Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-27-2019, 04:09 PM   #1

2nd A/C

Hi everyone.

We've been looking at Eagle HT's and have kind of settled on the 27.5RLTS. It's a small - 30' - rear living room trailer.

I see on the Jayco site it comes standard with 30 amp service, and I've seen several in the wild so-equipped, but I also see them with 50 amp service and 2nd A/C prep. Never having had a 5th wheel before I thought I would ask those who know if I would be happier with 2 air conditioners or will the one 15K unit be enough? We live in north Pennsylvania but it can be surprisingly hot here (I think - can't really remember warmth right now), and we'll travel this summer to warmer places. We keep our house at 68, or even lower all summer so that's about what is comfortable for us.

As a side question, has anyone forced their teenage daughter to sleep on the pull-out sofa, and if so how did that turn out?
KillerIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:21 PM   #2

I have. 2018 35’ Eagle. I’ve found that my main unit holds a comfortable temp up to and outside temp of around 85 before I run my bedroom ac. The bedroom unit is loud so I rarely use it. FYI I’m in Key West now for the last month. Also from NW PA. Warren to be exact.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:24 PM   #3

Well, I would say I rather have it and not need it than not have it and need it. I say this because the wife and I went to Las Vegas last year in September and we only had the one a/c and I will tell you we needed that second a/c. Now with the 30 amp it might be hard to run that second a/c, so now the one that we about to get do have two a/c. If you are planning on taken it to the hot climate like AZ or the like I would try to get that second a/c, it just a piece of mind.

But you might be able to do it with one but if you think about traveling to the deep down south or midwest i would consider it.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:24 PM   #4

Go with the second air conditioner. You won’t be disappointed. In a FW, allot of heat goes up to the bedroom. Your main ac will really have to work to get the FW cooled done. Another point to think of, if your main ac goes out for some reason, you will still have an ac to keep it some what comfortable. On any day above 90, you will be glad you have it.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:25 PM   #5

Yes you will be happier with the 2nd air especially if one went out. 50 amp's gives you so much more power for a lot of stuff (daughter and wife's hair dryer).
Get the 16" tires.

I'm a believer in getting all the options so you have no regrets.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:27 PM   #6

Always always get the second ac. 95% regret it when they don't. See it on here all the time. You can never have too much AC! Pennsylvania is humid as hell. Humidity is the enemy, not so much the heat.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
Humidity is the enemy, not so much the heat.
Earl
Definitely. That's why many areas in West Texas and New Mexico use "evaporative coolers" and not compressor driven air-cond.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:48 PM   #8

I would completely agree with everyone’s assessment to add the 2nd unit if your budget allows. You may not have to use it much but as has been stated, when you need it but don’t have it.... not good.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:53 PM   #9

The cost to add when ordering is a fraction of adding it after the fact. Like others have said " better to have and not need than to need and not have "
o2silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 07:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipinSC View Post
Go with the second air conditioner. You won’t be disappointed. In a FW, allot of heat goes up to the bedroom. Your main ac will really have to work to get the FW cooled done. Another point to think of, if your main ac goes out for some reason, you will still have an ac to keep it some what comfortable. On any day above 90, you will be glad you have it.
X2. There have been times when we were glad we had that 2nd AC. Helps cool the FW down faster. You’ll need the 50 amp service and you will be glad you did.
2nOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 07:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2silverado View Post
The cost to add when ordering is a fraction of adding it after the fact. Like others have said " better to have and not need than to need and not have "
I say get it. Also, if you sale or trade later it might be the deal maker.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 07:44 PM   #12

I have a much bigger unit but... get a minimum of the 50amp with second ac prep... even if you dont get the second ac from factory... it VERRRRYY expensive to convert over to 50amp after the fact... most people end up adding the 2nd ac and yes it's cheaper just to get from the beginning. Honestly I use my second only in dead of summer to help my main and when we just setup and want the unit to cool down faster.
Chiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 07:47 PM   #13

You want regret it.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:03 PM   #14

get two. if you dont need both, run the bedroom ac by itself, much quieter. in the rest of the coach.
Steve1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Definitely. That's why many areas in West Texas and New Mexico use "evaporative coolers" and not compressor driven air-cond.
Swamp coolers, spent many a night under those. They don’t work so well in Houston, hmmm wonder why.
Another vote for the 2nd AC

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:41 AM   #16

Thanks everyone. We have a 15K unit in the Jay Feather and it keeps the trailer cool enough but it takes a long time to get there. Never having had a fifth wheel I understand they are pretty well-insulated (for a trailer) and thought maybe one A/C would do. Thing is, I'm really susceptible to heat and after setting up I'm usually sweating pretty good so the coach cooling down quicker is worth the upgrade by itself. It's hard to find one on a lot with the 2nd A/C already in - most I've seen are prepped - so it's another decision: buy off the lot and get a better deal (in theory) or order and take a bit more of a beating. Eesh...sometimes I wish I'd never met RVing.
KillerIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerIsMe View Post
Thanks everyone. We have a 15K unit in the Jay Feather and it keeps the trailer cool enough but it takes a long time to get there. Never having had a fifth wheel I understand they are pretty well-insulated (for a trailer) and thought maybe one A/C would do. Thing is, I'm really susceptible to heat and after setting up I'm usually sweating pretty good so the coach cooling down quicker is worth the upgrade by itself. It's hard to find one on a lot with the 2nd A/C already in - most I've seen are prepped - so it's another decision: buy off the lot and get a better deal (in theory) or order and take a bit more of a beating. Eesh...sometimes I wish I'd never met RVing.
Depends alot on the dealer. My dealer 90% of them have second ac installed already. But I'm in virginia. My dealer is Charlie Obaugh, they are great BIG exclusive jayco dealer so they know their stuff. But at minimum get a 50amp prepped. You can add one as part of the deal with dealer doing the work. All they do is cut the hole and install... I bought mine off lot with 2nd already there. Yes I got a great deal on it
Chiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerIsMe View Post
It's hard to find one on a lot with the 2nd A/C already in - most I've seen are prepped - so it's another decision: buy off the lot and get a better deal (in theory) or order and take a bit more of a beating. Eesh...sometimes I wish I'd never met RVing.
Tell the dealer you want the 2nd a/c at cost after he gives you his final sale price or no deal.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:53 AM   #19

Even if the second ac unit is marginal if the main one goes out you have a backup. Just trying to think ahead."

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:04 AM   #20

The old saying, (it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.) I would suggest getting one with 2 A/C's. I have two and love it. Also with two A/C's and being a 50a service, I have a electric fire place to help heat things up when needed. Your paying for electricity anyways you might as well use it and save your propane.
As far as a teenager sleeping on the couch. If she wants to go then it's the couch or she doesn't go!!😉
Good luck in your quest!!
Chris
2017 Dodge Ram 2500, Laramie Longhorn, 4x4 Crewcab, 6.4L Hemi, 6' 4" Box, 3.73 Rear End, Dodge Air Bag System, Pullrite 16K, 2700 Hitch

Navy Veterian 🇺🇸 - Retired Nurse 💉
Chrisb-24 is offline   Reply With Quote