Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2017, 12:49 PM   #1

27.5 rlts with Norcold fridge

Im still getting used to the new Jayco 27.5 rlts, one of the biggest changes is with the Norcold re fridge. I have had Dometics in all of my previous rv's. This refrigerator has a bottom opening and a top opening on the side slide out wall. My Question then, do I need to get a fan to make this refrigerator work better or not. I remember reading somewhere that this type of refrigerator needs help to pull air out and cool air in.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as I still haven't gone out with the new rig yet. What have others with similar setups experienced with this type of refrigerator? The other thing I noticed is there is no temperature indicator on this one. What type of thermometer has anyone used to tell you that it is in fact cooling? I liked my Dometic because it had a nice LED indicator that said the temp of the fridge.
2014 F350 SD Lariat, 4X2, Ext.Cab 8'Bed, 6.2Ltr gas, 4:30 Rear ratio
2008 Cedar Creek Fifth Wheel 34TSA, 37' (traded in)
2017 Jayco Eagle HT Fifth Wheel 27.5 RLTS
bogadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:06 PM   #2

There is a rv fridge cooling fan on amazon with a thermostat that mounts either on the back blowing on the condenser or you can mount at top of vent on roof under the cap.
I have one on ours but haven't had it on there long enough to see the really hot days yet if it makes a difference. We have camped in 100+ temps with no problems. I had it out replacing refer unit due to a leak & said what the heck.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogadel View Post
My Question then, do I need to get a fan to make this refrigerator work better or not.
Doesn't work any different than a DOMETIC, but adding a fan is always a good idea.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:50 PM   #4

It's all about air flow to dissipate heat from the cooling unit behind the refrigerator. In my last trailer I installed fans behind the upper vent but on this one I thought I'd give natural ventilation a shot first

The lower vent is OK, but the upper vent is really a poor design when it comes to encouraging air flow. Any warm air from below that makes it out the vent appears to be more accidental than planned.

To improve air flow I used a significant part of a roll of aluminum duct (not "duck") tape to create a deflector behind the upper vent, funneling warm air from below to the vent openings. We've used the fridge on a number of occasions, including temps in the 90's, and so far it seems to be working well.
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:12 AM   #5

Refrig. Sensor Kit

Bought this on Amazon. Works great!
Attached Thumbnails
510mOY9AjhL._SL1000_.jpg  
FireBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogadel View Post
Im still getting used to the new Jayco 27.5 rlts, one of the biggest changes is with the Norcold re fridge. I have had Dometics in all of my previous rv's. This refrigerator has a bottom opening and a top opening on the side slide out wall. My Question then, do I need to get a fan to make this refrigerator work better or not. I remember reading somewhere that this type of refrigerator needs help to pull air out and cool air in.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as I still haven't gone out with the new rig yet. What have others with similar setups experienced with this type of refrigerator? The other thing I noticed is there is no temperature indicator on this one. What type of thermometer has anyone used to tell you that it is in fact cooling? I liked my Dometic because it had a nice LED indicator that said the temp of the fridge.
See my entry "FireBC" on the Sensor kit for refrig. that I bought. Works great
FireBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBC View Post
Bought this on Amazon. Works great!
I have this same temp sensor set. I look at it all the time to see how my RV fridge is performing. I like the min/max memories so I can see how warm or cold it got between resets. I've used it to set my house fridge and deep freeze as well.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:15 AM   #8

RV fridges installed in a slide out will perform correctly provided the RV builder made the fridge compartment to norcold specs. That includes putting baffles in the correct locations to cause correct chimney effect. Current RVs should already have a fan or two on the back of the fridge when installed in a slide out. If you look through your norcold books, you will find the installation manual that provides the compartment specs and design.
If your fridge has fan(s) from norcold, the fan(s) will be shown in the wiring diagram on the back of the fridge.

I wouldn't bother with it till you find out if it performs well or not. If not broken, don't fix it.

My unit has two fans from the factory and isn't in a slide out. Mines the 4 door 12 cuft fridge. Mine performs great so far. It's seen some low 90's with low humidity. Also some 80's with high humidity. It also keeps temp while on the road. We have it set at 6 temp setting. That keeps it in the mid 30's. 7 will start freezing items.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:20 AM   #9
Site Team

Agree with Mopar_Earl's comments. The 2 vents have nothing with the type of fridge, they are there to provide ventilation because most fridges in a rig w/o slides have a vent on the roof. My rig came with a helper fan installed between the 2 vents from the factory. I did not even know it was there until the heard it running one day after I added one myself blowing upwards. Hot air rises anyhow so it naturally circulates up and out unless its in direct sunlight.

The only time mine runs is if I am parked in open sunlight on a very hot day.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:25 PM   #10

Thanks for all the comments, I will look to see if I have a fan from the factory, ours is a 8 cu. ft. refrigerator. According to the manual there is a optional fan listed, but I won't know until I go out and look at the unit and see where it might be if it has one.
But again, thanks for all the replies, I'm sure I'll think of something else as we get into the camper more.
2014 F350 SD Lariat, 4X2, Ext.Cab 8'Bed, 6.2Ltr gas, 4:30 Rear ratio
2008 Cedar Creek Fifth Wheel 34TSA, 37' (traded in)
2017 Jayco Eagle HT Fifth Wheel 27.5 RLTS
bogadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:01 PM   #11

Check in that space with the vents outside. My 2017 RLTS had fans already installed.

2013 F350 SRW
2017 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS

Dream it, Live it, Love it and Never Regret it!
MrWyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWyoming View Post
Check in that space with the vents outside. My 2017 RLTS had fans already installed.
X2 use flash light , Fan about 1/2 way between lower and upper vent
Archie is offline   Reply With Quote