Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-20-2018, 08:57 AM   #1

2nd AC Brand. 29.5 bhds

I plan to install a second AC in the bedroom. I have taken down the trim for the vent and found that the wiring and Ducting ( The unit has second AC prep). From other threads, I understand that the Mach 15 is also used for the upfront AC unit. Is there any reason to stay with the Mach 15 or should I consider a different brand of AC. I installed and Atwood in my other trailer in really liked it.
Shall36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:03 AM   #2

Be sure to realize the extra height the bedroom AC will add. I had the factory install a low profile unit to keep the height down. The low profile unit was about half the height of the standard unit. It's a Mach 8 15k.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:52 AM   #3

I'm looking to do this exact same thing this spring. Did you already order parts and install? I'm having trouble getting confirmation on part numbers I need to order. Looks like just the A/C and the Ceiling Assembly are the two parts. I reached out to a local Camping World that sells Jayco, and they looked up the following parts (the notes are direct wording from the parts list they emailed me):

0216537 - 15k
0298019 - Grill/No Divider #8430A-6332
0230770 - tstat/coolonly
0186476 - Duct divider
0152070 - wire

I believe all the part numbers are Jayco part #s, except the #8430A6332 which if you leave off the last 2 looks like a ceiling assembly. No indication if the "15k" is the low profile or not, but I suspect not. I can't find where I can cross reference Jayco #s to manufacture. I also reached out to Airxcel to see if they could help out.

Anyone have experiencing ordering the proper parts for this project?
Old 03-21-2018, 12:16 PM   #4

Those are probably CW's catalog numbers not JAYCO's.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:46 PM   #5

Possibly; I searched CW's website with the number and didn't get matches. Maybe something internal? They look alot like the numbers found here: Jayco RV parts catalog & sales. Either way, finding correct parts has been alot of fun.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erren View Post
I'm looking to do this exact same thing this spring. Did you already order parts and install? I'm having trouble getting confirmation on part numbers I need to order. Looks like just the A/C and the Ceiling Assembly are the two parts. I reached out to a local Camping World that sells Jayco, and they looked up the following parts (the notes are direct wording from the parts list they emailed me):

0216537 - 15k
0298019 - Grill/No Divider #8430A-6332
0230770 - tstat/coolonly
0186476 - Duct divider
0152070 - wire

I believe all the part numbers are Jayco part #s, except the #8430A6332 which if you leave off the last 2 looks like a ceiling assembly. No indication if the "15k" is the low profile or not, but I suspect not. I can't find where I can cross reference Jayco #s to manufacture. I also reached out to Airxcel to see if they could help out.

Anyone have experiencing ordering the proper parts for this project?
I did not buy a unit yet, and i can't validate those numbers, but that looks like everything you would need. You shouldn't need the wire, as the thermostat wiring is already in the ceiling/wall. Depending on where you order from, you may end up ordering the top unit, thermostat, and the interior ducted assembly, which would come with the divider. What's interesting is that Coleman doesn't make it easy to figure out exactly what you need to make it work and they have quite a few different configurations of topside and interior components.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:10 PM   #7

I hear ya. I suspect it's difficult to find parts because they want us going through dealer networks to get the parts; and pay the 20% markup. I have emails out to Airxcel, Jayco, my dealer, a RV parts site. Hoping one of them will come back with the proper parts. I'll post what I find.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:07 PM   #8
Site Team

We have the 2- 15k Airexcel units.

I like having both the same. The front unit is the high point on the rig but it only is about 4 inches higher than the low profile unit.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:39 PM   #9

UPDATE

I bought and installed a ducted Air Command 15k unit. I went this route because I think there’s more value in this unit than a comparable Mach unit. Install was not easy but it was a success, at least as far as I can tell so far.

Some thoughts:

- cools better than the factory installed Mach 15
- my rig had AC prep
- the 14” x 14” opening in the bedroom was slightly smaller than that and needed trimming to make it work
- the mounting bolts that come with the unit are too short metric bolts that are long enough are not readily available. I had to fabricated longer bolts
- I had to modify the provided plenum divider to make it taller using foam board from HD
- I used foam board and HVAC tape to seal things up
- I used the pre-run thermostat cable to pull through the Air Command specific cable
- I mounted the thermostat in the factory location above the light switch, but the thermostat’s display is a bit bright at night; I should have mounted it on the wall next to the bedroom door

Not a job for the faint of heart but doable if you have the right tools. A Mach 15 install may have been easier if the longer bolts and divider are readily available. I had two issues with doing a Mach setup. First, it wasn’t clear what part numbers were needed and what those actually included. Second was the price.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:10 PM   #10

Does Jayco install a larger generator when a 2nd AC is added at the factory?
Stargazerandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazerandu View Post
Does Jayco install a larger generator when a 2nd AC is added at the factory?
The Onan 5500 will run both ac units with power to spare.

Earl

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:30 PM   #12

Erren,
Any luck with those numbers in regard to your 2nd air conditioning unit?
opie8818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:41 PM   #13

Thank for asking/reminding me to update. This was a challenge to sort out. Dealers were pretty useless, and I couldn't really find an example parts list myself online anywhere. Seems like the RV service industry doesn't want to share

I ended up ordering the following 3 parts:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M8LFHT3 - tstat 8330-3862
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DG1T0YG - upper unit (went with the normal height; only 12.5ft when hitched. This is no taller then the existing unit.) Mach 15, 15k btu, black to match.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XJMT97R - lower unit/controls 8430A635

Some helpful notes that I discovered along the way - my unit is lateral ducted. When you pull down the existing vent shroud, you'll see 2 silver foil cutouts towards the rear of the camper. Those need cut open to access the duct-work. The 120v feed, and the tstat wire was stuffed towards the front of the camper in the hole (which was more someone took a hammer to it and made an opening, then a neat "hole." I ended up sealing around the opening with foil tape to keep the ac from pulling that hot air into the return.

Make sure the ceiling assembly you order has the control box in it. Many are sold without the controls/guts. I bought one that is heatstrip ready, in case I want to upgrade later.

Tstat wiring - this is in the wall right by door light switch. Factory included a 4 wire conductor. To use heat, you need a 5th wire, which I'll have to figure out how to run if I every decide to go that route.

Power (oh boy this was fun).

The opening in the ceiling has a 120v feed ready to go - that's straightforward. What isn't isn't figuring out 12v.

The thermostat needs 12v to operate. I was confused when it wouldn't work, thinking they control box wires that that tstat hooks to would send down 12v power. It does not. I ended up tracing the hot/battery side of the 12v light switch and splicing a spare 12v hvac wire I had at the house to supply power to the red lead on the thermostat. After that was figured out, everything worked as expected.

All parts came with instructions, so read all 3 manuals start to finish. Was actually very straightforward and would take maybe an hour to do again (not counting on scraping all the old sealant off the roof opening. I left the AC on the shipping pallet, leaned a ladder against the camper at a 45 degree angle, tied a rope around it, and drug it up the ladder, with a blanket wrapped around it to protect the roof. Had a helper follow it up and guide it.

I would not order the AC from Amazon again. UPS lost the first one, and the second one arrived on a poor excuse for a skid. I'd look elsewhere for the unit, but they are plenty of places online to purchase.

Finally, this has been by far the best upgrade I've done to our unit. Camped in Myrtle Beach, and was able to keep the camper at 70 degrees in the heat of the day, with high humidity outside - and have the units actually cycle on and off. Last year with 1 ac, I could barely cool the camper down to 74 at night. Both ACs run just fine on my Onan 5500. I start one after another just to be safe, but once both are going, the likely hood of both starting the compressors up at the same time is low. The Onan might still be fine, but I wasn't going to risk it.

Good luck, let me know if you have questions!
Old 07-03-2019, 03:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erren View Post
Thank for asking/reminding me to update. This was a challenge to sort out. Dealers were pretty useless, and I couldn't really find an example parts list myself online anywhere. Seems like the RV service industry doesn't want to share

I ended up ordering the following 3 parts:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M8LFHT3 - tstat 8330-3862
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DG1T0YG - upper unit (went with the normal height; only 12.5ft when hitched. This is no taller then the existing unit.) Mach 15, 15k btu, black to match.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XJMT97R - lower unit/controls 8430A635

Some helpful notes that I discovered along the way - my unit is lateral ducted. When you pull down the existing vent shroud, you'll see 2 silver foil cutouts towards the rear of the camper. Those need cut open to access the duct-work. The 120v feed, and the tstat wire was stuffed towards the front of the camper in the hole (which was more someone took a hammer to it and made an opening, then a neat "hole." I ended up sealing around the opening with foil tape to keep the ac from pulling that hot air into the return.

Make sure the ceiling assembly you order has the control box in it. Many are sold without the controls/guts. I bought one that is heatstrip ready, in case I want to upgrade later.

Tstat wiring - this is in the wall right by door light switch. Factory included a 4 wire conductor. To use heat, you need a 5th wire, which I'll have to figure out how to run if I every decide to go that route.

Power (oh boy this was fun).

The opening in the ceiling has a 120v feed ready to go - that's straightforward. What isn't isn't figuring out 12v.

The thermostat needs 12v to operate. I was confused when it wouldn't work, thinking they control box wires that that tstat hooks to would send down 12v power. It does not. I ended up tracing the hot/battery side of the 12v light switch and splicing a spare 12v hvac wire I had at the house to supply power to the red lead on the thermostat. After that was figured out, everything worked as expected.

All parts came with instructions, so read all 3 manuals start to finish. Was actually very straightforward and would take maybe an hour to do again (not counting on scraping all the old sealant off the roof opening. I left the AC on the shipping pallet, leaned a ladder against the camper at a 45 degree angle, tied a rope around it, and drug it up the ladder, with a blanket wrapped around it to protect the roof. Had a helper follow it up and guide it.

I would not order the AC from Amazon again. UPS lost the first one, and the second one arrived on a poor excuse for a skid. I'd look elsewhere for the unit, but they are plenty of places online to purchase.

Finally, this has been by far the best upgrade I've done to our unit. Camped in Myrtle Beach, and was able to keep the camper at 70 degrees in the heat of the day, with high humidity outside - and have the units actually cycle on and off. Last year with 1 ac, I could barely cool the camper down to 74 at night. Both ACs run just fine on my Onan 5500. I start one after another just to be safe, but once both are going, the likely hood of both starting the compressors up at the same time is low. The Onan might still be fine, but I wasn't going to risk it.

Good luck, let me know if you have questions!
Thank you very much. I ran into the same problem with the numbers. I will let ya'll know how it turned out.
opie8818 is offline   Reply With Quote