Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-24-2019, 12:44 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Sell View Post
We have a 2016 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5. The tires look fine, still have lots of tread, no checking that I can see. We are leaving on a 5,000 mile trip and I am a little nervous about the tires. The question is...Should I replace them now?
Please check the DOT date codes on the sidewall. Some tires are 1 to 2 years old when installed on a new unit. It has been my experience that tires on RVs fail much more on the sidewalls that the tread. If the tires show to be five years or more after reading the codes, I would recommend replacing. Just me though.

Bill Posey
2017 Jayco Pinnacle 36FBTS
2008 Ford F-350 SuperDuty
Texas Best RV Inspections
NRVIA Licensed Inspector #2095
CoachPosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 12:57 PM   #42

Tires

Mine are rated for 75mph. Plenty fast enough . The tires made today are about the same quality as the trailers being sold.
Attached Thumbnails
7F817363-71D5-4726-A2B4-BE46D265E012.jpg  
jimmydcricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:03 PM   #43

I have over 20,000 miles on these & they look good for another 10K. This was standard issue from Jayco 2016-17
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Provider-...10080302008005
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:39 PM   #44

Tread wear is one thing to watch. In addition tire pressure and age are another. If your tires are five years or older, it is recommended that you replace them. Better safe than sorry.
1Cruzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 03:38 PM   #45

Tires

Obviously you are concerned about the tires. Do yourself a favor and replace them. No worrying about them any more, especially on the trip.
Primetimefulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 04:32 PM   #46

What you have to check is if there is hidden damage . To check if treath has beginning or ending seperation, you could hammer them at the treath and compare the sound with for instance you TV tires.

To comfirm suspicion of that, you could let me calculate a safe pressure with my extra safe system. If your used pressure then was lower, tiredamage can be expected, if higher or the same, the tires can last 6 years or more, as is normal in Europe for TT tires, mosly LT ( called C-tyres)
A single " for trailer use only" wich is calculated in maxload for 87mph , ST ( also Endurance ) are calculated in maxload for 65 mph, though Endurance gives maxspeed 87 mph. The maximum speed of tire is not always the speed for wich the maxload is calculated.
P-tires is an example , every speedcode above Q ( 99mph) is calculated in maxload for 99mph.
W and Y and R are exeptions, but to my conclusions you better also treath them as calculated for 99mph.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:23 PM   #47

Quote:
How do I know if the tires are Chinese?
it will be stamped on the tire.mine say made in CHIN HO.
trento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:36 PM   #48

Your 2016 Jayco could have been made in August 2015. The tires might have been made in 2014. Check the date code, which is stamped on the inner sidewall.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:44 PM   #49

I agree about the Endurance tires. Switch to them. I wouldn’t use light truck tires on a travel trailer. They’re not designed for it.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:50 PM   #50

No. The US made Goodyears don’t need to be replaced that soon.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:01 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmot View Post
I agree about the Endurance tires. Switch to them. I wouldn’t use light truck tires on a travel trailer. They’re not designed for it.
Do you know some high end 5th wheel manufacturers put LT tires on at the factory?

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:21 PM   #52

I run Goodyear lt tires after two tow max tires blew the first year I bought our fw. No problems in last six years.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:29 PM   #53

Locally the farmers run LT tires on their hay trailers. They couldn't keep ST tires on them. They grossly over load them and LT tires hold up. Choice of local farmers are the Firestone Transforce HT tires.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Old 08-25-2019, 07:55 AM   #54

One thing to consider is - where are you going on this 5000 mile trip? If the answer takes you way off the beaten track, get new tires. We headed down to Baja this year with about 4 seasons on our tires. We replaced them with Goodyear Endurance. Will you be doing a lot of interstate driving (ie higher speeds) or any other conditions that might be hard on the tires? Then for sure replace just for peace of mind.
marciaandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:48 AM   #55

Quote:
We have a 2016 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5. The tires look fine, still have lots of tread, no checking that I can see. We are leaving on a 5,000 mile trip and I am a little nervous about the tires. The question is...Should I replace them now?

"Lots of tread" is this just visual or measurement? One thing you should do at 3 years tire age (based on DOT) that has been used in trailer service is to measure the tread depth maybe every 6" all the way around the tire in each groove. If you find a low spot that had more wear, especially toward the shoulder that might indicate the start of a separation. Be sure to read THIS post on Why tires fail. You might also read my RV Tire Safety blog post on how I inspect tires including the "Free Spin" as seen in the video.

When you get new tires I recommend you get bolt-in valve stems. Standard rubber stems also can age out and I have seen more than one tire fail due to air leak from a failed rubber valve stem.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:37 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
If China tires I would replace with the only US made ST tires, Goodyear Endurance. Or any good brand US made LT tires.

Earl
Disagree I am running China Made Saliun S637 against Goodyear endurance on a triple axle toy hauler..China tires are out wearing Goodyear’s. Saliuns are 14 ply @110 psi vs Endurance at 10 ply @ 80 psi.... just ordered more Saliuns. Toyhauler is tough on tires 20k plus....LT tires not ever recommended for any kind of trailers...google RV tire engineers
I had Westlake China bombs at delivery. They were worst tire ever....broken belts uneven wear blowouts. China makes good and bad tires however tRumps tariffs will make this option not an option.
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...albums843.html Check this out.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-34672-3.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:32 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loboclone View Post
Disagree I am running China Made Saliun S637 against Goodyear endurance on a triple axle toy hauler..China tires are out wearing Goodyear’s. Saliuns are 14 ply @110 psi vs Endurance at 10 ply @ 80 psi.... just ordered more Saliuns. Toyhauler is tough on tires 20k plus....LT tires not ever recommended for any kind of trailers...google RV tire engineers
I had Westlake China bombs at delivery. They were worst tire ever....broken belts uneven wear blowouts. China makes good and bad tires however tRumps tariffs will make this option not an option.
The S637 is comparable to the Goodyear G614, not the Endurance
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:06 PM   #58

Quote:
When I replaced the tires on my old trailer in the spring of 2016 I found something very surprising. They were GY Marathon's and looked very good on the sidewalls and had great tread. They looked good. They were 5 years old and it's my policy to go no longer than 5 years no matter how good they look. I learned that the hard way. Anyway, I told the tire guy to save my good looking tires for me to use on a utility trailer. When I went to pick up my trailer and old tires the tire guy said two of the tires were ready to blow. He showed me how they had a area on the inside where a bubble had formed. So you can't tell by looking on the outside if the tire is beginning to separate on the inside. Once I started changing out my tires after the fifth year I haven't had a blowout. My new trailer has GY Endurance and after 20 months I haven't even had to add air to them. My tires were an upgrade I choose on my trailer (16" E-Rated) it would have come with (15" D-Rated) I believe these would probably go longer than the 5 years but I'll never know because they will get changed out after 5. A 5000 mile multi week trip deserves the peace of mind.
1998 HitchHiker II 31 RLBG (Sold 2012)
2002 Ford F350 7.3L Turbo, Crew Cab, DRW, 4:10 (Mint, Garage Queen)
TnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:43 PM   #59

Thanks
Gary Sell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:43 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loboclone View Post
You're comparing apples to oranges. Lol I'm sure your endurances weren't 14 ply 110 psi commercial tire. They were probably 10 ply 80 psi light duty tire.

I still suggest US made LT tires. You don't have to run them. Lots of ppl run them with better results. High end 5th wheel manufacturers install LT's at the factory.

Earl