Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2016, 09:17 PM   #1

29.5 bhds not level when towing

We recently purchased a 29.5 bhds. I have a 08 f250 psd short bed. My truck is stock height but in 35" tires. I have heard that this is a jayco issue not making the trailers chassis taller but is there anything I can do to get the back end of the trailer more level. I noticed there is a second bolt hole about 3" lower where the leaf springs are mounted. Can I move the leafs down and gain the height I need. Any advice will help. Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
DavidsIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:19 PM   #2

Here is a picture of the hole in the leaf mount I found
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-09-2016, 10:00 PM   #3

Yup, that is the one draw back of the HT line. Moving everything down on the bracket will help some but won't fix it totally. Somebody here went all out and had a sub frame built to get the trailer leveled out. Hopefully that person will chime in before to long.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:01 PM   #4

I was able to use the adjustment in my hitch head to level the trailer. What kind of hitch are you using.

Hard to tell from the photos, what needs to happen to level it?
Old 08-09-2016, 10:17 PM   #5

If your picture is accurate I wouldn't worry about it. You look as level as most on the road.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:37 PM   #6

I had to drop my hitch to the lowest level in my truck box. The only thing left to do for me is to increase the factory pin box height thereby dropping the front end and raising the rear when hooked up.

I am having a shop install the heavy duty shackle kit on monday next week. Maybe Ill see what they can do with the suspension while they have everything apart as well.
Phatkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:39 AM   #7

You can also look at installing a Correct Track for another 2" lift.
Correct Trackâ„¢ Suspension Alignment System
I'm going to be installing this system at the end of this years camping season.

Dave...

2013 Ram 2500, CTD, CCLB 4x4 in True Blue - SOLD

2016 Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS Picked-up 4/1/16
2007 Rockwood ROO 21SS - SOLD
Aero_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:28 AM   #8

I had the dealer adjust my suspension to the bottom holes on the spring hangers before I took delivery. Mine is close enough to level and I'm happy with the clearance to the bed rails. My truck is on factory sized tires though.....

If that doesn't get you close enough, you either need a sub-frame or ditch the 35's.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
I was able to use the adjustment in my hitch head to level the trailer. What kind of hitch are you using.

Your truck must not be as tall? In order to level the OP's situation, the trailer has to go up.

I have always thought that the pin box/hitch height adjustment is used to set the clearance over the bed rails and trailer suspension adjustments (or sub-frames, bigger tires, etc) are used to level the trailer. Doesn't do much good to level it with the pin box if that results in only a couple inches of bed rail clearance.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post

Im running a husky 16k slide hitch. I thought about lowering it but i think ill have the dealer do that. I dont really know any of the tolerances on the truck to hitch spacing.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdash View Post
I had the dealer adjust my suspension to the bottom holes on the spring hangers before I took delivery. Mine is close enough to level and I'm happy with the clearance to the bed rails. My truck is on factory sized tires though.....

If that doesn't get you close enough, you either need a sub-frame or ditch the 35's.
I just didn't know if it was safe to run it on the lower hole. It doesn't effect the ride on the lower hole? I cant ditch the 35s just yet, I only have 4k miles on them.lol I have to get the ass end up on the trailer because i have a thule hitch bike rack and Im afraid Ill drag coming out of some driveways.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:04 PM   #12
tld

Adjusting to lower hole won't affect ride

Adjusting to the lower hole will not affect how your 5th wheel pulls or rides and is what you need to do. I had the same problem trying to pull my Eagle HT with my Ford F250 4x4 diesel. I had the dealer make the adjustment and then I lowered my pin box to the lowest setting (still had plenty of bed rail clearance). Fixed my problem completely. But you should know that adjusting to the lower hole is not something to try your self. It took two guys over 2 hours to make the adjustment on mine at the dealers shop where they had plenty of jacks, the right tools and had done it before. The cost was on the dealer since he said that the trailer would fit my truck.
tld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:45 PM   #13

Looks quite level to me I have same trailer I pull mine with my 1/2 ton Silverado and it's quite level
Manitoban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsIV View Post
I just didn't know if it was safe to run it on the lower hole. It doesn't effect the ride on the lower hole? I cant ditch the 35s just yet, I only have 4k miles on them.lol I have to get the ass end up on the trailer because i have a thule hitch bike rack and Im afraid Ill drag coming out of some driveways.
When I was a service advisor at an rv dealership we had a guy buy a triple axle raptor and was towing it with a lifted truck. We added blocks between the axles and springs on the raptor to raise it 2" never saw the guy again before I left there so it must've worked.....
kreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsIV View Post
We recently purchased a 29.5 bhds. I have a 08 f250 psd short bed. My truck is stock height but in 35" tires. I have heard that this is a jayco issue not making the trailers chassis taller but is there anything I can do to get the back end of the trailer more level. I noticed there is a second bolt hole about 3" lower where the leaf springs are mounted. Can I move the leafs down and gain the height I need. Any advice will help. Thank you
Do you have an "auto" slider hitch? Those puppies seem to sit really high in the truck beds and they don't help the cause.

I also have a similar set up with a 29.5BHDS (2015) and my F250 (2016) with 6.5ft box and I had the same issue.

I moved my trailers pin box up as high it would go up into trailer (not hard to do on the 4 bolts with a couple of big box wrenches and maybe a strong bar) and then moved my hitch to a lower setting in truck bed. My set up still sits a little nose high but I can live with it. If you can do this...try to keep somewhat of a good clearance between the bottom of trailer and the truck box as not to hit the top of box when you hit uneven ground.

My problem was much worse when i had the Pullrite 16K Superglide hitch, as it sat higher in the truck bed, but everything seems to be better now with my newer Husky 16K (manual slider).

Good luck!
GiddiYup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:13 PM   #16

I agree! Looks pretty leveled to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboocreek View Post
If your picture is accurate I wouldn't worry about it. You look as level as most on the road.
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:21 PM   #17

I 'm having the same issue. Yours looks closer to being level than mine. The dealer told me because the trailer is a half ton towable it will ride nose high with a bigger truck... I never owned a fifth wheel so i didn't know any better. What do you guys think??

Kevin O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:36 PM   #18

Kevin,

Actually, yours doesn't really look that bad. Yes, it's a bit nose high, but you can still tow it for a bit without adversely affecting anything. In our case we have a 2015 Ram 2500, which was a little higher and we were about 8 inches nose high. After maxing out all the possible adjustments (pin box, springs, axle flip, etc.) we ended up having a 4-inch sub frame added. Our trailer is now leveled and towed very well. We've just completed a 5,000 mile road trip with no issues whatsoever--even with wicked crosswind in Colorado!

After you'd towed for about 5,000 to 8,000 miles or so, you will want to upgrade your shackles, bolts and bushings to a more heavy duty ones. We went ahead and had ours upgraded when we had the sub-frame done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin O. View Post
I 'm having the same issue. Yours looks closer to being level than mine. The dealer told me because the trailer is a half ton towable it will ride nose high with a bigger truck... I never owned a fifth wheel so i didn't know any better. What do you guys think??

Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:40 AM   #19

When driving down the road, the trailer should be as level as possible. An inch off won't make a big difference.
Fix it if you can or some suspension parts will wear out prematurely. Also, a level trailer with proper pin weight reduces chucking.
Camp On!
Mule: 2016 RAM Mega Cab Dually, 4X4, Demco HiJacker 21K Autoslide on RAM Puck, Laramie, 6.7, Aisin, 4:10's, 51 Gallon Titan fuel tank, Superhitch 30K lb receiver, Jack Rabbit bed cover.
Wagon: 2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA, Sailun G's, Center Point Air Suspension, 572 Watts Solar w/4 T-145s, Solid Step, 1 ton mini split HVAC, Back up cam.
Tote: Custom built swivel wheel tote (one torsion axle w/dual tires) with a Rampage lift.
Drifter1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:53 AM   #20

It looks pretty darn level..........
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote