Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2020, 03:26 PM   #1

Question 28.5 rsts second ac unit questions

I am looking for advise on what AC unit is the best for in the bedroom. what is the difference in colemans mach 8 and 10 ? My unit is ducted and has 6 ceiling
registers, is that enough or are they large enough ? What cover do I need inside for the ceiling ? I know a lot of questions but I want to do it right.
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 03:34 PM   #2

Mach 8 is the Ultra Low profile which is only 8" high. Other wise cooling capacity is the same. Depends on what height you need.
Old 06-06-2020, 05:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Mach 8 is the Ultra Low profile which is only 8" high. Other wise cooling capacity is the same. Depends on what height you need.
This is the unit we have for our front ac. Works well and we are pleased with the performance and exterior height reduction.
2nOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 05:55 AM   #4

Can you divert the airflow to just the bedroom or the ducts?
Old 06-06-2020, 06:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperactive View Post
Can you divert the airflow to just the bedroom or the ducts?
If you buy the "CHILL GRILL" ceiling assembly with the a/c, which are sold separate in various configurations.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:20 AM   #6

Quote:
I am looking for advise on what AC unit is the best for in the bedroom. what is the difference in colemans mach 8 and 10 ? My unit is ducted and has 6 ceiling
registers, is that enough or are they large enough ? What cover do I need inside for the ceiling ? I know a lot of questions but I want to do it right.
I assume it's prep for the 2nd air? What year?

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:36 AM   #7

2018, ducts are there but no power! I will run a dedicated 20 amp line into the basement and use a second power cord to the 20 amp receptical on the pedistal only when is is needed.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:46 PM   #8

Quote:
2018, ducts are there but no power! I will run a dedicated 20 amp line into the basement and use a second power cord to the 20 amp receptical on the pedistal only when is is needed.
You removed the roof vent ceiling trim and verified the existing ducting is there? You may have to go with a direct ceiling discharge assembly if the ducts aren't at the 14×14 hole.

What about thermostat wiring? If you put a ducted unit in, it will need a wall thermostat.

Earl
Old 06-06-2020, 03:27 PM   #9

There is ducts and why can't I use the thermostat on the unit ?
Old 06-06-2020, 04:18 PM   #10

Quote:
There is ducts and why can't I use the thermostat on the unit ?
That would be a direct discharged ceiling assembly, not ducted. Never saw a ducted ceiling assembly with a built in thermostat.

Earl
Old 06-07-2020, 09:44 AM   #11

I installed a Mach 8 with the Chill Grill and it has worked really well with the ducted system on our 2018 Eagle HT 28.5 RSTS. We did order the trailer wired for a 2nd AC but should have ordered it with the bedroom AC! I went with the Mach 8 to keep the trailer height down. Probably saved me when I drove under a canopy with a mislabeled height at a gas station. I took out the bathroom vent cover but luckily the Mach 8 cleared.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:56 PM   #12

Quote:

I met a guy in a KOA on the way out West and he told me how he did this to his rig. My 28.5 is just a 30 amp trailer and its a major mod to bring it up to 50 amps. So I put the Coleman low profile on the bedroom vent and routed my 20 amp cord into the garage and installed a plug on the side of the trailer. All I have to do is unwind the cord and plug into the 20 amp section on the pedestal and its a stand alone AC unit. Theirs 2 knobs on the grill that adjusts the temp and what your using and I even put the heating element in there to if needed. I have been running this set up for a year now and its worked out very well.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:18 AM   #13

Jim, that's what I am planning on doing. Thanks
Old 06-09-2020, 08:14 AM   #14

The hardest part was fishing the electric line from the bedroom to the basement. Only way I could find was running it to the bathroom and I had to cut a circular hole ( 1") that allowed me to feed it into the tall panty in the kitchen area on the other side of the wall. I cut another circular hole inside the pantry which I covered with a capped electrical box into the side of the pantry wall and was able to run it right down a open section between the walls and it went right into the garage.

Here is what I bought to do the job.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=AIRXCEL+0...ref=nb_sb_noss

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=AIRXCEL+0...ref=nb_sb_noss

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Coleman+D...ref=nb_sb_noss

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-09-2020, 11:44 AM   #15

Jim, did you go with the 13,500 btu or the15,000 btu unit ? What about a thermostat ?
Old 06-09-2020, 11:58 AM   #16

I think I did the 13.5 With this setup I didnt have any duct work in my vent hole so it just blows out the louvers in that grill. There are 2 knobs on the ceiling on the grill. One is for selecting cool, heat or air. The other know is for regulating temp and you need to play with it to figure out whats comfortable. I would put it in the halfway position and go from there.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:51 AM   #17

2nd A/C

I installed a domestic brisk2 I the rear a/ c hole where the fantastic fan was. Ran dedicated 20 line to the panel since mine was pre wired for a second ac I used those wire to wire in the unit. It gets very cold and asts as noise suppressor for outside sounds. It’s a bit noisy though.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 11:16 AM   #18

Quote:
We have the same model Eagle HT and recently added a Mach 10 w/Chill Grill to the bedroom and so far it's been great. Although it is a bit louder than the standard size 13.5k main unit that came on the FW since the intake is larger. But overall not bad at all. Ours had 2nd AC prep and I had a mobil RV guy install it. It was pre-wired with the wiring behind the bedroom light switch in the hallway.

The Mach 10 is 11" tall and is roughly the same height as the standard model in the rear. So clearance is about the same. We have yet to take it out camping yet, but on a 95 degree day it kept it nice and cool. But we have very dry air here in Nevada. We got the model without the heating element, so you need a cool only thermostat. You also need the correct controller. Below is the cool only thermostat and a pic of the fw so you can see the height compared to the main one in the rear...

Andersen Ultimate w/Andersen Bed Shaft
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 11:46 AM   #19

Quote:
I would think if the ducts are there and sealed off, the power wires would be there also, mine were on our 2017. There was a hole busted in the rear of the opening where the vent housing was and the wires were in there along with some type of 110v box. Below is a pic of the hole I am talking about. You can also see the sealed vet...

Andersen Ultimate w/Andersen Bed Shaft
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyGTX View Post
I would think if the ducts are there and sealed off, the power wires would be there also, mine were on our 2017. There was a hole busted in the rear of the opening where the vent housing was and the wires were in there along with some type of 110v box. Below is a pic of the hole I am talking about. You can also see the sealed vet...

What is that hole there? Oh, I read your post on but you would think that they would have done a better job, I guess they figure that it will stay hidden.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote