Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-15-2018, 04:09 PM   #41

Aww I think understand now a little more.

Are you using a bunch of water in your black tank? Sounds like you might not be and there was just too much solids for it to flow out like it should. Some people also report the round circle from where they drilled a hole in the tank is sometimes left in the tank.

Maybe when you opened the black tank valve just a bit worked its way into the pipe system. Then when you opened the gray tank it back flowed a little into where the black matter was collected and loosened it up enough to work its way out.

If you left the black tank valve open you might have even backwashed some gray water into it if you had both open at the same time.
vegasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:15 PM   #42

Yes. I will make sure everything is flushed and do more monitoring of the tanks. Since I left the two front ones open I assumed I didn't have to monitor my tanks. I think that was a mistake. Any chance I caused damage that I need to fix?
mlcote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:50 PM   #43

Remember that there are pipes connecting all those tanks together in the front. If the trailer is not level then when you drain the black tank some of that goes up each of those other lines.

So, dump the black first, then the middle and front grey tanks. When you pull the grey tank handles you'll get a bit of black sewage as the lines are 'flushed' by the grey water. On mine the middle grey tank pipes can hold a gallon or more depending on how level the rig is.

The rear tank is completely separate from the front ones.

And, yes, when I got mine I did the food color trick to make sure which handles drained which tank.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:52 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlcote View Post
Yes. I will make sure everything is flushed and do more monitoring of the tanks. Since I left the two front ones open I assumed I didn't have to monitor my tanks. I think that was a mistake. Any chance I caused damage that I need to fix?
Not likely. I usually leave my grey tank valves open. Normal usage will keep enough moisture in them to keep the seals from drying out.

When you put it in storage then close the valves and put a little water in each. When you winterize make sure enough antifreeze goes in each tank.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:03 PM   #45

Excellent. Thank you for the information. I was not aware of keeping some liquid in them to protect the seals.
mlcote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:54 PM   #46

It is also a good idea to flush them out every now and then. When travelling put at least a few gallons of water in the tanks to swish around. Then when you get to a campsite you can open them up to get the crud out.

My bathroom tank has not been too bad about this but the kitchen tank accumulates 'stuff' over time that needs to be taken care of.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:33 PM   #47

Coconut oil is also great to use.
jnpj6279 is offline   Reply With Quote