Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-05-2016, 12:11 PM   #1

29.5 BHDS Bathroom Vent Leaks in the rain.

Hi, this past weekend, we had some rain on Friday night, and some rain last night. Friday was pretty heavy, where last night wasn't that bad. I noticed that each time it rained, the vent in the bathroom which was open leaked water inside. I was under the impression that this vent had a lid on it to prevent water from coming in. This vent you cannot put a maxxair cover on it so the design should prevent rain from getting in. Has anyone else with this model or this type of vent had this happen?

It only leaks when open. If I leave for the day and leave it open, and it rains, I will have a puddle in the bathroom.

My Mods Page
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ods-35390.html
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spepi View Post
Hi, this past weekend, we had some rain on Friday night, and some rain last night. Friday was pretty heavy, where last night wasn't that bad. I noticed that each time it rained, the vent in the bathroom which was open leaked water inside. I was under the impression that this vent had a lid on it to prevent water from coming in. This vent you cannot put a maxxair cover on it so the design should prevent rain from getting in. Has anyone else with this model or this type of vent had this happen?

It only leaks when open. If I leave for the day and leave it open, and it rains, I will have a puddle in the bathroom.
I haven't run into that situation yet but I will keep my eyes open on that and see if mine does. We have quite a few trips planned for the rest of July so I will keep watch out to see if it does.
2015 F250 Lariat 6.7 diesel
Camping_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:04 PM   #3

We have had our rig now for over 9 months, and we thought it was a good idea to have our roof inspected for cracks/missing dicor sealant. And, boy were we glad we had it done! The inspection showed both cracked and missing chunks of sealant in several key vents and at AC mount openings. They ended using two tubes of Dicor and showed us pictures of what they'd found. So, the lesson, here, is to never assume that just because the rig is new, everything is fine.
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:54 AM   #4

I was up on my roof last night and the night before doing an instal of a maxxfan deluxe and a maxxair II. I found at least 30 locations that were cracked or missing sealant. I went through an entire tube of dicor sealing everything. And my rig is 1 year old already. Sooooooo,..I wonder what sort of water penetration I have had over the last year. Kind sucks but it is what it is.
Phatkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:37 AM   #5

Scott, I have not noticed and leaking in mine yet. We were out from last Thursday-Monday and it rained Friday night. No leaks in mine (Knock-on-wood) so far. But I think I will get back up on my roof and do a really good / close inspection of the sealant. I want to be sure everything is good before our 3000 mile trip in 2 weeks!

Dave...

2013 Ram 2500, CTD, CCLB 4x4 in True Blue - SOLD

2016 Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS Picked-up 4/1/16
2007 Rockwood ROO 21SS - SOLD
Aero_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:17 AM   #6

Good idea Dave! We're leaving for a 5,000 mile round trip ourselves this Saturday. And, we know we're going to run into some rain for sure. We'll still keep our eyes opened for any potential leaks and keep our fingers crossed.
Queen Creek, Arizona
Old 07-06-2016, 09:08 AM   #7

I also have a leak. Mine's going in to have the vent replaced under warranty. If you look on the top of the vent on each end where it bends over it is paper thin and mine started cracking. I covered it with clear packing tape to stop the leak until it was replaced and it worked. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:15 AM   #8

Great idea John. I just bought a roll of 20 mil insulation tape and used it to wrap the propane hose from chaffing against the compartment door. And, now I may have another purpose for it. I also keep a tube of silicone and a tube of Dicor sealant in the rig, in case I ever need to use any of them on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWedell View Post
I also have a leak. Mine's going in to have the vent replaced under warranty. If you look on the top of the vent on each end where it bends over it is paper thin and mine started cracking. I covered it with clear packing tape to stop the leak until it was replaced and it worked. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Queen Creek, Arizona
Old 07-06-2016, 02:13 PM   #9

I just replaced mine as well. A few weeks ago it rained noticed leak. Got home climbed up on the roof. The "hinge" as a previous poster noted is paper thin. One side was completely missing and the other side was cracked the entire length of the hinge. It was less than a year old and that vent had probably only been opened a half a dozen times or so. It also had a very small hairline spider web crack in the top. Pushed on it very lightly finger went right through it. The entire top is pretty thin not just the hinges. Our local (45 miles each way) camping world authorized service center is pathetic. Takes weeks to get in, weeks to get the repair authorized, weeks to get the parts ordered and weeks to get back in to get the repair completed. Last warranty work I had done it took right at six months from first visit to completion and three trips. I replaced the unit myself with a fantastic vent fan. It cost me less time and money to do it myself at least this repair than to take it in and have it covered under warranty. The new vent fan has a better warranty and the cover has a lifetime warranty and can be changed without taking the whole fan out of the roof. While changing it I also noticed some severe cracking in sealant around the vent pipes and antenna. The antenna crack you could see bare metal and roof through the crack. I was less than thrilled with the quality that day for sure. However replaced fan, patched up the cracked sealant and so far so good. Last week was using it and it rained 5 out of 7 days and no leaks that I could see. Hopefully it stays that way.
barryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:15 PM   #10

Quote:

Lots of water in my bathroom if the roof vent is left open during ANY rainfall!

Fortunately, most of it lands on the toilet lid. Easily mopped up.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:27 PM   #11

We have same unit we came to camp heavy rains and we had water on the floor in Bathroom, the vent knob was open so I closed it and will see what happens now
Manitoban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:11 PM   #12

Quote:

I read your post 3 times and am wondering if you have a cover over the vent. Cuz if you don't and you leave the vent lid open, it will let rain water in, no doubt about it.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:24 PM   #13

The vent is designed to be left open. If it leaks something is wrong.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
I read your post 3 times and am wondering if you have a cover over the vent. Cuz if you don't and you leave the vent lid open, it will let rain water in, no doubt about it.
So the way this vent works is, you turn the knob about a half turn, and that lifts the lid which opens the sides to let air in and out. I am guessing it only opens 1/2" if that....then you turn it, and it lowers down to close. There is a built in cover on it designed so you dont need a vent cover.

My Mods Page
Old 07-08-2016, 06:51 AM   #15

It doesn't lift the lid it opens a flapper. The lid is fixed.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWedell View Post
It doesn't lift the lid it opens a flapper. The lid is fixed.
Much better way to describe it. Thanks. At the end of the day, there shouldnt be any water

My Mods Page
Old 07-09-2016, 05:50 PM   #17

Ours does the same. Everything about that vent/fan disappoints me. Our fan quit working on our 2 week trip we just got home from. Wife wants to have the dealer fix, I want to just put a Fantastic vent or Maxx air vent in its place instead of getting garbage to replace garbage.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:52 AM   #18

Mine was cracked and I didn't notice until I got it home after initial pick up. I put gorilla tape on it and took it on the initial camp. Took them 3 weeks to get the replacement vent. These things are cheap and honestly, I don't see myself opening the darn thing at all. Will just run a small fan to circulate air
Freeriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdash View Post
Ours does the same. Everything about that vent/fan disappoints me. Our fan quit working on our 2 week trip we just got home from. Wife wants to have the dealer fix, I want to just put a Fantastic vent or Maxx air vent in its place instead of getting garbage to replace garbage.
Ditto, not the greatest fan by any stretch. I had to 'rebuild' the on/off switch on our 2nd trip out, fan just wouldn't stay on as the disk inside wasn't making good contact.

That said, mine hasn't leaked during rain so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:40 PM   #20

Knock-on-wood, mine hasn't leaked either. I was up on the roof yesterday, inspecting all sealant closely before our trip. I checked the vent closely and I don't have any cracks and it appears to be some-what sturdy. Not something you can put your finger easily through as another posted mentioned. Mine opens and closes the same way (sides tilt up to vent) and the fan (so far) still works. We've been to 7 camping sites so far, for 17 nights so we are getting use out of our new rig.

Dave...

2013 Ram 2500, CTD, CCLB 4x4 in True Blue - SOLD

2016 Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS Picked-up 4/1/16
2007 Rockwood ROO 21SS - SOLD
Aero_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote