Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2014, 11:38 PM   #1

2nd Bedroom A/C with 110 degree Temp sReview

Guys,
Since taking delivery of our 2015 Jayco Eagle Touring Edition, I had been looking forward to try out the 2nd bedroom A/C efficiency with Temperatures over 100 degrees.

Well, over the past weekend we travelled to St. George- Utah for a 5 day vacation. We camped out at a popular State Park (Sand Hollow State Park). The temperatures over the weekend topped up at 110 degrees during the day. I did notice that there were only a few campers at the state park (about 10% occupancy). Absolutely no tenters. Plus every single trailer present either had two A/C units and/or some type of improvised window mounted swamp cooler/ AC unit. This actually did explain a lot.

Anyway, I have the upgraded 15k BTU ducted/ central A/C unit in the living room. Plus dual pane thermal windows. Also, I have the 2nd 13.5 A/C unit in the bedroom.

With only the living room A/C operation it really tried hard to keep up with set room temperature of 72 degrees. It couldn't cool down below 85 degrees. However, with the 2nd A/C running, I had NO problem whatsoever to cool the room to 72 degrees or even lower temperature.

Since the bedroom A/C is not ducted, I had to leave both the bedroom main door and bedroom/ bathroom access door open for better air circulation.

We are extremely glad that we opted for this 2nd bedroom A/C. Without this unit, it would be like camping out in hell-literally.

Again, I always tell anyone that is contemplating on having a 2nd A/C unit installed. Please go for it. Don't even think about it. You better make a mistake of having it and never have to use it vs needing it and you don't have it.

Happy Camping.

TOYOTA TUNDRA 5.7L V8- CrewMax W/tow Package
|TRD Offroad- Bilstein Shocks, PullRite SuperGlide Hitch, Timbrens SES, Tekonsha P3 Controller, BFG A/T Load Range E Tires, RollBak Tonneau Cover|
PKEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:27 AM   #2

My parents full time and have the 2nd unit in the bedroom also. They absolutely love the fact they paid for that option. Dad had some medical issues this year and they are stuck in Florida for the summer and the 2nd A/C unit is what is saving them from the heat. My 29 BHS doesn't have the option for a second unit, but when I upgrade, I will get the 2nd unit if it is an option.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:47 AM   #3
Site Team

We have a 2013 EAGLE 284BHS with the DARK front cap. I complained to Jayco in the first month about the heat generated by the dark cap. They said that their Eng department knew that the temperatures from the darker cap would create a LITTLE more heat, they said add a 2nd AC unit. I said we dry camp so that is out.. they said use fans.

I have an IR temp gun and the dark cap reached temperatures over 200 degrees in the mid day sun. The temperature in the cabinets behind the cap have averaged above 150 degrees. The doors on the cabinets were about 130 degrees. The problem with this is that it is like a radiator.. that heat is transferred throughout the TT.

Keep an eye on your cap, as a main problem with the dark GEL caps (any mfr) is that some start to oxidize after a little while. Once it starts that process (if it does on yours) you can not stop it. Mine started after a month and progressively got worse. Last December, I contacted JAYCO and they agreed to strip the GEL coat and PAINT the cap. We opted to have the cap painted the same light color as the TT side. BEST THING WE DID. The temperature of the cap has not exceeded 119 degrees, close to the exterior temp of the roof and side in the sun. The front cap is now over 100 degrees cooler than the dark GEL coat front was. The inside of the cabinets is close to the same temp as the inside of the TT.

Jayco is not the only mfr that is encountering this issue according to the dealer that painted our TT.

Keep a close watch on your CAP for any signs of oxidation. Other than that we LOVE the EAGLE!!!

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:49 AM   #4
Site Team

As has been mentioned before,

A second AC will never be cheaper than it is when you get a new rig.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:07 AM   #5

We have a second a/c unit in the bedroom of our Eagle and we are so glad we added it at the time of purchase. We used it in MN on the hot muggy days before all the rains and flooding this past June. We originally thought we would be using it in AZ but ended up using it more in the Midwest.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:14 PM   #6

I completely agree! On hot days here in Oklahoma, I will turn on our front A/C and set a fan on the bed and blow the cool air down into the main room. I have had no problems keeping the camper cool even in temps over 100.
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
OkieCamperFisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:32 AM   #7

We just came in from the blistering heat here in Georgia. It was about 98 the last 4 days. Only needed the AC bedroom unit in the evenings. Boy, was it a blessing. Kept everything down to 72 degrees without any problems. During the day the 15,000 Ac in the living room keep the temp at 72 without too much struggling. We do have the Polar Package on our Eagle however.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote