your question has been answered about where the tanks are. On the 27 it goes black, grey, grey, water. Water is more less over the axles. so as previously mentioned carrying water shouldn't add much if any weight to the pin.

Another thing to remember is the hitch. I know my B&W weighs in the neighborhood of 175lbs. Only thing I don't like about it getting it in and out and then moving it to wherever it is going to sit at the house. You might be able to save some good weight on that with the Anderson Ultimate hitch. Many feel it is the best thing since sliced bread others not so much you would have to draw your own conclusions but that thing only weighs around 40lbs.

Pretty much anything you put in the forward storage compartments is going to add pin weight I personally think it is along 95% of that weight is going to be pin weight.

I am by no means one of the RV weight police I think that if you know your truck and you use good sound judgement if one of the weights is over a bit not necessarily a big deal. Ie you use axle weights instead of payload capacity. 200lbs over one of the capacities is one thing 500-1000lbs over one of the capacities is something else for me at least. As you know you are not the only one on the road if something dramatic happens you can/could impact others quite negatively.
barryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryg View Post
Sorry it took so long to get back but it appears your question has been answered about where the tanks are. On the 27 it goes black, grey, grey, water. Water is more less over the axles. so as previously mentioned carrying water shouldn't add much if any weight to the pin.

Another thing to remember is the hitch. I know my B&W weighs in the neighborhood of 175lbs. Only thing I don't like about it getting it in and out and then moving it to wherever it is going to sit at the house. You might be able to save some good weight on that with the Anderson Ultimate hitch. Many feel it is the best thing since sliced bread others not so much you would have to draw your own conclusions but that thing only weighs around 40lbs.

Pretty much anything you put in the forward storage compartments is going to add pin weight I personally think it is along 95% of that weight is going to be pin weight.

I am by no means one of the RV weight police I think that if you know your truck and you use good sound judgement if one of the weights is over a bit not necessarily a big deal. Ie you use axle weights instead of payload capacity. 200lbs over one of the capacities is one thing 500-1000lbs over one of the capacities is something else for me at least. As you know you are not the only one on the road if something dramatic happens you can/could impact others quite negatively.
Very good to know, thanks. So if I am boondocking and load up with water, it should not add up on the pin for the most (or any) part as it gets turned into gray or black.

I fly for a living and have always been sensitive to “keeping the machine inside the envelope “, and consequently would be careful not to exceed limits. Or, as you say, do it gently maybe.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Ton Heavy View Post
Very good to know, thanks. So if I am boondocking and load up with water, it should not add up on the pin for the most (or any) part as it gets turned into gray or black.

I fly for a living and have always been sensitive to “keeping the machine inside the envelope “, and consequently would be careful not to exceed limits. Or, as you say, do it gently maybe.
I think you'll be good. Same profession here, so I consider these "limitations" as well. I've got a slightly lighter trailer, and a bit less payload at 2300 and change. I'm maxed out to a little over on payload with full water, and family/stuff for a week long trip. Being a 3/4 ton, I don't sweat it(gently over limits). You've got more payload, so I think you'll be good. Even with the heavier trailer, I'm sure you'll be good. Maybe get some LT tires if they're not already installed and call it good.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 04:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
I think you'll be good. Same profession here, so I consider these "limitations" as well. I've got a slightly lighter trailer, and a bit less payload at 2300 and change. I'm maxed out to a little over on payload with full water, and family/stuff for a week long trip. Being a 3/4 ton, I don't sweat it(gently over limits). You've got more payload, so I think you'll be good. Even with the heavier trailer, I'm sure you'll be good. Maybe get some LT tires if they're not already installed and call it good.
The truck came with LT tires, the only F150 to do so. It seems to me the HDPP F150 is one of the rv’ing secrets. Even dealers don’t know what it is, I know because I turned the country upside down finding one!

Thanks, for the inspiration, a local dealer where I work ( 130 miles from home) has the 24.5 on the lot, so I will check that out next week. If I really like it, I’ll drag my wife up here to check it out if this dealer is willing to make the same sort of deal. The 27.5 has an msrp of just under 52k, sell for 35. Prolly not a super deal, but not a bad one either.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:02 AM   #14

If you consider a slightly loved one you can save alot of money. Plus the original owner worked all the bugs out in advance. I would recommend if going that route to call the manufacturer before purchase with the vin to see what was worked on under warranty. ;-)
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 05:07 PM   #15

The pin weight on my 29.5 FBDS is 2090lb with all my stuff. The total weight of the trailer is 10,600lb that is real close to 20% of the total weight. A good rule of thumb for pin weight is 20% to 25% of the total weight. Don't tow overloaded. You want to be relaxed and enjoy the trip not worried about some issue from overload. I pulled over 6500 miles last year and about 3000 this year.
1998 HitchHiker II 31 RLBG (Sold 2012)
2002 Ford F350 7.3L Turbo, Crew Cab, DRW, 4:10 (Mint, Garage Queen)
TnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:29 PM   #16

27.5 RLTS Real World pin weights?

I really blew it in my choice of truck, I thought the F150 with the HDPP would cut it. It will, but I have to be very careful on my trailer selection. I am thinking the 24.5 will have to be it, or the 25.5 REOK. Max.
I have 2452 payload.
540 lbs are wife, dog and myself.
200 lbs for hitch, unless I do an Andersen AUH, 100 for that with a flipover ball. However, I like the MorRide orbital, and that will not work with AUH. Has to be a conventional hitch - which I pretty much hate on. Heavy , and the rails will screw up my nice bed with the bed rug, yada yada.

That leaves 1712 for a pin weight without so much as a cracker in the cab.

I knew more than everybody else, who almost universally said "Buy a 350".

The 25.5 REOK (digging the outside kitchen!) has a pin below 1300, loaded for camp will likely just slide in and be OK.

So, likely the REOK or 24.5 CKTS orrrrr.......... a 26' travel trailer of some sort. Unfortunately, Jayco does not make a 26' comparable TT to the Eagle HT line. Maybe Grand Design if I have to go that route. Good news is I am in no hurry.

I've only owned the HDPP for 2 months, and in that time it has so far spent 15 days in the shop, and the dealer still does not know what is wrong with it. Has to go in a 3rd time, and they want it for another week. I considered trading for a diesel 350 they have on the lot, brand new, stickers for 61K. My 150 stikered for 54K. They want my truck + 23K to swing the deal. Yeah, no. So I am stuck with my HDPP truck.

The reality is, I like the 25.5 REOK. and it is less than 30', which I need for the state parks around here. So there's that.

Found a 24.5 CKTS near work that is pretty nice, with the 4 point auto level, but 15" tires (really want 16"), counter tops, for 35K.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:18 PM   #17

In the trailer specks it gives pin weight. Is this loaded or empty?
KWDAILYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWDAILYD View Post
In the trailer specks it gives pin weight. Is this loaded or empty?

Empty, no propane or battery.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:40 AM   #19

Our story is identical to yours but you havent made the second mistake that we made yet which is settleing for a 5th wheel that you really dont want due to weight considerations.

I Bought a 2017 F150 last November. Then found out what it couldnt pull which was almost every 5th wheel out there. Bought the smallest lightest one we could find at about 8500 pounds (Rockwood 28') and towing it we were all over the road.

It was either the weight of the truck wasnt sufficient to pull the 5er or Rockwood built it with the weight too far rearward. Every time a Prevost passed us at 80 (we were doing 65 in the right lane) it was game on and we were all over the road. The first time it happened I literally thought we snapped a axle it was so violent. Not a good pulling combination and the Rockwood was advertised as a 1100 pin weight.

I paid 54K for the F150 and they gave me 42K on trade in with 6000 miles 5 months later. So I basically took a 12K loss but it was such an unsafe combination it was worth it to trade. We ended up getting a 2018 F350 Diesel for 62K.

We settled for the Rockwood but really wanted a Jayco around a 27.5. We found a 2017 28.5 at Lazy Days in Tampa. Wife fell in love with it and we traded our Rockwood in. All this with the truck and trailer transpired in 8 days total time and I ended up loosing 18K in the swap out. Was a long 2 weeks setting everything up and a painful learning curve.

If your wondering the F350 actually gets better gas mileage than the F150 did. Kinda hard for me to wrap my head around. If definitely blows away the 150 with towing capability (rock solid platform) and we went from 8MPG towing in the F150 to 12MPG towing in the F350.

If your financially able to I would make the swap and not settle. We loved our F150 but in the end it wasnt a good choice for pulling a 5th wheel and we plan on going all over the US in retirement and needed something as safe as possible. Best of luck in your search.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
Our story is identical to yours but you havent made the second mistake that we made yet which is settleing for a 5th wheel that you really dont want due to weight considerations.

I Bought a 2017 F150 last November. Then found out what it couldnt pull which was almost every 5th wheel out there. Bought the smallest lightest one we could find at about 8500 pounds (Rockwood 28') and towing it we were all over the road.

It was either the weight of the truck wasnt sufficient to pull the 5er or Rockwood built it with the weight too far rearward. Every time a Prevost passed us at 80 (we were doing 65 in the right lane) it was game on and we were all over the road. The first time it happened I literally thought we snapped a axle it was so violent. Not a good pulling combination and the Rockwood was advertised as a 1100 pin weight.

I paid 54K for the F150 and they gave me 42K on trade in with 6000 miles 5 months later. So I basically took a 12K loss but it was such an unsafe combination it was worth it to trade. We ended up getting a 2018 F350 Diesel for 62K.

We settled for the Rockwood but really wanted a Jayco around a 27.5. We found a 2017 28.5 at Lazy Days in Tampa. Wife fell in love with it and we traded our Rockwood in. All this with the truck and trailer transpired in 8 days total time and I ended up loosing 18K in the swap out. Was a long 2 weeks setting everything up and a painful learning curve.

If your wondering the F350 actually gets better gas mileage than the F150 did. Kinda hard for me to wrap my head around. If definitely blows away the 150 with towing capability (rock solid platform) and we went from 8MPG towing in the F150 to 12MPG towing in the F350.

If your financially able to I would make the swap and not settle. We loved our F150 but in the end it wasnt a good choice for pulling a 5th wheel and we plan on going all over the US in retirement and needed something as safe as possible. Best of luck in your search.
Excellent post Jim, thanks.
Would you post the specs on the F150 you used to own? Was an HDPP? Hitch type? I’ve no doubt the diesel gets better mileage towing, it’s what they excel at.
I do know some folks are towing bigger 5ths with the HDPP F150, one couple towing a 31’ 20,000 miles!
Do you suppose a part of the problem would be the Rockwoods ultra light pin?
Thanks!