Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2018, 04:24 PM   #1

2nd AC issues with generator

We recently added a 2nd ac unit to our 2016 Pinnacle due to the lack of cooling by main unit. While trying to run both units off our new Onan 5500 generator the recently added unit in bedroom will cool for a few minutes then compressor kicks out and just fan running. Main unit seems to cool no matter what. If I turn main unit off and just run bedroom ac, it seems to be fine. Turn on main unit and within minutes bedroom ac cooling stops. No breakers have tripped and generator runs steady. I do hear something that sounds like it’s coming from under the floor like a relay kicking in or out when cooling stops.

Talked to rep from company I bought the generator from and he said if it was on the generator side it would run different and throw codes. My dealer says everything worked fine when they installed and hooked to 50 amp service. The day they installed was fairly cool so I’m not sure how accurate running it that day would have been.

Any help is appreciated.

Paul
Sagehornp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:43 PM   #2

We ran both a/c's with our 5500 ONAN, 2015 PINNACLE no problem. Also had TV going as well as elec water heater.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:21 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. I know I have plenty of generator and really think its in the unit or some type of relay.
Sagehornp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:24 PM   #4

Only thing that would click is transfer switch, but usually it would kill everything if not working properly.