Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2019, 08:49 AM   #1

28.5 rsts lighting

I have a 2017 28.5 rsts. The bedroom lights are now dimming intermittently and sometimes go completely out. Sometimes they come back on, full brightness and sometimes they stay off for quite a while. The other lights are not affected and this happens when connected to shore power. It has not happened (yet) when on just battery power but we are seldom inside when not plugged in during the evening.
I am assuming the issue would be the driver running the led’s in the bedroom but are not sure if I am correct or if I am, where it would be located.
The issue started a few days ago. I have no other known electrical problems.
Newt5005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:18 AM   #2

The bedroom lights should be 12volt, power is running to the lights from the switch with the switch getting power from the converter where the fuses are, that is fed by the batteries. There is no connection to the 110volt shore power, as far as the lights are concerned, shore power only charges the batteries. Seems to me the that if the issues is only when connected to shore power, that is a coincidence. I suggest first checking the wiring connection at the lights and the switch, could be loose wire. If it stills dims occasionally then is could be the connection from between the switch and the converter.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:24 AM   #3

I’m not sure how the ground wire runs, maybe directly from the lights back to the converter. That could also have a bad connection. Do you just have one light or two that are dimming? If it’s two lights, then is probably wiring, if you only have one light you could have a bad connection between the bulb and the socket. Take the bulb out and plug it back in again to make sure it’s connected well.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:19 PM   #4

The 4 ceiling lights plus the 2 blue lights over the head of the bed are affected, all dimming as one. The light ( on a separate switch) over the passenger side window is not affected. The 2 blue lights mentioned are switched separately.
Newt5005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:49 PM   #5

First, I’m not sure....Your dealership should figure it out. Mine is in storage or else I would pull some switches and look.

I would suspect that the bedroom and blue lights pull from the same source.

Try pulling fuses to see what lights are connected on the same circuit. If all three bedroom lights are on the same fuse, then the connection problem is common between those lights and may be in the middle somewhere.

Try this scenario, let’s assume the power goes from the converter to the first switch closest to the converter, mine would be the main bedroom switch. Jayco will try to use the least amount of wire possible. That switch could power the main lights and also have a leg that continues to power the blue lights at the headboard. (I’m not saying the switch controls the headboard also, they just share a power source). The problem would be with the power between the converter and the first switch, or they may share a common ground that does not have a good connection. Most likely these wires are traveling UP, maybe through the roof and then down to the headboard. In this case, pull the first switch and tighten the connections. Next would be to check the other end of that wire connecting at the converter. Then check the ground wires at the converter and see

The light at the window that’s not affected, is that one in the slide, like mine? If so it may draw power from near the floor and could go DOWN to the converter directly or to the bathroom lights. Most all slide wiring in somewhere near the bottom. That would explain why it’s not affected.

I don’t know if the ground travels together with the power wire. Either way I still think it’s just a connection issue. When the wire warms up from use the connection gets worse.

Gary
2017 291rsts
Old 05-08-2019, 03:58 PM   #6

Also, when shore power is plugged in, the converter is charging the batteries. So, instead of approximately 12.5 volts going to the lights, you may have as much as 14.1 volts. That’s about 12% more power, which means more heat, which could cause the connection to become worse. Shore power may not cause the problem, just make it worse.