Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-14-2018, 03:50 PM   #1

29.5 BHOK Questions

Let me start off by saying we absolutely love this trailer.

Has anyone had any issues with their tank valves? Mine worked great for a few months and then one day I opened the cap and got a real nasty surprise, blasted with a couple liters of water. I was 90% sure it was grey water as it didn't stink like black water. I bought a cover that has a garden hose attachment on it so I could drain out the water into my hose before I took the cap off. The dealer couldn't get it in for a few weeks so this was the temporary solution. They found the grey tank valve for the kitchen passing. I have had it back for a month and it still wasn't perfect, there was always a little water there and now the last 2 dumps it has been almost pressured up and 3-4 liters of water. Yesterday it was definitely black water as there was a little turd come out. I'm pretty annoyed as I've had RV's for 20 years and have never had an issue with valves. Is this common to the BHOK?

Second question is about the sliding bathroom door, my little strap has ripped twice that holds the door on. Not ripping in half but the little button just keeps ripping it's way down the strap. Anyone come up with anything to hold the door better than that strap?
Jwoodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:20 AM   #2

we have the same camper and love it also.

I had the same problem with the leaking black tank valve. I figured out it only happens when i travel on really bumpy roads. I am not sure if the valve is working loose or what is happening. I picked up an external waste valve and I have nothing to worry about now. I hook up the sewer hose and then open the valve.

When the camper goes in for service I will have the dealer look at it.
whjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:06 PM   #3

I replaced our strap with a piece of leather, looks better and stays in place. You can often get a shoe repair place to make it for you, use take in the old strap so they can make the right size.

2016 F350 PSD
2010 Jayco 30.5 RLS
Bearles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:41 PM   #4

On every rig I’ve had I always put another waste valve at the end just for that reason. We haven’t had any issues with our strap (yet) but will remember the leather if we do.

I just replaced my bathroom faucet today with a high rise type. That cheap plastic one was not cutting it.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by whjake View Post
we have the same camper and love it also.

I had the same problem with the leaking black tank valve. I figured out it only happens when i travel on really bumpy roads. I am not sure if the valve is working loose or what is happening. I picked up an external waste valve and I have nothing to worry about now. I hook up the sewer hose and then open the valve.

When the camper goes in for service I will have the dealer look at it.
Thanks for the tip. I’d never heard of this external valve. What a great idea.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearles View Post
I replaced our strap with a piece of leather, looks better and stays in place. You can often get a shoe repair place to make it for you, use take in the old strap so they can make the right size.
Great idea, leather will do a much better job.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:58 PM   #7

Yep, same trailer, same outlet valve. I also tried to figure out which was leaking (food coloring). By color it was the kitchen grey tank. But, I'd have toilet tissue in the mix as well. My thoughts were as above, that bumpy roads make the valve open a bit.

The door strap on ours survived many trips so didn't have to change it.

We did hit some really good bumps on one trip that caused the bottoms of the drawers in the BH to fall out. I ended up reinforcing the drawers and changing the support wood for the drawers (factory uses cheap 1/8" plywood and some staples).
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:16 PM   #8

x10 on the external valve. I had the same issues the first couple times i went out and had one really bad experience before i went and got one. I think my issue is related to dumping while the trailer is nose high and connected to my truck, all the water can't make its way out. I haven't really noticed as much water when i camp at a place with full hookups the next time i take it out after dumping there.

I haven't had any issues with the strap, but i have had the rail guide at the bottom pop out multiple times.