Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-29-2014, 02:21 PM   #1

2nd AC unit in Nottheast/Mid Atlantic?

Hey all. Getting pretty close to choosing our new 5er. Looking at a Seismic, after looking at the Premier and Pinnacles, just fits our lifestyle better with our kids dogs, etc.

Units of all varieties on the lot we're looking at have central AC but only one unit installed. Prepped for 2nd. I was toying with the idea of having the dealer install the 2nd prior to initial delivery, and including it in the initial cost, however been told by a few that the second is overkill for New England and Mid Atlantic Summers.

For those with similar sized 5ers (35-37') in out region, your thoughts?

For the Seismic, during the day the rear 14' utility room will be shut off from the AC and opened up as a screened in room and party deck, but rear door closed and AC vents opened up at night for kids sleeping room.

Thx
P25ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:38 PM   #2

It is better to make a mistake of ordering a 2nd Bedroom AC and never have to use it, vs. needing the 2nd AC and you cant simply because you don't have it.

A second AC could come into play as a back up just in case the other fails while camping.

Also, RV with second AC have a better resale value.

All in all, if you are ordering a brand new unit, it doesn't cost that much to have it included as a factory option (~750). But if you have the wires already run, then the Dealer could install it for you for around ~1,200 give or take.

Choice is yours.

TOYOTA TUNDRA 5.7L V8- CrewMax W/tow Package
|TRD Offroad- Bilstein Shocks, PullRite SuperGlide Hitch, Timbrens SES, Tekonsha P3 Controller, BFG A/T Load Range E Tires, RollBak Tonneau Cover|
PKEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:52 PM   #3

I live in the mid atlantic area and it gets pretty hot in July and August. The other side is like you said, if you go with a Seismic it will be a lot less area to cool. We have a 31.5 RLTS and if you are in the sun most of the day, the AC is busy. We only have one AC and its barely enough if the AC has to start out in the middle of the day on a warm day. I think it is a judgment call. You can certainly live without it. But you can bet that there will be days that you would use both. My biggest concern would be if you are always going to have 50 amp power. We end up in spots that only have 30 amp available or we are boondocking and running off of a 30 amp generator. That 2nd AC is just dead weight if you don't have 50 amps. We wouldn't add the second AC for that reason.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by P25ct View Post
I was toying with the idea of having the dealer install the 2nd prior to initial delivery, and including it in the initial cost, however been told by a few that the second is overkill for New England and Mid Atlantic Summers.

Thx
First it will never hurt when it comes to re-sale or trade in. Also one year we did a tour that included a trip up to Moosinee in July (the southern tip of James Bay almost as far North as you can go in Ontairo) the temps were in the low 90's. You can always hit that summer that is way above average both with heat and humidity. I would buy it. JMHO
Old 03-29-2014, 06:14 PM   #5

I have to agree to be over ridden. Both PKEagle & Grumpy make a very valid point on the temps. We made a trip out West in the summer of 2011. The few times that i had access to 50 amp power, I sure would have used a second AC. Im not quite as sure about getting your money back come trade in time with a second AC. If you intend to camp in the mid atlantic and north east as you said, 50 amp power is more readily available. If you're traveling thru the day and stop in the afternoon or early evening, thats when the second AC would really shine!!
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:33 PM   #6

Well, that was easy! The coach has 50a shoreline and genset. Only makes sense to do it now. Thanks guys. And yes, temps here especially last 10 years in summer can get 95-105 for weeks on end. As for resale, depends on the buyer, but it's gotta be better than custom paint! Thanks gents.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:29 AM   #7

Seems this adding the AC unit is becoming a larger than necessary deal with the dealer. So the Seismics are pre wired, pre supported for another unit, and there is a central duct already. I'm being told that going with an OEM Jayco unit will require several other 'parts' to install, and even with the VIN Jayco couldn't say exactly what. Dealer suggested after market unit as they are equally as reliable and less expensive. As long as it has it's own warranty and adding it doesn't at all effect the Jayco 2 year, then sure. I've been told it doesn't effect the Jayco 2 yr. Why is this seeming to be difficult, or do I have an issue with the dealer not understanding or taking the time to understand? My guess was 1300$ tops to add the unit to the coach. I'm waiting to hear back. A 13.5k low profile would be fine.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:44 AM   #8

Weird that Jayco cannot confirm what the option model number would be since it is a factory option. You will need a thermostat and chill grill which are most likely the other parts. Expect a little higher on the quote based on what I got my first time around with adding one to my previous Jayco. You might try to call Jayco directly with a Vin # to see what they say directly. The dealers and owners do deal with most of the same people at Jayco, but worth a shot. Engineering should be able to tell you what they are installing at the factory.
Both my units this time around are low profile. You won't regret having the second unit it does help on those HHH days.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:05 PM   #9

"When in doubt, woop it out" That is my motto. It can't hurt you to have the 2nd AC unit and never use it. If you plan to get south of the Masson-Dixion line in the summer, you will need the 2nd AC.
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:17 PM   #10

When I ordered my Eagle I asked salesman about a second A/C and say wouldn't it. Went last summer and was very hot and the one air wouldn't keep up. So I have got me one to put on as soon as weather gets better. Just my 2 cents. Plus could have got it cheaper when it was ordered new.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by P25ct View Post
I'm being told that going with an OEM Jayco unit will require several other 'parts' to install, and even with the VIN Jayco couldn't say exactly what. .
An OEM is going to be an AirEXCEL (Coleman) and if you want it ducted you will need a thermostat and if that wiring is not already in the wall that would be the problem Pull the trim ring at that roof vent and see if there is more than just the 110 wiring in the ceiling. If the thermo wires aren't there then you can only use a non-ducted unit unless you add wire mold across the ceiling and down the wall for the thermo.

It really doesn't make any difference as to what brand, the problem of ducted vs non ducted remains the same. If the dealer is not sure then you have problems.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:21 PM   #12

The thermo and misc parts were required. Total was 1700 installed for a 15k low profile. It will be ducted. Thanks for the help and input on this. When we travel to FL or SC this summer I will thank you all!